What Year Toyota Tacoma Is Your Favorite?

When you live long enough, you learn never ever to buy a first year model unless you like misery. I've found it takes toyota trucks about 3-4 years before a model is nearly gremlin free, and it hasn't gotten better. Imo, you'd have to be hard up for their first year 4th gen taco, or an idiot to buy one
I would agree if it was a Chevy or a Dodge. I expected better from Toyota. Apparently many of the "1st year" issues continue to affect 2023 models.

I would agree if it was a Chevy or a Dodge. I expected better from Toyota. Apparently many of the "1st year" issues continue to affect 2023 models.
Idk about all post covid models, but there are no issues with my 2020 that was built before covid. It runs great, having none of the problems the 3rd gens had in earlier years.

So far, I actually like the 2013 the best. I like the redesign they did with the headlights and I figure they just keep getter better and better each year!

talk to me about that redesign? what's it all about?

not bashing on anyone but...im not really a fan of the new facelift...
the interior on the new ones i love over my 08 but the 05-11 front ends look way better :D
what changed
how noticeable is it?

I will say, the only thing I liked about those older trucks was nearly no electronic nanny bs, and simpler to service. Otherwise the new stuff has them beat everywhere else.

The ALL-Plastic door paneling junk definitely does NOT beat the comfy cozy carpeted doorpanel cards used in the mid/late 90s Tacoma

I guess if one lives in their truck that could be an issue, but for most of us the plastic is fine....makes these trucks more fuel efficient being lighter. I rather have a nice riding truck like these gen3's with good fuel economy, and power, than what those past gen1 pickups rode like.

all that hard plastic just has a nasty + cold feel to it EVERY time i hop into the '11 Gen2, its a suckFest
plus the bumping of head on the top of the cab opening is annoying AF

Gen1 ride hard and noisy in a strong headwind
plus windnoise induced that is most noticeable abouve 70mph on the freeway

but i like to hear that 5VZ get down to work with the nicest of power humming

i have no clue if you can hear the engine powerUp on the V6 Gen2 or Gen3 V6 like you can the Gen1
4cyl Gen2 cannot hear the engine much at all unless rpm way high up there struggling

Yeah, I keep hearing how the gen1 is priceless, but at the same time remembering riding over to a friends home in one that keeps convincing me otherwise. While the gen3 doesn't ride as plush as my tundra did, it has a more sporty firm ride to it with better seats, and way more power.

I'm kinda partial to the '06 Tacoma SR5 Sport Access Cab with 4WD, 4.0 L, AT and 17" wheels.

Why......because its MY truck. :p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Gotta go....game is on.........

Well, thats the same here, never owned another gen taco except this 3. Gotta admit this gen3 is a lot more fun to drive then my gen1 tundra.

the gen1 Tundra was a bigger truck overall than yer gen3 taco?
Not really, just a tad wider wheelbase in the tundra. Length is nearly identical. Toyota has made the gen3 turn a circle far tighter than the tundra that seemed to need a baseballl field to turn around in. Camera's in the tacoma make it easy getting in, and out of tight spaces. The gen3 taco just has a far more sporty ride vs my old tundra that wallowed going through sharp corners. Then you have that big power rush in the tacoma when you put the heel to the steel....it's 50 mph to 80 is what you'd expect from a good v8....this little 3.5 really hauls the mail.

love my '16 turdy sport! But I do miss my 03 tundra had 3 inch cat back and a 3 chamber flowmaster single and kept the torque upand k&n air filter .And the Taco is just a tad smaller ur right . I had an Addco 1-1/8"sway bar it really tightened up the tundra plus I had 18' s w 285-60-18 on it.:) ill be putting one one the Taco too! say that fast 5 times! lol. :)

Last edited:
I haven't read or heard too many complaints with pre-covid tacos like the 2019, or early manufactured 2020's as I have. Seems everything after covid struck, quality became questionable, with the complaints starting up again.

love my '16 turdy sport! But I do miss my 03 tundra have 3 inch cat back and a 3 chamber flowmaster.and taco is just a tad smaller ur right . I had an Addco 1-1/8"sway bar it really tighten up the tundra plus I had 18' s w 285-60-18 on it.:)
Except for installing a total flow master cat, and dual exhaust system on my4.7 v8 01 tundra, all else was left stock. That said this bone stock v6 3.5 taco will absolutely smoke that tundra.

Back