Rear Diff fluid

Jay. You make simple maintenance much more difficult and complex than it actually is.

The Gen2 does not need to have a wheel removed nor does it need to be placed on jack stands or lifted on a hoist to change fluids in the diffs, Xfer case or trans.

These plugs are all accessible with 4 wheels on the ground.

Throw down a piece of cardboard. Slide under the truck on the cardboard. Easy to shift position on the cardboard. Have the drain pan and tools within arms reach. Begin by removing the top plug. Remove the drain plug after the top fill plug is removed. Do it in this order, just in case you are unable to remove the fill plug. If you remove the drain plug first and then can't remove the fill plug.......you're in a tough spot. Because the diff is drained and you have no way to fill it.

I'm beginning to believe you cry wolf for the attention.

If you can get under the truck to clean off the plug and take a picture, then you are able to get under the truck for this simple maintenance.

Well this gen2 sure the Fuk did need wheel removed to even find the stupid plug with the frame in the way, axle boot in the and bumper stop in the way of any clean view up there peeking around

Wheel also needs removed to get shoulder clearance underneath from the side to crack the plugs with the little leverage my left arm has
Since truck is NOT five or six ft lifted level in the air

Last edited:
Six cylinder may be different than 4 cylinder in this front area
Idk!?

The truck is stock height and very little shoulder room to wiggle under so far before getting stuck

Fill plug pic was taken with the wheel OFF, the only way I could access it

My fukced back was butted up against the brakes
So yeah, the wheel must be removed for clearance

Also the gen2 frame dimensions are different between access cab? double cab? and single cab?

It aint so, this has nothing to do with the cab of the truck, or engine size. It's a simple filler plug that can be removed with all 4 tires on the truck including the entire truck on the ground. If you feel better making it a bigger deal than it is, carry-on.

It aint so, this has nothing to do with the cab of the truck, or engine size. It's a simple filler plug that can be removed with all 4 tires on the truck including the entire truck on the ground. If you feel better making it a bigger deal than it is, carry-on.

no it can the fukk not, not in my situation :( where i must hobble under and squirm on my shoulder to get deep under there without getting paralyzed in the neck

i could not even locate the filler plug until my head was buttup against the rotor

Last edited:
Well, if thats the case, so be it, or have someone else do it. I know how it can be working mostly with only my left side. Yeah, it may take longer, but I sure don't go looking for ways to make it harder. I'll take on a project I know that I can do....it's like therapy for me.

is there a uTube video out there showing HOW exactly to do this WITHOUT the truck on a garage lift? ... or an open pit like the quickLubes have

i saw one using ramps, but then truck is not even close to being level

Last edited:
someone else this costs nearly 150$ after all supplies,tax,fees
i used maybe 20$ of product onit
this should not cost much more than 50$ at a lube shop IMO
but then U got this right here...

I can't stand hacks, I like to do things once and do them right...

"If you can get under the truck to clean off the plug and take a picture, then you are able to get under the truck for this simple maintenance."

the wheel was OFF when i took that pic
no clearance for head and shoulder with the obstructions in the way

is there a uTube video out there showing HOW exactly to do this WITHOUT the truck on a garage lift?

i saw one using ramps, but then truck is not even close to being level
There might be a video...heck your the master picture, and video guy....should be easy.

Hmmm....interesting diatribe.

FWIW. I'll be changing fluids in the diffs, Xfer and d&f on the AT this weekend. I did this same work 35,000 miles ago. IIRC, the front diff was the most difficult to access. I was able to reach it with all wheels on the truck and on the ground. I was laying on my back with my RH side against the LH front wheel. I slid under the truck in front of the LH front wheel.

The drain plug was difficult to remove. I ended up using a 3 lb blacksmith hammer and a cold chisel to drive the plug CCW. I had purchased a replacement plug just in case bad things manifested. Yes, swinging a 3 lb hammer with one hand and holding the cold chisel with the other was awkward resulting in a mashed thumb. Lost the nail......again. I was 60 yo at that time. Now, I'm 63 yo. I move a little slower with more care and caution, but I DONT make things more difficult.

Frankly, one day this type of work will be beyond my body's ability. When that time arrives, it will be time to HIRE this work done by a mechanic.

I will need nearly 6 qts of 75w90 with LSD and 3 qts ATF Type WS. These average $12/qt. So, the spend on fluids will be over $100. Oh, I need 1 paper clip, too.

Yeah, it goes into the obdII port. If you have an infrared thermometer gun, that works well to for reading the temp of the automatic transmission pan.

Back