The BS Thread To Rule Them All!!!

I would have to do some mathematics to compare 85 to 87 vs 91 or 93... Some places have that 93
So I tried 93 once in Wisconsin just to see how it go... I wasn't impressed!
The truck likely only needs 87 octane. Anything more is just making your wallet empty. Octane is a measure of the fuel's resistance to pre-detonation or ping. This is a problem for high compression, high performance engines. The engines in the Tacomas are not considered high compression nor high performance. Check your Owner's Manual to find the recommended fuel octane.

Simple way to compare using math, so it isn't too hard.
Multiply the price per gallon of 87 octane (whatever blend you use, E10, E0, E15) times 33 gallons. Save that number (A)
Multiply the price per gallon of 92 octane times 33 gallons. Save that number. (B)
Subtract A from B to yield C, (B-A=C)
If C is greater than $1, then you should only purchase 87 octane to save the most $$$

Otherwise, you're stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I tried a couple tanks of E15 fuel. Fuel mileage took a big hit. Sure, the truck burned E15 without issue, but it also drank it like a 5 yo with grape soda. My fuel mileage dropped nearly 20%. The E15 was cheaper per gallon than the E10 (my normal fuel), but the mileage penalty made the E15 a more expensive choice. The E15 was not 20% less expensive per gallon.

This day with inflation you need to manage every $$$ to make wise choices to minimize your spend. Even though it may involve some simple math.

Exxon seems a bit much better deal than Shell or BP
if that 100pts gets you a complete 1$ off gallon minimum 20 gallons

100 gallons at BP and Shell with 5c off gets you 5$
100 gallons at Exxon (no initial discount) gets you 20$ on 20 gallons

so 15$ better?

Exxon seems a bit much better deal than Shell or BP
if that 100pts gets you a complete 1$ off gallon minimum 20 gallons

100 gallons at BP and Shell with 5c off gets you 5$
100 gallons at Exxon (no initial discount) gets you 20$ on 20 gallons

so 15$ better?

I only offered a method for you to make a reasonable comparison. Then you decide which is the better choice for YOU.

In an earlier post of yours, you stated that 100 pts at Exxon was $1. You did not clarify if the $1 was per gallon or total sale savings.

You need to make the comparison at the EXXON station where you regularly fill. Jumping across programs offered by different suppliers is not comparable to determine the cost of the perk.
How much money does the 100 gallons of EXXON 87 octane cost?
How much money does the 100 gallons of the EXXON 91 octane cost? Keep in mind, the spend on the 91 octane is the cost to earn the $20 EXXON perk on 20 gallons, not a BP or a Shell perk.

If the cost of the 91 octane is greater than the cost of the 87 octane by more than $20, then you have spent more to save $20.

I think if you run the numbers ....you will discover the $1/gallon savings is a marketing method enticing the consumer to spend more on what they don't need.

But in the end......its your wallet and your choice. I only offer a method to compare.

Last edited:
While bringing up donkeys, When I was working, now retired, we had a judge for a customer, and he raised miniature donkeys. I swear this judge had the iq of them too.

NASA shot of sierra nevada in CA

330386465_929960161784012_5781709550322321902_n-jpg.5347677

Seen these tacos for sale so I had to stop and see. Guy said silver 2nd gen was 12k ... I thought not to bad.... I opened the door turned on the key and almost 300k miles... WOW.. Then I looked underneath.. Smh.. Frame was flaking and had 1 half dollar size hole that I seen.. I feel sorry for who ever buys this truck and doesn't check out the frame.. Now I see why it's $12,000 View attachment 17427
oh my my

Back