Oil Brand

Oh I am well aware that millions of people use it.
But I blew two snowmobile engines up the first winter I switched to amsoil 2 stroke. Have not blown up a snowmobile engine before or since. Can I prove it was the amsoil, no i can't...do i suspect it was at least partially the problem, yes. Anyway it left a lasting impression on me, and never again. I tear my snowmobiles engine down every summer, and have a close look at it, replacing anything suspect. The engine looked good, so all i did was replace pistons and rings, base gaskets, and head O rings. Yes the heads on it were O rings, not a gasket. The only change I made was switching to amsoil a friend recommended to me. The first engine grenaded on ride 5 the next winter, took out the jugs bad to, so I bought a big bore kit for it, and new crank as well. I replaced ever seal, the crank, bearings, jugs, pistons, rings, new heads, and it grenaded again on ride 4 with the new engine. I bought another identical big bore kit, just the top end this time, not the crank or heads, but replaced the jugs, pistons and rings. I drained the amsoil out of it and switched oil. Rode that sled hard the rest of the season, not a problem. That summer I took the top end apart and looked it over, put it back together replacing nothing but the spark plugs. Next winter I beat the crap out of it all winter and never missed a beat. Next summer I pulled the top end apart yet again, replacing nothing but spark plugs for a second summer in a row. Rode the bag off it all the next winter and sold it that spring still running perfectly.

Coincidence?

Possibly.
But I still can't get myself to trust it.

It's a costly shame when an engine goes south once, never mind twice. I read your post twice, and you didn't mention if you machine uses injection or premix. Just wondering.

Last I heard Supertech was blended by Warren Oil. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Supertech is not a good oil, just saying you never know about store brand oil whos blending it, may have been Warren yesterday and Ashland today. Carquest oil used to be blended by Ashland and now supposedly blended by Amolie.
Yeah, I haven't checked it lately but the last time I checked who was labeling their oil it was Valvoline, pretty sure they go with lowest bidder.

Always been a valvoline guy, put alot of miles on alot of these yotas over the last 46 years .

Always been a valvoline guy, put alot of miles on alot of these yotas over the last 46 years .

I have used a lot of Valvoline myself, other brands to, but the last few oil changes were Valvoline 5w30 in the Ram, and the cars get 10w40.
Bikes get Diesel 15w40, or 2 stroke.

View attachment 29061
Currently using Shell Rotella Gas Truck in my 17 Tacoma. I used Mobil 1 for a few oil changes and noticed about a 1/8 to 1/4 quart oil lose between intervals with Mobil 1. I do not have this problem with Shell Rotella Gas Truck. I also use a Toyota TRD oil filter... seems much better made than the stock OEM unit.

My sentiments exactly. In addition to my 2019 burning a bit of oil, my wife's Subaru was burning 1 qt at 5,000 mile change intervals running Mobil 1. With only 20,000 miles on the car I felt this was unacceptable. I have 3 cars in the household that all run 0w-20. Time will tell as all of them are now running Rotella.

My sentiments exactly. In addition to my 2019 burning a bit of oil, my wife's Subaru was burning 1 qt at 5,000 mile change intervals running Mobil 1. With only 20,000 miles on the car I felt this was unacceptable. I have 3 cars in the household that all run 0w-20. Time will tell as all of them are now running Rotella.

I have used Mobil 1 before with great results. In fact, I owned a 2008 Honda FIT that I used Honda OEM oil filters and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil.. never had any oil consumption and this car ran great.

My wife drives a 2017 Subaru Outback and my both my sons use Castrol Edge in their Subarus with great results. No oil burn, run great and the Subarus seem to like Castrol.
I did have a little bit of oil consumption (1/8 to 1/4 of a quart) in the 9000 mile drain interval period with my 2017 Tacoma using Mobil 1. The Rotella Gas Truck seemed to solve this problem. My local Walmart did not have Rotella a few weeks ago, so I am using Pennzoil PP in 0w-20, seems to also work great in my engine. So far, I like the synthetic oils made Shell (SOPUS).. Rotella and Pennzoil. I am sure Quaker State Syn is pretty decent??

