Solar Panels

Taco Man

I'm just curious if anybody has solar panels on their roof? If so are you happy with them? Why or why not? The reason I'm asking is because I'm having solar panels installed through this deal that's paid for by the federal government. The company Texas Energy Partners is the one doing the work and all I'll have is just a monthly bill from them which is about half what I'm currently paying. They're supposed to replace any panels that get damaged without any out of pocket expense from me. Before the panels can be installed I have to have a new roof because I have hail damage that I have to pay the deductible for! Anyway just curious if anybody has solar panels on their roof.

I had given them some thought, but here's the rub....if you have an asphalt shingle roof, and down the road it needs to be replaced, you have to call the outfit that installed the panels to remove them. Once the roof is done, you have to get them back to reinstall the panels, and it's a real pita having to do it in a timely manor. 2nd, you can either rent the solar panels, and make a tiny savings to your electric bill, or buy them outright, and save a lot more. I got a quote for $30k if buying outright. I figured being at age 70 now it'd take me the rest of my life to come out even, plus I have the other hassles if needing a new roof.

Be sure you have all the details written in a signed contract.

Sounds like you are already committed. I know a few folks who have done this based on the "savings". Turns out, the savings are not as expected.

If you buy them outright, be sure to run the pay back numbers. Be sure to use the Average Sun Days for your location. The panel don't produce much juice at night or on cloudy days.

I'll stay old school with Nat Gas for heating and Electric for lights. Just hope the dingdongs in office don't ban gas stoves.......idiots.

If you are interested in going Off-Grid. May I suggest a wind turbine system. The wind is always blowing, night, day, clouds, clear........rarely dead calm.

You would likely need a system with inverters and batteries for storage. But, there are complete systems.

These can be set up to "sell" the excess electric back to the power company. Potentially a source of income.

Sorry, I don't know about cost.

If you are interested in going Off-Grid. May I suggest a wind turbine system. The wind is always blowing, night, day, clouds, clear........rarely dead calm.

You would likely need a system with inverters and batteries for storage. But, there are complete systems.

These can be set up to "sell" the excess electric back to the power company. Potentially a source of income.

Sorry, I don't know about cost.
Sounds interesting!

The reason the federal government has this program is to "supposedly" ease the strain on the power grid! The power grid here in Texas absolutely sucks thanks to all these Californians and illegals coming here and putting a strain on the grid and causing real estate prices to skyrocket through the stratosphere! I have nothing against California per se it's just that they come here and bring their stupid liberal Marxism with them!

I had given them some thought, but here's the rub....if you have an asphalt shingle roof, and down the road it needs to be replaced, you have to call the outfit that installed the panels to remove them. Once the roof is done, you have to get them back to reinstall the panels, and it's a real pita having to do it in a timely manor. 2nd, you can either rent the solar panels, and make a tiny savings to your electric bill, or buy them outright, and save a lot more. I got a quote for $30k if buying outright. I figured being at age 70 now it'd take me the rest of my life to come out even, plus I have the other hassles if needing a new roof.
I inherited a kit when my dad passed.
I don't understand the numbers about what the kit will provide yet. From what I understand, it will pretty much run the house except AC, and furnace. The stove and hot water heater will put a good drain on it as well. Brother said I can expand on what I have too. The kit has 15 panels. No batteries yet. I plan to mount the panels in the yard on a frame instead of the roof. AC is not important. I am used to and quite like the Texas heat, and am now looking for a wood burning stove for heat.

Be sure you have all the details written in a signed contract.

Sounds like you are already committed. I know a few folks who have done this based on the "savings". Turns out, the savings are not as expected.

If you buy them outright, be sure to run the pay back numbers. Be sure to use the Average Sun Days for your location. The panel don't produce much juice at night or on cloudy days.

I'll stay old school with Nat Gas for heating and Electric for lights. Just hope the dingdongs in office don't ban gas stoves.......idiots.
Depends on your location for natural gas...it's in the clouds here. Heating oil is still cheaper outside of stuff like wood/coal or pellet stove.
Your correct on the savings with solar panels if you have them installed on a renting contract...they take the majority of your electric savings, and you get back a few rubbles.

Depends on your location for natural gas...it's in the clouds here. Heating oil is still cheaper outside of stuff like wood/coal or pellet stove.
Your correct on the savings with solar panels if you have them installed on a renting contract...they take the majority of your electric savings, and you get back a few rubbles.
I'm all electric no natural gas in this neighborhood!

My aunt and uncle had their house built back in the late '80s and it was all electric until recently when they had a Generac back-up generator put in then they tapped into the natural gas lines that were already run through their neighborhood, theirs's is an older neighborhood that already has natural gas lines though!

I'm all electric no natural gas in this neighborhood!

My aunt and uncle had their house built back in the late '80s and it was all electric until recently when they had a Generac back-up generator put in then they tapped into the natural gas lines that were already run through their neighborhood, theirs's is an older neighborhood that already has natural gas lines though!
Electric is even higher than natural gas here. I have electricity, but not for heating the house...my electric bill would be insane. I've got a back up generator that tied into my electrical service when we lose power.
I got a bad feeling this big push to go green is going to get mighty expensive.

Electric is even higher than natural gas here. I have electricity, but not for heating the house...my electric bill would be insane. I've got a back up generator that tied into my electrical service when we lose power.
I got a bad feeling this big push to go green is going to get mighty expensive.
Yeah it'd be nice if the stove at least were natural gas then we could still cook during a power outage but unfortunately that's not the case here!

Unfortunately those back-up generators are mighty expensive!

Yeah it'd be nice if the stove at least were natural gas then we could still cook during a power outage but unfortunately that's not the case here!

Unfortunately those back-up generators are mighty expensive!
They're not too expensive when you lose power for 1/2 the week in 30 degree weather. I was able to run my well pump , furnace, and use the stove, plus keep the fridge, and lights going. Nothing like have hot water to shower with on a cold morning.

I assume y'all know those gennys run on natural or propane gas.

So, if you don't have a supply on your property, then you'll need to run a supply line.

I'm just curious if anybody has solar panels on their roof? If so are you happy with them? Why or why not? The reason I'm asking is because I'm having solar panels installed through this deal that's paid for by the federal government. The company Texas Energy Partners is the one doing the work and all I'll have is just a monthly bill from them which is about half what I'm currently paying. They're supposed to replace any panels that get damaged without any out of pocket expense from me. Before the panels can be installed I have to have a new roof because I have hail damage that I have to pay the deductible for! Anyway just curious if anybody has solar panels on their roof.
you'd be better off planting a big windmill out back to generate clean energy

Back