Best Cost Effective Way to Improve 3rd Gen Entune Premium

Old thread but hopefully mrproduxn will reply... I have 2016 tacoma with the stock premium jbl system...i talked to crutchfield and they said to only use 2ohm speakers, is that why you need to “wake up” these 4ohm speakers to a higher volume to get them to perform? Any other issues using 4ohm instead of 2ohm? Also, after upgrading to the kicker speakers, is there still a need to upgrade the sub or is stock sub sufficient? I am excited to try this as crutchfield advisor had me out the door for $1100 for a pac amp pro, clarion amp, all new tweeters and door speakers plus a new sub...let alone the cost, but all that would take days for a beginner like me to install!!!
I can't say for sure about the sub but, I did the "Kicker Upgrade"... apparently, Feb 1, 2018, (just seen my post earlier in this thread). If the sub is equivalent quality to the factory speakers, no matter your package, then it's garbage and deserves upgrading as well... lol [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Old thread but hopefully mrproduxn will reply... I have 2016 tacoma with the stock premium jbl system...i talked to crutchfield and they said to only use 2ohm speakers, is that why you need to “wake up” these 4ohm speakers to a higher volume to get them to perform? Any other issues using 4ohm instead of 2ohm? Also, after upgrading to the kicker speakers, is there still a need to upgrade the sub or is stock sub sufficient? I am excited to try this as crutchfield advisor had me out the door for $1100 for a pac amp pro, clarion amp, all new tweeters and door speakers plus a new sub...let alone the cost, but all that would take days for a beginner like me to install!!!
What I have is the non jbl premium so the wiring is different as well as the connectors. Sorry but I cannot advise you. What I suggest is going to tacomaworld.com and explore the threads that cover jbl. There are many that have upgraded their jbl systems there.

Just curious about the use of a 6x9 three way in the doors. Already have the Kicker tweeter in the dash, so more tweeters? or just a bass 6x9, or what are the options?

I have the Kicker tweeters in the dash with 3 way 6x9 Kickers in front doors and 3 way 6.5 Kickers in the rear doors. They are much better than stock. I never added a sub and get fairly good bass. A sub would help but I am very satisfied. The funny thing is, after you remove and see the stock door speakers, you will be pretty amazed at how good they did sound. They look like the front dash speaker from 1960's era am radios.

I like the front speakers in my 16 sport but the rears are useless I will upgrade them other than that I'm pleased with the sound off it.Got my xmas bonus so new rears speakers it is! lol

Last edited:
I like the front speakers in my 16 sport but the rears are useless I will upgrade them other than that I'm pleased with the sound off it.Got my xmas bonus so new rears speakers it is! lol
I have the 17 sport, I stumbled upon a good deal to switch out all 6 speakers for less than ~$250 iirc... I got them from Best Buy but I know that many peoples went through Crutchfeild and got similar or better deals, I think I still ordered some connectors from them.
Just keep watching the deals. [emoji106]
I didn't know just how insufficient the sound was until I changed the speakers... was quite an improvement!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m thinking. I was going to put some sound deadener like dynamat but I haven’t yet. I’m probably going to buy all new clips for the door panel at this point I’m going to have to take them off again and those clips don’t hold well after one time off let alone two or three. I’m going to need to seal the speakers back there with plastic to protect them from water. I’ll be a pro at pulling these doors apart.
Do you happen to have part number for these clips? Been looking and can't find.

Got the instructions for the tweeter install from Crutchfield. They are not showing the removal of the pillar covers, just prying up the covers of the tweeters. Is this practical and do I really need to remove the pillar covers as many youtube videos are showing? Thanks for any insight into this dilemma of mine.

Got the instructions for the tweeter install from Crutchfield. They are not showing the removal of the pillar covers, just prying up the covers of the tweeters. Is this practical and do I really need to remove the pillar covers as many youtube videos are showing? Thanks for any insight into this dilemma of mine.
Do what the video's are showing..Unless you feel like breaking some plastic and clips.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back