HVAC BOX SWEATS AND DRIPS WATER INSIDE TRUCK W/ AC ON IN HUMID CONDITIONS!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too!
It's just not a good time to try and get another vehicle, dealers are pretty much selling as fast as they hit the lot, so not much negotiation going on and used ones prices are crazy too!

True, even one that cost less should never have water in floor! Had a Nissan frontier, put 379000 on it, only wetness on floor was if I spilled a beer! Lol

Well, it's a process. All the demand letters has been written and responded too, lemon lawyer officially filed law suit, next is a court appearance to set up a court date, I don't think I have to appear for that one, sometime in mid February, then it could be end of year or next year before court date! Wheels of justice don't spin that fast in the automobile world! Lol.

Last edited:
Only thing i've seen out of my 2020 tacoma v6 auto when using the ac has been some water dripping out from the passenger side drain tube on the side of the frame. Inside the cab has been fine.

Have you ever driven it on a hot, humid morning on the highway@ highway speeds for like an hour or more w/ auto temp on 72°? That's when mine builds up moisture on the HVAC BOX and drips on floor! Just driving around town, short trips, idling, no problem!

Idk how humid it has to be, but last summer it was hot and humid. I''ve driven many times here on both secondary highways at 50-60 mph, and on the major ones at 70-75 mph with the air on. Didn't notice anything unusual in, or out of the cab.

I'm in Virginia, from June to September we have them hot, humid, sultry days where in the morning the air is extra thick, thats when it happens mostly in the early morning commute, around 5 to 6:30 am. about 70 miles one way! Down south is even worse and a few people over on Tacoma World have complained it but didn't know what was going on! Dealers told them as they did me that it is normal and characteristics of the truck!!!!! I told them they are crazy and it's not normal for water to drip inside any vehicle! Toyota headquarters is aware of this issue and tell the Dealers to every one that! Cost too much money for a recall that's not really a saftey issue so they refuse to do anything about it! That's why I had to take the lemon law route.

New here and wondering if anyone else here that drives their truck in humid conditions w/ AC on has ever noticed water on floor? Mostly continous highway driving then slow down or stop is when it starts dripping! The HVAC box excessively sweats on the outside of box and water has no where to go but down onto the floor!
This can happen when warm outside air hits the outside of the cold box. Check for leaks and outside vents not closing to seal. It doesn't take much warm air for this to occur. It like taking a cold glass out of the frig. Warm air hitting the cold glass will form moisture

Thanks so much for the input. I've had it to the dealers numerous times, case opened w= Toyota headquarters, engineers involved and their is no fix, this is a design flaw! I've driven the same beaten path for over 35 years w/ numerous, various other vehicles and not one has ever had 1 drop of water drip inside of the cab! I believe all 3rd generation Toyotas HVAC systems are the same and would drip water if driven under the conditions I drive mine. Early morning humid conditions driving for over an hour @ highway speeds, then slowing down or stopping is when the accumulation of condensation outside of HVAC box drips water onto floor! Toyota knows these vehicles do this but says there is no fix so if they have to buy back a few vehicles due to the lemon law, then they have decided since it's really not a safty issue that's not killing anyone, it's cheaper then redesigning and recalling Tocomas!

[
Thanks so much for the input. I've had it to the dealers numerous times, case opened w= Toyota headquarters, engineers involved and their is no fix, this is a design flaw! I've driven the same beaten path for over 35 years w/ numerous, various other vehicles and not one has ever had 1 drop of water drip inside of the cab! I believe all 3rd generation Toyotas HVAC systems are the same and would drip water if driven under the conditions I drive mine. Early morning humid conditions driving for over an hour @ highway speeds, then slowing down or stopping is when the accumulation of condensation outside of HVAC box drips water onto floor! Toyota knows these vehicles do this but says there is no fix so if they have to buy back a few vehicles due to the lemon law, then they have decided since it's really not a safty issue that's not killing anyone, it's cheaper then redesigning and recalling Tocomas!
I would dry the box with a hair dryer and add this to the outside of the box.
Thermwell Products 12"X15' Fbg Insulation Sp55 Pipe Insulation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNNHBU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YVKH3T0VQ8YBPC05J02Q
QUOTE="Hobadger, post: 174679, member: 91540"]Thanks so much for the input. I've had it to the dealers numerous times, case opened w= Toyota headquarters, engineers involved and their is no fix, this is a design flaw! I've driven the same beaten path for over 35 years w/ numerous, various other vehicles and not one has ever had 1 drop of water drip inside of the cab! I believe all 3rd generation Toyotas HVAC systems are the same and would drip water if driven under the conditions I drive mine. Early morning humid conditions driving for over an hour @ highway speeds, then slowing down or stopping is when the accumulation of condensation outside of HVAC box drips water onto floor! Toyota knows these vehicles do this but says there is no fix so if they have to buy back a few vehicles due to the lemon law, then they have decided since it's really not a safty issue that's not killing anyone, it's cheaper then redesigning and recalling Tocomas![/QUOTE]

[

I would dry the box with a hair dryer and add this to the outside of the box.
Thermwell Products 12"X15' Fbg Insulation Sp55 Pipe Insulation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNNHBU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YVKH3T0VQ8YBPC05J02Q or this product Double Bubble Reflective Thermal Aluminum Foil Radiant Heat Vapor Barrier Insulation: (16" X 25 Ft) Heavy Duty (Water Proof No Tear): Walls Windows Garages Attics Air Ducts HVAC Vehicle Etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XPFXW8...t_i_CRP7NVM9G9MZ2JY5REN3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
QUOTE="Hobadger, post: 174679, member: 91540"]Thanks so much for the input. I've had it to the dealers numerous times, case opened w= Toyota headquarters, engineers involved and their is no fix, this is a design flaw! I've driven the same beaten path for over 35 years w/ numerous, various other vehicles and not one has ever had 1 drop of water drip inside of the cab! I believe all 3rd generation Toyotas HVAC systems are the same and would drip water if driven under the conditions I drive mine. Early morning humid conditions driving for over an hour @ highway speeds, then slowing down or stopping is when the accumulation of condensation outside of HVAC box drips water onto floor! Toyota knows these vehicles do this but says there is no fix so if they have to buy back a few vehicles due to the lemon law, then they have decided since it's really not a safty issue that's not killing anyone, it's cheaper then redesigning and recalling Tocomas!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was thinking something likes that does need to be done, but its not dripping now in the winter time when not humid and using AC. I'm not going to do anything until I see what happens in court, lemon lawyer contacted me the other day and said trial date has been set up and I don't want to tamper w/ anything until I find what's going to happen there!

No,no,no, not all 3rd Gens,,,have no issues with mine in Humid weather,drove it to Florida,was there for 2 weeks,never had a drop inside!
Hopefully you get justification

Back