Oil change

I've done 15k miles on my 4.7 tundra when doing mostly highway driving. Now retired its been 10k with the tacoma...same as its been on our 2012 prius for the last dozen years. I just use what our toyota dealer uses...mobil1.
Too many have become brainwashed from the 70's using cheap dino motor oils, if that same oil is used in todays hotter running engines, yeah, you'll end full of sludge if you go 10k miles without changing it. With the synthetics, and additive packages in them we have now, its a different story.

do modern synthetics overcome the severe driving that 'most' do
that is a short trips, grocery getter, especially in the brutal winter when there is no way it all heats up and burns the water off that lodging in the oil

All I can claim, mobil 1 has worked extremely well for me since 2001. It's been reformulated many times since back in the 70's, and is nothing like their original synthetic oil. I like the way it performs in severe cold....it doesn't setup like honey as regular dino motor oil does when you start your truck. Saves on your battery.

I got the "package" when I bought my truck with a few oils changes "included" which were 10k intervals. Once that was over I switched to anywhere between 5,000 - 7,500.

Back when I was into restoring Triumph sportscars, I had a constant oil change along with exterior lubrication. I'm here all week, try the veal. In all seriousness, I use one of three oils, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and Liqui Moly.

The Liqui Moly is expensive, but it goes into the BMW, which is changed once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. It always comes out looking nearly as fresh as the new going in. Oil consumption is less than half of a liter between changes.

Mobil 1 is in the Taco right now. I had the shop that replaced my tires to do an oil change as I didn't know what was in there. I'll use Mobil 1 if I can't get Royal Purple, Plus, Mobil 1 is pretty good, and is cheap. Mobil 1 is changed every 5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I have used Mobil 1 since 1984.

Royal Purple is my go-to oil. I have used it in everything I have owned, except the BMW. It isn't a cheap oil, but as synthetics go, it isn't expensive, either. I prefer RP to Mobil 1. I'll change this every 7.5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. This is used in my Supra, as well as all other vehicles I have had since 1990. I'll probably switch to this in the Taco when I change the oil at 260k.

Back when I was into restoring Triumph sportscars, I had a constant oil change along with exterior lubrication. I'm here all week, try the veal. In all seriousness, I use one of three oils, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and Liqui Moly.

The Liqui Moly is expensive, but it goes into the BMW, which is changed once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. It always comes out looking nearly as fresh as the new going in. Oil consumption is less than half of a liter between changes.

Mobil 1 is in the Taco right now. I had the shop that replaced my tires to do an oil change as I didn't know what was in there. I'll use Mobil 1 if I can't get Royal Purple, Plus, Mobil 1 is pretty good, and is cheap. Mobil 1 is changed every 5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. I have used Mobil 1 since 1984.

Royal Purple is my go-to oil. I have used it in everything I have owned, except the BMW. It isn't a cheap oil, but as synthetics go, it isn't expensive, either. I prefer RP to Mobil 1. I'll change this every 7.5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. This is used in my Supra, as well as all other vehicles I have had since 1990. I'll probably switch to this in the Taco when I change the oil at 260k.
Nothing wrong with royal purple. We did dyno pulls with it in a nascar 358 cu in busch north engine years ago. Its worth a few hp more over other oils. Probably won't make much difference in a stock toyota engine, only that its a bit overkill.

some swear by Castrol oil
Castrol, and several others are all more than good enough oils. Just use good filters, and do the manufactures oil change intervals, and you'll be fine. Heck even wally world super tech oil is fine.

I use toyota filter's in my tractor. Actually mobil, and k&n filters are very good, if not better. They are all I used in my tundra.

i have to figure out HOW to get that oil filter off my rig :confused: now that i have better access to it with the plate removed and almost lower hose off out the way
its a bit more than hand tight on there from Maine but i lack any strength in getting at it without a tool
i have NOT ever removed that filter on my own truck LMAO
and i see why now that its the hugest of pains without the truck sufficiently elevated for leverage

i have to figure out HOW to get that oil filter off my rig :confused: now that i have better access to it with the plate removed and almost lower hose off out the way
its a bit more than hand tight on there from Maine but i lack any strength in getting at it without a tool
i have NOT ever removed that filter on my own truck LMAO
and i see why now that its the hugest of pains without the truck sufficiently elevated for leverage
You gotta get yourself a filter wrench. Those metal ones that slip around filter with a handle work best.
Make sure you use a little oil on the new filters rubber o ring before installing.

i have a filter wrench, but not the right one for this application apparently
it was for the old '79 corolla i had decades ago that had A BIG FATTY filter on the side of that RWD

maybe need a cup wrench?

What Lisle seal puller? Lisle the name of the company...they make/sell all sorts of tools. I use a Lisle oil wrap around oil filter wrench when removing those can filters.

Back