Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

Is the 4th Gen Taco a hit or a miss?

• Total voters
Only way I'd ever consider a 4 gen tacoma is in a hybrid. So far my brothers rave4 hybrid has been very good. It'll blow my tacoma away both in power and fuel economy. Our 2012 prius has been bulletproof...cheapest vehicle to own to this date.

This is gonna be a combo post, a reply to this guy above, and also answering OP's question, coz seems there's no multi-quote and I can't move the cursor above the quote.

I thought that I would need the hybrid too, because I didn't think there would be enough power. I ended up getting the non-hybrid because I really didn't want to lose the storage space in the back or lose all the space under the hood. (The hybrid there's literally NO space under the hood from what I've seen in videos)..

I have discovered the regular turbo engine non-hybrid is definitely powerful enough. And this is coming from someone who was depressed by the 3rd gen power and I didn't buy the Tacoma specifically coz there's no way I could live with that lack of power. Now I learned that you can tune it but whatever. I already got the 4th gen.

Now to answer OP's question:

I have absolutely ZERO negative things to say about the 4th gen Tacoma, all I can come up with are nitpicks. I got a TRD Off-Road with the small screen. Small screen actually isn't that bad, the only problem is that tiny volume knob is major suck-o-rama. It's smooth so it feels like it's gonna slip. It doesn't spin easily, and I tend to press it in by accident. Major crapola.

My recommendation is make sure you get the 14" screen to avoid this issue, even if you don't want the 360 cameras or soft-tex seats. (you can get the 14" screen by itself as an option).

The one nitpick I have with the 8" screen is that it's obvious that the truck was designed to have the bigger screen and they put the smaller screen "on purpose" just so they could charge more for the big screen, but it doesn't look OEM. It looks out of place and aftermarket.. Kind of like how in some vehicles you have to put in a "placeholder" piece of plastic that's much bigger than the aftermarket radio you installed, and it's obvious that it's not OEM.

The 8" screen is really badly designed IMO. but the screen itself is good quality.

Other than that I have no complaints. Absolutely love it.

There's only two other negatives I can say. One came from other users, and that is that the wireless charger can make your phone hot, but I don't have one so IDK. And the other is something I don't like from opening the tailgate on models that have the electronic tailgate open/close feature.

Instead of the normal handle to open the tailgate, there's this protruding sensor that makes it feel similar to the passenger grab handle on the A pillar. You don't put your whole hand in there and pull, your handle barely fits at all and there's like a sensor in there that you touch and it opens the tailgate.

I'm also not crazy about the fact that you can't just open the tailgate manually. I would prefer that the handle opens and lets it drop like one without the feature and the buttons on the side make it electronically open or close.

Really like my 3rd gen access cab, but could do without all the extra electronics, and nanny bs....it's there for drivers that can't drive to begin with. My 2020 v6 has plenty of power with a buttery smooth auto tranny that gets over 19 mpg even towing my 5x10 utility trailer. Best vehicle owned so far. Everyone thats tried it has said I got an exceptionally well built one. I can't think of one good reason to trade up for a gen4 taco at this point.

Back