What did you do with your Taco today

Wouldn't trade my 3.5 auto for any 4.0. It's the best running truck to date, and I thought my 4.7 tundra was pretty good except for not passing a gas station.

Idk how rare...maybe because it's a 2020 access cab? Toyota made enough of them years before. I don't consider it rare....it's just not popular with later year tacoma's.
You obviously never owned a 4.0 Tacoma if the 3.5 is the best running you have owned. Mine was a slug even with a CAI and a Gibson exhaust. Don't get me wrong. It ran ok. It got awesome MPG. Just provided no SPG (smiles per gallon). The Atkinson cycle kills the power band by leaving valves partially open during combustion. If they had used the 200 hp Camry version of the 3.5 it would have run much better. Then it would not meet the CAFE requirements with mpg. There is a legit reason they never replaced the 4.0 with a 3.5 Atkinson in a 4runner. I have owned many vehicles and my 3rd gen was one of the most underpowered of all. My turbo 4 banger Ford Escape 2.0 had way more power. I didn't buy my 3rd gen to be a performance truck. I bought it as my retirement vehicle and paid it off in 27 months. I had a 2008 4.0, with 58k miles, when I bought the 3rd gen. After 2 weeks I really wrestled with which truck to sell. My wife convinced me to sell the 2008 since the 2016 had a new warranty. As soon as the warranty ran out I finally sold it. Now 2 years later I am extremely happy with my 4.0. Everything I missed about the 3rd gen I added to my 2nd gen including leather, NAV, WiFi, rear camera, level springs and struts, etc.. Can't do anything about the lower mpg but I wouldn't trade 1 foot pound of my low end torque for more mpg. I loved my 3rd gen but it never measured up to my 2nd gens (had 3 of the 2nd gens so far).

If only they threw that 4.0 into the gen2 single cab I would like it much

I filled my Taco up with gas this morning... I always keep up my fuel milage no matter what I drive, my Supra averages 20mpg (over 230k miles, epa sticker says 16/21), and my BMW averages 26mpg with mostly city driving and consistent 33mpg on the highway (80k miles, epa says 20/30). So, this morning I figured up my average mileage for the Taco. Keep in mind I have just over 257k miles, previous owner kept the maintenance up religiously. I am averaging 20mpg with mixed driving, 19.8mpg to be exact, with highway speeds in the 75-80 range. The worst mileage I have seen is 18.5mpg, and that was all city driving. So, I look for the epa rating... 16 city, 20 highway. I was a little impressed to say the least.

I apologize if my last post came off rude. After having a 3rd gen for 5.5 years, as well as owning a pre-gen, a 1st gen and three 2nd gens, I sometimes let my personal experiences affect my reactions. I am a Toyota truck guy and just think Toyota dropped the ball on the 3rd gen. I am very hopeful that the 4th gen is the best gen ever. I had high hopes for my 3rd gen. It was a nice truck. It got killer gas mileage. With my mods it was the best looking Tacoma that I ever owned. I think my 2016, being the 1st year of a new gen, had more warranty and recall issues than I expected. After the 1st 6 months all of the bugs were worked out. There were a lot of bugs. It was in the shop more than any of my previous ~50 vehicles (Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet, Buick, Mazda, Mercury, Honda). Never had any engine or transmission issues other than the quirky automatic design. I did continue receiving recalls and tsb letters for months after I sold it. I considered getting a tune but I had already decided that I felt more comfortable with the 4.0. At that time there were more frequent reports of timing chain cover oil leaks and a few reports of rear main seal leaks. I drove it less than 2k miles in the last year before selling it. Being out of warranty, with the prior issues, I just felt it was too risky to keep it. I still think 3rd gen owners, that never owned or drove a 2nd gen, are naive to think the stock 3rd gen V6 is a "great running" truck.

You obviously never owned a 4.0 Tacoma if the 3.5 is the best running you have owned. Mine was a slug even with a CAI and a Gibson exhaust. Don't get me wrong. It ran ok. It got awesome MPG. Just provided no SPG (smiles per gallon). The Atkinson cycle kills the power band by leaving valves partially open during combustion. If they had used the 200 hp Camry version of the 3.5 it would have run much better. Then it would not meet the CAFE requirements with mpg. There is a legit reason they never replaced the 4.0 with a 3.5 Atkinson in a 4runner. I have owned many vehicles and my 3rd gen was one of the most underpowered of all. My turbo 4 banger Ford Escape 2.0 had way more power. I didn't buy my 3rd gen to be a performance truck. I bought it as my retirement vehicle and paid it off in 27 months. I had a 2008 4.0, with 58k miles, when I bought the 3rd gen. After 2 weeks I really wrestled with which truck to sell. My wife convinced me to sell the 2008 since the 2016 had a new warranty. As soon as the warranty ran out I finally sold it. Now 2 years later I am extremely happy with my 4.0. Everything I missed about the 3rd gen I added to my 2nd gen including leather, NAV, WiFi, rear camera, level springs and struts, etc.. Can't do anything about the lower mpg but I wouldn't trade 1 foot pound of my low end torque for more mpg. I loved my 3rd gen but it never measured up to my 2nd gens (had 3 of the 2nd gens so far).
I've heard it's a crap shoot with these 3.5's where some run really well while others are slow, especially the early models, like the 2016. I can't complain. My 2020 runs as good as my 4.7 v8 did in a heavier tundra. It's a rocket soon as you stab the shinny petal. It'll make you forget it's a 6. I tow my boat, and utility trailer with it just fine. Truck has plenty of towing power. Even the auto transmission is a joy. It shifts super smooth, and precisely when it needs to. I just don't get it, with all the bad press the gen3 gets. It's a great mid-size truck.