Once you find a quality oil... change at the factory interval and use a Toyota OEM filter/ or TRD filter with a new drain plug washer. You will be fine.

Check this out:

0w20 is too watery, look for 5w30

Bingo!

That is how I feel to.
At least 5w30, as a bare minimum.
Several vehicles that were originally 5w20, have since had updates to their suggested oil weight to 5w30, or 10w30.
I couldn't pour 0w anything into my vehicles.
I think 5w ? Is like water.

Yea but today's engines are so much tighter than days of old .I run 20w50 Castrol in my '68 327 but have to put zinc additive in it cuz the zinc clogs the cat in newer cars .I run the 5w 20 in the TACO Castrol synthetic.it seemed to quiet the motor too.

Got my oil filter in the mail today, for my new to me, used car, and they ask for it to use 0w40, but I'm going to use 5w40 in it. It is taking all the willpower I can muster, to not put 10w40 in it. In fact I still might put 10w40 oil in it. It will not be driven in cold weather, and just can't run that watery crap.

I've used Amsoil exclusively for years but have been considering a change for some time now. Not because of the oil itself, just because of the price. Well, I finally did it, my last oil change I put pennzoil ultra platinum in my taco and platinum in my wife's van. So far both vehicles are doing great. $24 for ultra platinum and $21 for platinum for a 5 quart bottle is a whole lot cheaper than $40 a gallon for Amsoil. Time will tell but so far no reason to look back.

Update from my last post, back to Amsoil again. The Pennzoil ran fine for about 3500 miles then engine started getting noisey. I've tried getting away from Amsoil before just because of the price but for the forseeable future I'll be sticking with Amsoil. Last oil change I also changed rear diff to severe gear. I don't know what's going on with Pennzoil right now but every time I go to wally world I have to strole thru automotive just to see what's going on. For probably almost a month now they have been out of Pennzoil Platinum and a new black label Pennzoil Full Synthetic has showed up. It's not labeled as GTL and on the Pennzoil website it's not rated as good as the Platinum.

Update from my last post, back to Amsoil again. The Pennzoil ran fine for about 3500 miles then engine started getting noisey. I've tried getting away from Amsoil before just because of the price but for the forseeable future I'll be sticking with Amsoil. Last oil change I also changed rear diff to severe gear. I don't know what's going on with Pennzoil right now but every time I go to wally world I have to strole thru automotive just to see what's going on. For probably almost a month now they have been out of Pennzoil Platinum and a new black label Pennzoil Full Synthetic has showed up. It's not labeled as GTL and on the Pennzoil website it's not rated as good as the Platinum.
Amsoil in the '18.....Severe Gear in the front and rear diffs.....Ravenol in the T-case.......Love Amsoil. With their member program at $20/year I get OE 0W-20 for $5.45/quart and less than that when I buy Gallon jugs. Not a bad price for 100% Synthetic.

Amsoil in the '18.....Severe Gear in the front and rear diffs.....Ravenol in the T-case.......Love Amsoil. With their member program at $20/year I get OE 0W-20 for $5.45/quart and less than that when I buy Gallon jugs. Not a bad price for 100% Synthetic.

It was March or April when I went back to Amsoil on my Taco but just did the first oil change on my wife's new Chrysler Pacifica today. Have Signature Series in both. If you do the auto renewal on you're PC membership I thick it drops it to $16 a year.

It was March or April when I went back to Amsoil on my Taco but just did the first oil change on my wife's new Chrysler Pacifica today. Have Signature Series in both. If you do the auto renewal on you're PC membership I thick it drops it to $16 a year.
Yeah, my membership lapsed and I didn't renew it on time.....got it as an auto renew now! Get those savings when we can!

Back