needing a new MT clutch procedure

Suggest replacing clutch friction plates and spring diaphragm with possibly facing the flywheel.

Any score marks or hot spots on the flywheel need to be addressed.

119$
says no core

1672925310620.png

Last edited:
oh how here it is i found that flywheel part

512$ with the nIce 31 per cent discount

View attachment 34304

now 435$ with the extra 10off holiday sale

MSRP 771$ in January 2o23
MSRP 801$ in Dezember 2o23

Last edited:
That Clutch was definitely acting up today on these steep up and down grades... One right after the other... Shift shift shift
No slipping noticed but after a stop it was a task to get going in first

Still hoping to get it to 1/3rd million miles before getting repaired

Those are early signs of clutch slip. You are due.

Suggest for you to not milk it to your goal. The milking will likely create more damage and more repair and more cost.

But it is your choice.

Transmission will depend on if you milk it to a catastrophic failure......then all bets are off.

Remember, the engine power is transferred through the clutch to the transmission. Alignment is critical between these parts.

Frankly, I think it is poor practice to run to a failure, especially when signs show time for replacement. In the end, it is much less expensive to replace when the signs of failure begin. A break down on the road usually ends up in a tow, additional repairs, increased expense with a high level of frustration and aggravation. A break down is also a "forced" situation and always happen with the worst timing.

Have you met Mr. Murphy, the author of Murphy's Law?

Last edited:
i was under the impression that when the clutch starts slipping the rpms will go way up with little to no movement of the vehicle, such as what happened on the 78 Celica i had about 30+yrs ago which was the last time i had to get a clutch replaced

did a test run for clutch slippage yesterday
steepest climb that Iowa has for high-speed, minimal traffic and relatively straight road up i880 out of the missouri river basin on i29

throttled down in 5th gear and ascended to 90mph with no noticeable slippy slip, tach was steady as it goes
clutch disks/plates are still good then?
or does test need to be in lower gear and higher RPMs

1670845911128-png.34689

You are working hard to justify continuously running a clutch showing signs of slipping needing to be replaced.

It is your choice.

Sure, you can run it until the truck will only sit still and rev in gear with the clutch engaged.

Have you tried a heavy acceleration from a stand still in 1st gear?

How far do the RPMs need to be pushed in first for that test?
I usually don't climb it over 3k

i am educating myself with what all is involved with Timmy the Toolman uTube channel instructional
and have SO MANY questions after skimming through that :confused:

exhaust needs removed?
starter needs removed?
Only if they're in the way. Pulling the driveshaft, transfer case, and transmission is pita enough.

5-March-2o23

there are definitely some odd sensations that are popping up more frequently now :confused:
best described as a 'floaty feel' sorta intermittent surge but see no odd movement in the tach gauge to indicate a slippage
most noticeable after an extended hot freeway run coming back into the big city stop and go traffic in them lower gears

on the freeway in 5th at 2.1k RPMs (60mph) a faint grindy noise feeling underneath BUT NO TELLING WHAT THE HECK THAT IS!!!

friction plate?
pressure plate?
flywheel?
transfer or transmission
driveshaft ujoints
what?

the learning curve here is becoming steep as a 10 per cent grade :oops:

Last edited:
Keep driving. The problem will manifest eventually so there will be no doubt as to what needs repair.

An anedote my Dad told me when I first began car ownership. "Son, you don't have to change the engine oil. Eventually, the engine will tell you it needs attention."

Keep driving. The problem will manifest eventually so there will be no doubt as to what needs repair.

An anedote my Dad told me when I first began car ownership. "Son, you don't have to change the engine oil. Eventually, the engine will tell you it needs attention."

engine oil is routine maintenance usually at predetermined interval

these parts under discussion are NON-routine

i did keep driving on the chattery clutch bearing (diagnosed as such by a seasoned Yota pro ASE) until it indeed manifested and broke into that moving fan nearly two years ago

AND I still had no clue what it was that broke until i dug further and got onto some Yota forums for clues and whatnots

Back