a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

I've found that when many parts are worn or used up, just replacing the worst one makes these other worn out parts look even worse.
Probably the same shop that missed your pilot bearing episode could have missed those u-joints, and carrier bearing to.

i don't know exactly what else they inspected took a gander glance at other than exhaust hangers/shield that they said could be tapping on the frame cross members
its a real mystery what some of these ASE hacks do!

u-joints check as fine... not sure about the carrier bearing other than it being really saggy droopy looking
i will find the old part in the boxes somewhere and pipe in some pics asap

Those carrier bearings are noted for going tapioca. I replaced the one in my tundra when it got to be around 200k miles. it was pretty wasted. Even checking the output yoke from the transfer case was getting sloppy from when it was new. All that stuff wears out...you just gotta face up to it. Having enough toyotas over the last 45 years, you getting a good idea when they done. Throwing good cash, and parts after bad is just a dumb idea.

So I am learning it on the steep curve
But! Why are they failing so soon at a mere 87k miles on the gen2

11 degrees outside this moring
bestest opportunity to check for that proper speedo functioning

well the '97 and earlier tacoma does have a speedo that can get funky and did in my case :(
the '98s & up + those Gen3 T4R do not have this illl

tried out the cruise control on 29 north in a mildish wind
appears to be working proper again, cruised at 65 or 72 mph for an hour with no issues such as was before
it has been 2 many years since the cruise control was kosher, it will be nice to have it again but more testing needs done onit

well the '97 and earlier tacoma does have a speedo that can get funky and did in my case :(
the '98s & up + those Gen3 T4R do not have this illl
Never heard such a thing from anyone. When a speedo starts registering funky...it's either a bad cable, or a lubrication issue in the cable itself. That will happen to any analog speedo no matter who's brand vehicle.

Found 4 broken capped lug nuts that were less than 5 months old
Gotta replace and torque to 83 ft lbs
dorman crapped nuts :(

It was the use of power tools to zip off and zip on
I use breaker bar and easy to remove most of the time
Hand ratchet and torque wrench to install properly

IMG_20240228_145242_460.jpgIMG_20240228_145233_194.jpgIMG_20240228_145522_006.jpgIMG_20240228_145328_918.jpg

Something to consider.

If the top of the lug nut is popping off, then the stud could be too long or the lug nut not deep enough or the wheel flange is too thin.

Looking at those lug nuts, I'd suspect they are too short for the studs.

These are chinese dorman pieces of crap that break with a power drill

OEM lugs cost twice as much

If the lug nuts are too short for the studs, then the tops will pop off. Doesn't matter who made the lug nuts.

Its a steep learning curve on physics thing. Its like running a bolt into a threaded hole that is shorter than the bolt. It'll bottom out giving a false impression of proper torque without correct clamping.

FWIW, those lug nuts are available in different lengths.

Advance auto parts sold me these, also bot some on rockAuto
Guaranteed to fit per their computer lookup
I need to figure out how to measure the depth of the old weathered OEM that they replaced
And then compare

Back