2016 Tacoma SR5 Howling noise

I bought a 2016 Tacoma DBL Cab Limited 4x4 in November 2015.

I've been having a bad wind noise issue with it (as seen/heard in attached video). The wind noise is a loud howling noise that makes talking on the phone difficult to impossible, especially on Bluetooth.

It is NOT from holes in control arms; not from step tubes; etc. It is a door/window seal issue. Much worse at 80 MPH with a quartering head wind coming over right front fender toward left rear quarter panel. Any solutions found yet? Thanks.

I bought a 2016 Tacoma last October and quickly identified the wind noise on the highway in gusty conditions. This is my first and last Toyota purchase. Complain to Toyota customer service as I did. As of now they say "it is a noise characteristic of the vehicle" and Toyota has no plan to fix the problem. Total BS, I'll trade it for a domestic soon as I can. Somebody needs to get a lawsuit started!!!

Folks, this issue was resolved... The air pattern over the holes in the lower control arms produce the howling noise. I picked up a couple of plugs at lowe's for a couple of dollars and the noise is all gone.

The detailed fix with duct tape or plugs is on tacomaworld. Search 3rd Gen threads with keyword "howling". Mine was gone in 30 seconds.

I was driving home today in my 2016 Tacoma and heard this loud howling noise from the right side of my truck. I could not figure out where it was coming from but it continued to get louder as I drove down the highway, then I realized I'm not in Kansas anymore. Tornado warning. I traded my 2016 Tacoma for a full size American V-8. The howling wind noise is gone, end of story.

I was driving home today in my 2016 Tacoma and heard this loud howling noise from the right side of my truck. I could not figure out where it was coming from but it continued to get louder as I drove down the highway, then I realized I'm not in Kansas anymore. Tornado warning. I traded my 2016 Tacoma for a full size American V-8. The howling wind noise is gone, end of story.
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1461071744.077187.jpgtoyota has asked all 2016 owners to please fill out the questionnaire

Hello, Just bought 2016tacoma sr5 4x4 and as soon as you hit 35 mph. weird howling sound come from driver side. Its not the window but from under the left side. Anyone else has this issue?. Tacoma is from Mexico Plant.
Thanks.
Hello, Just bought 2016tacoma sr5 4x4 and as soon as you hit 35 mph. weird howling sound come from driver side. Its not the window but from under the left side. Anyone else has this issue?. Tacoma is from Mexico Plant.
Thanks.
Yes with Highwinds driver side window

I had the interim fix applied and it helped a lot with the wind noise. Today they applied the complete fix as is installed on the 2017 Tacoma. They replaced the front door seals and replaced the rubber windshield side moldings with a plastic molding. We will see if it solves the reed type noise.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1484585220.090328.jpg

i have had the door moldings replaced twice now some TSB it still does it but only in extreme wind not as bad as it was......

IMG_3315.JPG
Thanks.
Yes and i have a fix for you. Its the a arms in the front end. They have holes in them which act like a harmonica at certain speeds. Buy this rubber plug kit and it should solve your problem.Enter this on Amazon 90950-01824

fixed the howling on my 2016 Tacoma Sport by putting duck tape on the holes on the lower control arm

Does anyone have a photo of what holes to plug. On my 2017 there are holes without plugs but they are very small.

Thank you

M

left-ca-jpg.880726

Back