Fuel Pump Fixed Today

I called Friday and set an appointment for this coming Thursday to get mine done. The girl that set my appointment, supposedly from service dept, stated that I had to have 1/4 tank of gas or less and back seat needed to be completely empty or they couldn't do the recall. I'm thing this is something she was just told to say because I do t see where either one has anything to do with changing the fuel pump. The only thing the recall notice says is make sure gas tank is not complely topped off. Not going into this with a lot of confidence.

I called Friday and set an appointment for this coming Thursday to get mine done. The girl that set my appointment, supposedly from service dept, stated that I had to have 1/4 tank of gas or less and back seat needed to be completely empty or they couldn't do the recall. I'm thing this is something she was just told to say because I do t see where either one has anything to do with changing the fuel pump. The only thing the recall notice says is make sure gas tank is not complely topped off. Not going into this with a lot of confidence.

Yeah I didn’t have any direction like that. And my back seat was not clear. Not full either but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my fuel pump done this morning. Had an 8:00am appointment, got there at 7:30, they were taking it in at 7:50, driving out of dealership headed home at 9:50. No mention of me having 1/2 tank of gas instead of the 1/4 or less the girl requested when I made the appointment. If I was splitting hairs it might run a little smoother now that it did before, possibly. Mine was running fine before and hadn't given me any problems. Anyway it's done and all is well.

The fuller the tank the heavier it is and the harder it is for the tech to manage. 1/4 tank is lighter when they drop it to get to the pump.

The fuller the tank the heavier it is and the harder it is for the tech to manage. 1/4 tank is lighter when they drop it to get to the pump.
I understand the weight issue however being a dealership I would think they would use a transmission jack to drop the tank, or some kind of mechanical assistance. If I was doing it at home I'd use a floor jack. That's just me thinking though.

I understand the weight issue however being a dealership I would think they would use a transmission jack to drop the tank, or some kind of mechanical assistance. If I was doing it at home I'd use a floor jack. That's just me thinking though.
There is more to it. Where they have to access the pump, the way the tank drops gas will spill if it’s to full. They have to drain the gas out which takes more time. If they are nice they will put it back. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to help them help you by having the tank at 1/4.

I understand not having a full tank or topping it off before getting pump replaced however saying 1/4 tank or less is absurd also. I'm not gonna go drive around for a couple of hours with the sole purpose of just burning gas. I agree with doing what's reasonable to help them out but there's a point where they're just gonna have to deal with it.

I understand not having a full tank or topping it off before getting pump replaced however saying 1/4 tank or less is absurd also. I'm not gonna go drive around for a couple of hours with the sole purpose of just burning gas. I agree with doing what's reasonable to help them out but there's a point where they're just gonna have to deal with it.
Did you call and schedule the service or did they call you and tell you that you have to drop the vehicle off on this day at this time?

Did you call and schedule the service or did they call you and tell you that you have to drop the vehicle off on this day at this time?
I scheduled the appointment with the mindset of not getting anymore gas before pump change, as per recall notice, not full or topped off. When I scheduled appointment the girl at dealership said 1/4 tank or less. By the time of my appointment I had got it down to 1/2 tank. I love these people that just pull arbitrary numbers out of the air. The recall notice said 2 hours, appointment girl said 4 hours, service writer said 3 hours. It took 2 hours.

Had my pump replacement scheduled 12/12, they said 1/4 to 1/2 tank. That was OK to me, I usually keep the tank 1/2 plus.

However, on 12/5, when I went in for a complimentary 30,000 mile service, they service writer says "I see you have an outstanding recall, we can do that along with the service, if you will leave the truck with us overnight". I had about 3/4 tank....he says "no problem" here is a new Rav4 to drive home.

I have no idea how long the pump swap takes, and apparently the level of fuel is manageable, probably not so good for the mechanics, but manageable.

The fuel gage registered the same level when I picked the truck up, so don't know if they drained and refilled it, or just muscled it around with the fuel in it.

Coincidentally, I got a letter from Toyota a few days later notifying me that the parts were available and asking me to schedule the service.

Last edited:
I just talked to my neighbor today. He bought his taco about a month after I got mine, from same dealership. He took his in to get it serviced the day after I had my pump done, took it in for service and pump replacement. He used the courtesy trans. service, said he no sooner got home and they called and said he was ready to go.

I just talked to my neighbor today. He bought his taco about a month after I got mine, from same dealership. He took his in to get it serviced the day after I had my pump done, took it in for service and pump replacement. He used the courtesy trans. service, said he no sooner got home and they called and said he was ready to go.
Did he have less than a 1/4 tank?

Back