Roll Down rear window

I think I've used my rear window maybe 5 times since new. In a double cab it is not easy to reach. Gotta stop, get out and get to it from the back seat.
Mine has a power slider. But I can understand how it wouldn't be a functional item for you to have or need.

its not all that easy to reach in a cab-inna-half
unless you have longish arm wingspan

single cab rear slider FTMFW
but F toyota for stop putting a V6 in those starting in 1998
When I had my gen1 tundra I liked opening those rear access cab windows in my truck on semi warm days for more ventilation. It was aways a pita to reach that sliding back window, and unlatch it, let alone slide it open. Told myself it's going to be power driven slider in the next truck I get. One of the best things toyota did was making a power sliding rear window for these access cabs. Funny thing though, it wasn't even offered for my access cab tacoma when I was looking at them, only standard for double cabs. You had to order one with the the truck like asking for a tonneau cover if you wanted it.

Mine has a power slider. But I can understand how it wouldn't be a functional item for you to have or need.

i have the dual-pane rear slider
its basically non-functional and purely for the looks old-school style :D

Last edited:
I know we all know everything there is to know about our trucks, but the manual clearly states (well as clear as lawyers can make it) that you should not drive with the rear window open. Why you might wonder. Well, theoretically you could pull exhaust into the cab and suffer from carbon monoxide poisioning. I know, I know. But some idiot somewhere in the entire history of motor vehicles must have done it.

I find the rear slider works great with front windows open and back down a couple inches . totally changes the air flow with backs sides open. Don't know why but it does. Even if u have drivers side down I open drivers back it, it makes a huge difference:)

I know we all know everything there is to know about our trucks, but the manual clearly states (well as clear as lawyers can make it) that you should not drive with the rear window open. Why you might wonder. Well, theoretically you could pull exhaust into the cab and suffer from carbon monoxide poisioning. I know, I know. But some idiot somewhere in the entire history of motor vehicles must have done it.
Awe, your a killjoy.:confused:

Ahhh...that comes from the station wagons of the 50-60s. These were common family rides, few were equipped with A/C. So, they would roll down (by crank) the windows and open the rear glass. This would allow air to enter the front to flow thru the cabin. Unfortunately, this is only somewhat effective at highway speeds. In town, exhaust would enter from the rear window.

I'm reasonably sure there were some lawsuits over this problem, likely with a few deaths.. Now, it is mandated in the FMVSS.

Unfortunately, many laws and regulations are the result of lawsuits and accidents. All in all, the process does make our vehicles safer. This has an awful moniker...."regulation by death"

I have seen it discussed in other forums, but has anyone tried to install a 4runner rear roll down window in their TACO yet? I'm debating whether to try it or not and was reaching out to see if anyone has attempted/completed such a feet. Please advise.

2007 - 2009 Tundra How-To: Power Sliding Rear Window | Toyota

Mr snacksjpg,
thank you for expressing this brilliant idea. If I could take the Toyota Tundra sliding rear window and put it in my Tacoma I would be in Heaven. Someone please make a kit like this for my double cab tacoma. Can you imagine the endless opportunities of having the ability to move from the drivers seat of a Tacoma to the rear of your pickup truck without stepping one foot on the ground after a long day's drive ?

Oh, my, God. For those of us that travel the Interstate system of this great country often, you could literally drive 12-hours and pull over to get some rest in a fully covered bed by way of a camper shell with all the amenities (bed, kitchen, toilet, pantry), with all the doors & windows locked and get a great night's sleep. And then wake up and climb right back into the cab and start driving again…. When it’s 40-below and 6-inches of snow on the ground and you never stepped outside your Tacoma ! Wholie hee-bee geebies sign me up and I will pay the going price for parts and labor. Thank you Mr snacksjpg for thinking outside the box….

I loved that full roll down rear window in my 06 Tundra DC. However I don't think it would be worth the trouble to try to put one in the Taco. Seems like a lot of work. The power slider works well enough to suit me.

My dealer gave my a new sr5 to drive while my '16 was getting new interior stuff and it had an electric slider in the cab back that was really nice no more leaning between the back seats to open cab window !:)

My dealer gave my a new sr5 to drive while my '16 was getting new interior stuff and it had an electric slider in the cab back that was really nice no more leaning between the back seats to open cab window !:)
Wow Cape, you are either one tall mo fo with a 6 foot wing span or you drive an extended cab Tacoma because I'm six foot flat and can't get anywhere near the rear window of my double-cab from the drivers seat….

I've had extra cab Toyotas, and access cabs, being 5'10'', all were a pita to reach back, and unlatch the manual sliding back window.

Wow Cape, you are either one tall mo fo with a 6 foot wing span or you drive an extended cab Tacoma because I'm six foot flat and can't get anywhere near the rear window of my double-cab from the drivers seat….
Is all about the wingspan I'm 6'1" 195. I wish the Taco had the legroom my 928 risky business Porsche had. It was a stick and I actually had to pull the seat forward to get clutch to floor !20230403_064810_HDR~2.jpg
She's tall and long! :)

Last edited:
Back