? headlight housing wear Gen2...

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 348k on the 0D0
what causes this? to make the tops ick ick
is there some products to clean restore it for long time without having to redo redo
its most noticeable at the top of the housing

are there solutions other than buying all-new assemblies which OEM i thot i saw were very pricey

i can provide pics of what i am seeing later...

The faded, cloudy, rough lenses are from weather and oxidation.

Yes, there are products to restore the clarity. I have used a Sylvania product. Simple process, just follow the directions.

Replacing headlight assemblies on Gen2 is a major task. You will need to remove grill, lower trim pieces and bumper fascia. None of the work is difficult, it just takes time, patience and a few extra body push pins.
Remember, if you replace the assemblies they will need to be aimed. I took mine to Toyota to be aimed after I replaced the assemblies. Cost was just under $100. BTW, I purchased OEM at $170/ea.

The reason behind purchasing OEM headlight assemblies is because my research on the aftermarket stuff was not encouraging. Reports indicate that the aftermarket stuff degrades in less time and may have wonky reflectors.

If just the lens, the rustoleum headlight restore kit works well for a couple years, otherwise just bottle of mothers plastic polish, and some elbow grease will make them shinny looking like new...then you need to go over them with a clear lacquer to keep them that way.

there is no smoothness to the top area, its harsh to the touch
thought this was occurring from the turtle wax autowash soap, the purple stuff....

Last edited:
All those car wash products can be very harsh to the plastic headlights.

The rough is oxidation. It needs to be sanded off with very fine wet/dry paper. The Sylvania restore kit has all the stuff needed. It is also ranked as one of the best products. Although, it is not the cheapest. But compared to the cost of headlight replacement.........its pretty cheap.

Yep, longer this goes on the more oxidation these lens will become. When you let them get to the point their that harsh, you'll be lucky if you can restore them back to normal.

Damned it, I just noticed them recently housing all that dry salt off :oops:

???

ffc7eba51e6d84eeabce775f3f4d1b67x.jpg

Hmmmm.....I should start a business.

The Sylvania Headight Restore kit is less than $20. Less than 30 minutes labor total to restore both headlights....... I could charge $70/car cut the competition in the sack with a potential of $100/hr in pocket.

Seriously, this is a simple DIY project that will cost you about $20, some water and about 30 minutes. Plus it will delay the purchase of new headlight lenses.

Last edited:
I've used their headlight lacquer in the sylvania kit after polishing the lens with mothers plastic headlight polish. Lens will appear like new in minutes. Your good for a couple more years.

headlight lens became so much worse in the past six months

going to have a go with the 99$ 3-year warrantied at the yota dealer in KS

Just pickup one of those cerakote headlight lens restoration kits for less than $20 on eBay. Anything like that from toyota has huge markups that aren't a whole lot better. Besides once those lenses start getting cloudy, nothing is going to make them last for many years. Most these kits will give 2-3 years before they need to be done over.

1997 4x4 was the very last year tacoma had the REAL glass sealed beams
none of this fading wear chit to worry about, just a bad gasket seal that allows moisture into it :confused:
and a pain to change them but no worries of fadeaway

The change from glass to optical Lexan is a good design decision.

Gains:
1. less weight
2. breakage resistance
3. simplified manufacturing
4. acceptable to complex aerodynamic forms
5. lower cost
6. Simple bulb replacement

Loss:
1. long term oxidation

FWIW. Canopies on military aircraft are optical Lexan.

I never had issues with the old school glass headlights, and still prefer them. Manufactures did this plastic chit, at mercy of the bean counters.

Back