What have you done to your Tacoma today?

I let my Tacoma rest and me.

We just covered 1100+ miles. High head winds both going and coming, Cold. High sustained speeds for hours on end. Traffic.

Fuel use was a bit higher than usual, but not horrible. 16.5 mpg to feed a 4WD, 4.0L V-6, pushing 80 mph against 20-25 mph head winds.

Fortunately, the roads were snow/ice free. No snow South of the IA/MO border.

Now, just waiting to hear the results of my trip to Stillwater, OK.

<edit> Well, the results of my trip are negative. Had a nice drive though.........so, stuck on square 1. :(
You were wheeling all or some of the way in 4wd?

I stared at my truck sitting in the driveway as I worked my butt off so others can stay home and not work and complain how bad our country is.

I stared at my pickup sitting in the garage and decided to chop the ice collecting in the driveway. Then ventured out in my Tacoma for the wife's creamer at Walmart. Took it out of four-high once I was off the side streets.

Pulled it out in the rain to knock the mud off...
i NEED to pull mine out into the rain to knock all of this nasty salt off! its covered init...

stupid county smothered the local roads with liquid for a pittance of a snow less than an inch
its crap

Today is oil change day.

Maintenance Required light is on solid. So, 5 qts, filter, prop shaft lube. Fortunately, the temp is expected to climb into the high 30s..... so, I shouldn't freeze my jimmy.

Right now......reliving some childhood memories. Watching Bugs Bunny & Friends. Still damn funny and a bit ridiculous. Ok.....really ridiculous.

4WD was not needed on clear roads.

Didn't use 4WD.
ok i wasn't quite clear from your description of feeding a 4wd there what you meant by that??
i had my taco in basically full time 4wd for thousands upon thousands of miles on sketchy patchy iced roads in the lands of no-salt just sandy roads and even the packed ice snow covered Wyoming roads

Today is oil change day.

Maintenance Required light is on solid. So, 5 qts, filter, prop shaft lube. Fortunately, the temp is expected to climb into the high 30s..... so, I shouldn't freeze my jimmy.

Right now......reliving some childhood memories. Watching Bugs Bunny & Friends. Still damn funny and a bit ridiculous. Ok.....really ridiculous.
yeah, i need one as well! ... but i have NO maintenance light LOL, gotta keep it all in the brain
pushing 8200 miles since last change at the
checked the level and can you believe its still at full mark, no leaking or burning at 290k miles,
i am going to collect a sample and send it to the lab for analysis in Indiana, see what condition the semi-synthetic is at
which i last did a bit over a year ago in Nov''21
unfortunately i am not able to change the filter, its a very difficult task on my rig, so let the old one keep working until the next change when i get it done at the dealer or somewhere of the sorts... just not a quikLube type of shop
but first i need to get underneath it all and wash all that nasty salt off and wipe down and inspect frame that i had recoated years ago
its VERY laborious on me

also going to need to put in a gallon of rainX washer fluid that i went through in Colorado
the nasty black grit they put on their roads in winter does NOT just readily wipe off the windshield, it just smears, like the great midWest plains salty melted ice mix spray does, basically saltwater, without the use of washer fluid most of the time before it dries

IMG_5705.JPG

+10k foot tunnel pass treated for icy buildup

next morning looks this way caked everywhere, like black nasty ice

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

It was -15 here early this morning when I had to meet some potential buyers that want to convert my shop into making major league wood bats. They already are producing them elsewhere, and need to expand.
I started my truck, and it wasn't happy letting out a loud groan as it fired up....don't know what was up with that? My tundra never did it even in -30 temps in northern Quebec. At any rate, drove the truck to my shop which felt like the steering was stuck in thick mud. I get the feeling this tacoma isn't a cold weather vehicle, or just needs a lot more time on it to loosen up.

yeah, i need one as well! ... but i have NO maintenance light LOL, gotta keep it all in the brain
pushing 8200 miles since last change at the
checked the level and can you believe its still at full mark, no leaking or burning at 290k miles,
i am going to collect a sample and send it to the lab for analysis in Indiana, see what condition the semi-synthetic is at
which i last did a bit over a year ago in Nov''21
unfortunately i am not able to change the filter, its a very difficult task on my rig, so let the old one keep working until the next change when i get it done at the dealer or somewhere of the sorts... just not a quikLube type of shop
but first i need to get underneath it all and wash all that nasty salt off and wipe down and inspect frame that i had recoated years ago
its VERY laborious on me
oh my....... you do realize that oil doesn't last forever..............

