issues with 2016 Tacoma

Just had TSB-00-77 downloaded to my 2016 (Nov 2015 build) TRD 2WD 3.5L Automatic yesterday. I was plagued with the morning delay from R to D shift every day now for 13.000 mi. My fluid levels were perfect from the factory ( I have the tow pckg and cooler ). The TSB fixed the slow R to D problem perfectly. Thank God. Other than that, no other changes. Shift points are all the same. Mileage and power are exactly the same. Still got 23.1mpg last night on a 25 mi. drive at 70-75 mph. ( OC Fwys ) 19 around town today. Im actually relieved the mileage didn't change. When I need the power and higher shift points the ECT button works great. Now all I've got left is the sidewind door seal noise that will return this Fall/Winter.

I still can't believe some of you are getting such great mpg. I just had the same tsb and jumped to 20 from 18. Highway mpg is worse than city for me. I get 24/25 city but just crap on the highway.
Noticeable bump in response, smoother shifting.
I also have the same ds door straw-in-a-lid sound. Dealer stated no tsb, nothing they can do because they couldn't recreate it.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno

WEX, are you running the stock tires? Have a lift kit? Just curious as to what's different. Are we comparing apples to apples? Your mileage numbers are the first I've heard in reverse order that isn't a hybrid electric.

I also had the TSB-00-77 downloaded last Friday, it seems to have fixed the transmission issues I was experiencing. I took my truck in for it's 5K check-up and had to get the tech to download the bulletins on the issues because when I told him about the issues he was surprised. So..I made another appointment and they updated the ECM, thank goodness because if not I would have been trading it in next year for a Tundra.

I had issues with the passing gear (4th) kicked in and hangs there. Started happening while pulling my boat. Figured the drag caused it, but still did it without the boat. Got the update and still does it. Transmission needs work and replacing by Toyota in my opinion. Inferno TRD off-road

Just purchased a 2017 Sport TRD. Glad I found this. Looks like I need the update and the wind noise fix too! My 2010 F150 SCREW was totaled recently. It had the notorious slip yoke bump. Thought this was similar.

HI everybody!

I'm gett'n a TRD Sport 17, will be built this month, and I should get it 3rd week of November

So my question is: what should I have the service dept check? Any TSB's? I only know of the trans being possibly low, so I'll have them check it.

But what else? Really like to have a "Punch List" for them so I can check off anything that is a current issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Norma

Today's I'm checking on that and Trans fluid is correct. It's set at the factory to the proper level. And it needs the update for the shifting.
They are doing it right now

Anyone have issues with transmission not staying in overdrive and have to speed up with cruise on and back off into over drive. Also premium Jbl system freezing needing to be totally reset Lastly the 3.5 is a good engine but on my long Either way I will update tomorrow as I will be taking to dealer. Please tune back I will advise as soon as dealer advises issue

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)
Im having a reboot issue with the stereo and my tranny gets stuck in 4th. I took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the stuck transmission and i was told to drive without my iphone paired to the system and see if it crashes.Im trying to stay mellow as i know this is going to be a frustrating process, I just hope Toyota does me right.Im too new to post it the video link yet. I was told my transmission was not one of the trucks which needed a service bulletin update (the update goes by vin #)

Anyone have issues with transmission not staying in overdrive and have to speed up with cruise on and back off into over drive. Also premium Jbl system freezing needing to be totally reset Lastly the 3.5 is a good engine but on my long Either way I will update tomorrow as I will be taking to dealer. Please tune back I will advise as soon as dealer advises issue

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)
2016 sr5 4cyl auto same problems as other post, does sign it and read it later sound familiar?
I think Toyota told the engineers sign off and we will fix them later after we sell them if we can.

Yes mine does not shift even in the flats going 60 miles an hour. I brought it in and they could not duplicate the problem. It's very frustrating and feels like I have a four-cylinder instead of a six cylinder. I think the shift points need to be addressed.

Tacoloco16, did you have the TSB on the tranny done? I had the same prob on my '16 .After TSB it works like a champ.
I was told the TSB update was based on certain Vin numbers, my trucks Vin number does not fall into the category where the update applies. I am betting they will be adding more trucks with other Vin numbers to the list soon. I really wish I would have just waited for the manual to come in.

Is a new Transmission update for 2016 Tacoma... the TC1601, get it done this morning.
The TSB 0077-16 didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Is a new Transmission update for 2016 Tacoma... the TC1601, get it done this morning.
The TSB 0077-16 didn't work for me.
I just got mine back on Saturday and the transmission has never felt so good. It's not hunting for gears anymore it drives how I would imagine it should. I'm happy now!!!The latest update worked wonders for my Taco.

OK the Tacoma is in the shop again for transmission issues. They fix the previous problems now my truck will not drop into six gear on the highway when cruise control is turned on. The dealer said they are starting a ticket. I typed a letter to Toyota corporate and I am demanding they recall my truck and either put me in a manual , or give me my money I put down on my trade back. The next step if they don't take care of me will be a lawyer as my truck is considered a lemon in every aspect of the definition. I have had more problems with different items with this truck then any other vehicle I have ever owned. I cannot recommend anyone buying a new Tacoma with an automatic transmission. I'm so fried with this whole fiasco, I just wish I had my car I traded in back in my possession. If Toyota does not make it right with me they will lose me as a customer for the rest of my life. Shame shame shame on Toyota for releasing such a faulty vehicle. This is the fourth time it has been in for transmission issues plus all the other issues I have had with accessories such as the stereo, and sunroof oh yeah I almost forgot they are replacing the climate control in my truck due to stuck temperature control knobs. What a piece of crap. I forgot to tell everyone that my truck was a half a quart low on transmission fluid from the factory on the last visit in. It took me three times of bringing it in and asking them to check the fluid level before they actually did it.

I just got mine back on Saturday and the transmission has never felt so good. It's not hunting for gears anymore it drives how I would imagine it should. I'm happy now!!!The latest update worked wonders for my Taco.

What update was done to the transmission ??

Last edited:
It doesn't specify on my paperwork what update they applied to my truck. I will ask next time I bring my truck in which I would imagine would be next week since The new update gave it another problem now.

TC1601 is the update i had done recently. It's fixed my other three problems I had with the transmission but it gave it a new problem. It does not like to use six gear if cruise control is on the second you take off drop in the overdrive just like it is supposed to be. I had a major blowout at the dealership and ended up recording the whole conversation I'm waiting for Toyota to get back to me before I send them the audio from my conversation. I will try and post my conversation so everyone can laugh at how scandalous the car dealers are as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Back