Why do you drive a manuel transmission ?

are there any known issues with the 4speed Taco auto
other than the utter sluggishness of trying to pick up speed with the quickness on the highway whilst in top gear, its a real sucky feeling to have zero power when it maybe needed for safety avoidance

The "power" problem you mention is not due to the transmission. It is due to the engine.

The transmission can not deliver power it doesn't receive. No transmission is 100% efficient.

For that situation, you may need to down-shift to drive the engine speed up into the power band of the engine.

4 cylinder engines need to rev higher because the power band is in the higher rev range. This is typical for any 4 cylinder engine. Rev that 4 squirrel popper up.

I've changed my fluid once since new. Still on the factory clutch with 120k miles and teaching two kids to drive stick plus towing, off roading and every summer in NC mountains.
i am pushing near to 300k on original clutch but it is on its last legs (especially in that last stop and go in Chicago rush) i think sometimes LOL, granted no towing and mostly longass distance miles between tacoJuice stations and no need to touch the 3rd

then i did have to get the master/slave replaced at 210k because the yota mechanic told me that is what was causing the 3rd pedal to NOT fully return (had to toe it back up) especially after being in reverse

other tacoma toyota forums told me this issue of the limpy pedal return was due to the bracket springs and stuff in the assembly so i really did not know
looks like the master toyota ASE had one up on that forum BS trying to diagnose the bracket being the culprit because its been over 80k miles and the pedal is normal operation still... it was a bit on the costly side though, a bit over 600$ with non-discounted parts

Last edited:
dammit i just love rowing the gears on the old taco wheelin' it in the big city rush stop and go for miles on end
it makes me smile :) that is why

IMG_3282.JPG

i can drive here, i'm a winner
things are gonna change, i can feel it

Last edited:
I often get asked why I chose my Tacoma with a manual transmission. I usually say it's to feel superior to other drivers, rowin through the gears, but in reality, as I drive around town snapping pictures of other Tacomas or dropping-off, picking-up stuff, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't get much better gas mileage, it's crappy in heavy traffic, and I can't hold the steering wheel, sip coffee, and shift gears at the same time.

In reality I love being able to accelerate in confidence and not guess when my transmission will down-shift or up-shift. It's great in snow and mud being able to ease the torque on and not dig in deeper.

So I ask; why did you choose a manual transmission?
doesn't your rig have like a dozen cupholders to put that coffee down that you are sipping?
i have 2 cup holders front and center right near the center front vents for convenience unless its a bit bumpy

other than the utter sluggishness of trying to pick up speed with the quickness on the highway whilst in top gear, its a real sucky feeling to have zero power when it maybe needed for safety avoidance
Certainly wasn't any in my 4 speed auto the tundra had. That tranny was bulletproof. This 6 speed in my tacoma feels just as good. It's well matched to the engines output.

I wholeheartedly agree! I was used to driving a V8 for many years then dropping down to a 4 banger, with an auto mind you, it really takes forever to build up any momentum at all!

What an interesting perspective. I have had mostly manual autos in my life because I enjoy the art of driving. I grew up on manuals and although I do enjoy the ease of an automatic as in my 2020 Taco, I did enjoy the shifting when I wanted, the selection when downshifting, the control, etc.
I think part of it is my love of how vehicles work and the joy in making it all happen on my terms.
I still think my new Taco automatic has a mind of its own but we are finally getting along better.

I wholeheartedly agree! I was used to driving a V8 for many years then dropping down to a 4 banger, with an auto mind you, it really takes forever to build up any momentum at all!
When I test drove a gen3 2.7 auto tacoma after I had driven a v8 tundra for years, it was a big disappointment. This 4 banger in a midsize truck that weighed nearly the same as my tundra felt like I was tied to a stump when going uphill. I thought Toyota made a big error offering a 4 cylinder in these gen3 trucks.

Has anyone push started a vehicle with a automated tranny?
Not sure if its possible. Need to back drive the transmission to spin the Torque Converter to spin the engine.

The TC is coupled to the engine by the trans fluid. It isn't a mechanical connection.

When I test drove a gen3 2.7 auto tacoma after I had driven a v8 tundra for years, it was a big disappointment. This 4 banger in a midsize truck that weighed nearly the same as my tundra felt like I was tied to a stump when going uphill. I thought Toyota made a big error offering a 4 cylinder in these gen3 trucks.

no Gen3 trucks are single cabs are they?

You MT owners will like these! Lol! I got these off Amazon because they're funny but so true! You can get them in 4-speed, 5-speed, and 6-speed gear patterns!

Attachments

• 20230224_185442.jpg
    20230224_185442.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230224_185428.jpg
    20230224_185428.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back