IMHO, you are way over due for a change. The oil analysis is pretty much worthless because you only can determine oil condition AFTER it is removed and replaced with fresh oil. There is no reasonable way an analysis of old oil can predict the long term condition of the fresh oil. It may give an indication of the internal damage to the engine. But even that is looking back to the past....... Sludge can build without any indication in an analysis.

FWIW, the trip set is a good tracker for oil change intervals......... After I reset the Maintenance Required indicator, I will zero the Trip B odometer. I don't fully trust ID10T lights.

Always, always, always change the filter with the oil. Get the best filter you can. WIX, Bosch and ACDelco are typically the top 3 in quality and filtration. If I recall, the WIX has 99% capture at 23 microns with a capacity of 18 grams.

Oil/filter change and prop shaft lube took 30 minutes of time. EZPZ. Just doesn't make sense to extend the interval and risk bigger problems.

Last edited:
Been changing my oil about every 14 months, or 10k miles or so. Same with our Toyota car. My brother has done the same with his Toyota, and he's got well over 100k miles on it. We all use mobil 1 extended service, same stuff as the Toyota dealer here has been using for customers.

Been changing my oil about every 14 months, or 10k miles or so. Same with our Toyota car. My brother has done the same with his Toyota, and he's got well over 100k miles on it. We all use mobil 1 extended service, same stuff as the Toyota dealer here has been using for customers.
you need to drive that tacoma more!
do you still partake in the sledding?

oh my....... you do realize that oil doesn't last forever..............

IMHO, you are way over due for a change. The oil analysis is pretty much worthless because you only can determine oil condition AFTER it is removed and replaced with fresh oil. There is no reasonable way an analysis of old oil can predict the long term condition of the fresh oil. It may give an indication of the internal damage to the engine. But even that is looking back to the past....... Sludge can build without any indication in an analysis.

FWIW, the trip set is a good tracker for oil change intervals......... After I reset the Maintenance Required indicator, I will zero the Trip B odometer. I don't fully trust ID10T lights.

Always, always, always change the filter with the oil. Get the best filter you can. WIX, Bosch and ACDelco are typically the top 3 in quality and filtration. If I recall, the WIX has 99% capture at 23 microns with a capacity of 18 grams.

Oil/filter change and prop shaft lube took 30 minutes of time. EZPZ. Just doesn't make sense to extend the interval and risk bigger problems.

yes! i do realize its a bit overdue if 7500 miles is the non-severe recommendation
OMG where was i at when it hit 5000 miles, i was probably wheeling it at 10k feet in Colorado at negative 15 below zero on an icy slope :eek:
i do have two new Toyota OEM filters i bot from online discounted dealer... i just wish my trucks front skid plate did NOT weigh 10x more what the Gen2 does!

i suppose most of the wheeling i did on this current oil does not fall under severe conditions, or maybe it does?
it wasn't very hot out, only had to turn the A/C on a few times
many thousands of miles spent in 4wd, quite a few late nights with temps near 20 below zero
numerous mountain hills ascending and descending... horrific crosswinds that choked the engine of air sometimes
45mph or so in 4wd through the whole state of Wyoming after they opened i25 but still icy and snowpacked, very treacherous but still the most thrill i've had in forever :cool:

IMG_5732.JPG

you need to drive that tacoma more!
do you still partake in the sledding?
Yeah, I'm doing a short drive with the sled and trailer up to mount greylock in ma. next week. I plan on digging the sled out of my garage soon as it warms up some. Finally nice to see what snow looks like.

Yeah, I'm doing a short drive with the sled and trailer up to mount greylock in ma. next week. I plan on digging the sled out of my garage soon as it warms up some. Finally nice to see what snow looks like.
Move to IA. Got about 6-8 inches sitting in the yard, not counting drifts. This is after 24 hours above 32F.

Back