Best oil for the 3.5 V-6??

JMO but any oil that meets the SN or SN+ standards is good oil. The debate is what is the best oil. Sure we all have our favorites and the ones that served us well for years but that don't mean that oil A is better than oil B. Run what you want and if you start having problems with it change brands. Personally ive never had any luck with Pennzoil, however others swear by it, Havoline used to have a big following but has seemed to lessened lately in my opinion just because of availability, not necessarily because if performance.

I use havoline 0w20. Anyone know if it’s good?

I used to use Havoline 5w-30 many years ago in my 1989 Honda CRX-DX. Great oil!! Plus, lived a few near a Texaco gas station. Advanced Auto here in NE Pennsylvania stocked this oil on their shelves.... however, it seems like they stopped selling this brand?? If you can get a steady supply and your 0w-20 is API SN / GF-5 rated... you should be good to go.

JMO but any oil that meets the SN or SN+ standards is good oil. The debate is what is the best oil. Sure we all have our favorites and the ones that served us well for years but that don't mean that oil A is better than oil B. Run what you want and if you start having problems with it change brands. Personally ive never had any luck with Pennzoil, however others swear by it, Havoline used to have a big following but has seemed to lessened lately in my opinion just because of availability, not necessarily because if performance.

Kinda feeling the same way about oil. One oil brand I always seem to be able to (always) get is Walmart Supertech. I ran the 5w-30 "high-mileage" synthetic in my 2011 GMC Canyon 2wd. It really made that little 2.9l 4 cylinder engine run smooth and I got an extra mile per gallon on gas once I switched to Supertech. Anyone using Supertech Syn. 0w-20??
However, I can get Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w-20 for 5bucks more a 5 quart jug.
a4ef1f95-1b0d-45f8-a3ab-d34e554b0a88_3.d8035c728e8b8d6e24dc0c2e045b060d.jpeg

I've used Amsoil signature oil in my vehicles since 1980. No reason to change now. My friend uses it exclusively in his second gen 4 cylinder Taco. No burning of oil, no engine noise, no drip, at 250,000 miles.

I used it in my GMC since new until I sold it at 136K. No burning, noise or drips. Ran the living snot out of that truck.
I run amsoil in everything I own. Bypass filter system on Nissan frontier. 255m on clock & no noises outta de engine. Change once a year & burns 1/4 qt in that time. Bought new. Will put in new offroad here shortly (6300 miles)

I believe the oem toyota oil is made by exxon mobil but its not quite the same. The toyota oil has more moly additive in it than mobil 1.
Toyota OEM. Oil is definitely blended by Exxon/Mobil, says so right on the bottle. JMO but I think it's a version of their old Super Syn, I don't know about the chemical analysis but it's the old Super Syn bottles with Toyota labels.

Imo, most of the 0-20w synthetics are good even walmarts super tech brand. I think it comes down to the additive package in these oils for how long you can go between changes.

All 3 of the vehicles in my household run the same oil: Tacoma, Corolla, Forester. Kirkland 0w-20 from Costco.

Last edited:
I've heard the shell brand 0-20w synthetic is excellent plus the cost is right.
I've heard the shell rotella gas truck oil is very good, however it's getting harder to find as time goes on. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum lately, which is a shell oil product. I've also used the ultra platinum but at times it's hard to get too. Since the new GF6 standard came out I don't know how much difference there is between the platinum and ultra platinum. The platinum seems to be running just fine and easy to find.

Back