Last edited:
How will your Gen3 handle once it gets to 300k+ miles and 1/4 century old

If we're both still alive, I'll keep you posted. Right now I got a long ways to go before 300k. I guess there's a few gen3 tacoma 3.5's out there now with over 200k miles, so they can't be all pos's.

I've heard it's a crap shoot with these 3.5's where some run really well while others are slow, especially the early models, like the 2016. I can't complain. My 2020 runs as good as my 4.7 v8 did in a heavier tundra. It's a rocket soon as you stab the shinny petal. It'll make you forget it's a 6. I tow my boat, and utility trailer with it just fine. Truck has plenty of towing power. Even the auto transmission is a joy. It shifts super smooth, and precisely when it needs to. I just don't get it, with all the bad press the gen3 gets. It's a great mid-size truck.

My 2016 runs like a top. I have 127k miles. If you need passing power just drop gears and get the revs over 4k and you are off.

20230728_124651.jpg

True. Mine just had no low end torque even after adding a CAI and good flowing exhaust. Those did help throttle response. I don't think it would spin a tire on ice. Couldn't see spending tune money on my 2016. It had so many issues in the 1st 6 months I nearly traded it for a much more responsive new Ranger 4 banger when they came out. I suffered through mine for 5.5 years and 25k miles. It got fantastic mpg but zero spg. The minute I started test driving 2nd gens, again, I knew I made the right decision for me. I didn't have gear hunting issues but hated that, when in drive, it liked to go to 6th gear under 40 mph. I had a few scares where I nailed it to beat traffic and it nearly stalled. Not a good feeling.

True. Mine just had no low end torque even after adding a CAI and good flowing exhaust. Those did help throttle response. I don't think it would spin a tire on ice. Couldn't see spending tune money on my 2016. It had so many issues in the 1st 6 months I nearly traded it for a much more responsive new Ranger 4 banger when they came out. I suffered through mine for 5.5 years and 25k miles. It got fantastic mpg but zero spg. The minute I started test driving 2nd gens, again, I knew I made the right decision for me. I didn't have gear hunting issues but hated that, when in drive, it liked to go to 6th gear under 40 mph. I had a few scares where I nailed it to beat traffic and it nearly stalled. Not a good feeling.
Thats strange, I've got decent low end, more than enough to smoke the tires really good, especially if I power brake it. It'll squeal the tires every time I floor it from a stop. I've been more than happy with my access cab 2020. Everyone tells me to use S4, or drive in the ect mode. I've tried it, and it sucks, eating more fuel, and over-revving. Might be fine for trailering big stuff, but definitely not for me when hauling my utility trailer, or boat. I just put it in the S5 mode, and it's perfectly fine. Other than that it's the D mode for everything else.

Thats strange, I've got decent low end, more than enough to smoke the tires really good, especially if I power brake it. It'll squeal the tires every time I floor it from a stop. I've been more than happy with my access cab 2020. Everyone tells me to use S4, or drive in the ect mode. I've tried it, and it sucks, eating more fuel, and over-revving. Might be fine for trailering big stuff, but definitely not for me when hauling my utility trailer, or boat. I just put it in the S5 mode, and it's perfectly fine. Other than that it's the D mode for everything else.
Didn't matter on mine. 1st gear, on ice, ect, S4 whatever. SLUG. My 4 banger turbo Ford Escape ran circles around my 3rd gen. That is a very true and very sad statement. Never been happier than I am going back to 2nd gens. No tune needed.

Didn't matter on mine. 1st gear, on ice, ect, S4 whatever. SLUG. My 4 banger turbo Ford Escape ran circles around my 3rd gen. That is a very true and very sad statement. Never been happier than I am going back to 2nd gens. No tune needed.
That truck needs to go back to the dealer, at least to find out if it has the latest engine/transmission tsb.
On another note, boy it sure has been hot the last few days. Temp, is just over 100 f on my back deck.

That truck needs to go back to the dealer, at least to find out if it has the latest engine/transmission tsb.
On another note, boy it sure has been hot the last few days. Temp, is just over 100 f on my back deck.
Oh it went back quite a few times. A ton of warranty repairs, recalls, tsb's, 3 transmission flashes, etc etc etc.. Was in shop more than any of my 50 previous vehicles. Lost faith in it with 25k miles. And yes it is hot. Just finished adjusting mower deck, sharpening blade, cutting yard and a ton of edging. 97 air temp and 108 heat index.

What did you do with your Taco today ?​

I got a late night call last night and was told my daughter in law's water broke and she was going into labor. I drove my Taco seven hours t Missouri to be there for them. That little angel came out weighing 4 lbs and 15oz. I can't believe I'm a Grandpa….

Oh it went back quite a few times. A ton of warranty repairs, recalls, tsb's, 3 transmission flashes, etc etc etc.. Was in shop more than any of my 50 previous vehicles. Lost faith in it with 25k miles. And yes it is hot. Just finished adjusting mower deck, sharpening blade, cutting yard and a ton of edging. 97 air temp and 108 heat index.
I wonder if you'd qualify for the lemon law with that many issues, while claiming the truck still doesn't run right....it hasn't been fixed.

I wonder if you'd qualify for the lemon law with that many issues, while claiming the truck still doesn't run right....it hasn't been fixed.
No nothing would have qualified as safety related. More 1st model new gen problems. Icing on the cake was the final recall notice for potential frame perforation. Sold it and got exactly what I paid for it after driving it 5.5 years. Banked a few grand, bought a 2012 Tacoma SR5 and within 30 days picked up another one, 2008 OffRoad with 83k miles, so I have been very happy for the past 2 years. Driving trouble free.

I think here in connecticut it's not only safety, but general use defects, or loss in value for a newly bought vehicle. If it can't be repaired in 2 years, you can qualify for the lemon law.

Back