2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by ScreaminYoda, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ScreaminYoda

ScreaminYoda Well-Known Member

So my brand new Tacoma sr5 makes an obnoxious "engine noise" which Toyota is calling it "normal" from the high pressure fuel pump! How can this be normal? It sounds horrible while at idle!

4wd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Doesn’t sound normal to me but I have never been under the hood of a running 3rd gen.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    858_tacoma_guy, 4wd and OR17TRD like this.
  4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Mine doesn’t sound like that. 2017 DCLB off-road.

Atomic Diesel and ScreaminYoda like this.
  5. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

I've got a 3rd gen and it's quiet. That doesn't sound good at all.

ScreaminYoda likes this.
  6. mcklovin77

The only noise I hear under the hood is a light tick from the fuel injectors. The video sounds like a bad lifter or rod. It actually almost sounds like it's a diesel in the video. Take it to a different shop if the mechanic thinks that noise is normal.

ScreaminYoda likes this.
  7. mcklovin77

I keep watching the video in wonder. Now it sounds like an old 1930's farmall tractor.

JmsWms, OR17TRD and ScreaminYoda like this.
  8. OR17TRD

I would take it to another dealer if you can. If they say it’s normal ask to go on the lot and listen to other Tacoma’s and see if they sound like that. If they don’t then they can’t say it’s normal.
    You could go back to the dealer you went to and have them go listen to others with you on their lot and see if it’s normal.

9. OP
    ScreaminYoda

That's what I'm sayin..it Only has 300 miles on it and it's never been past 4k RPM. High pressure mechanical fuel pump? You can't hear it when you give it gas, only at idle.

OR17TRD likes this.
  10. OR17TRD

Is this one of those new $13k SR5 V6 4x4’s @pondman was talking about being able to buy? :D

Bogunn and ScreaminYoda like this.
  11. mcklovin77

Lmao or17trd

OR17TRD and ScreaminYoda like this.
  12. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound right to me. Definitely take it to another dealer .

Bogunn, OR17TRD and ScreaminYoda like this.
  13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Sounds a little too loud for the high pressure fuel pump.... have it looked at for peace of mind by another dealer.
    If worse comes to worse at least it’s under warranty.

14. OR17TRD

If another dealer won’t do anything I would immediately call corporate and start a case with them. That usually gets the dealer off the “it’s normal” BS.

4wd and Bogunn like this.
  15. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

First off I APPLAUD the OP for taking note & getting some audio/video up (finally someone gets it)

If it were legal I'd go back & slap the guy that told you that upside the head for insulting you're intelligence ,

High pressure/low pressure/ no pressure, no way in hell is that a fuel pump (they're in the gas tank right ?)

& no lifter because you don't have lifters, it sounds like it's coming from pass. side & sounds like metal to metal, I also hear what sounds like a "sucking " sound like from an air pump (not saying you have a pump, just sounds like one) In any event not normal by any means, I'd do as suggested & start a case file...

16. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

This is an excellent idea... Can't deny it when it's right in front of both of you, but don't tell them shit, just show up & start listening...

OR17TRD likes this.
  17. OP
    ScreaminYoda

If I'm sitting at idle and hit the gas it kinda stalls at first and sounds like air coming out like the timing might be off a little or something. Thanks for the input

OR17TRD likes this.
  18. 858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

Why I’d never buy a 3rd gen. Can’t beat the reliability of the 4.0l’s.... except those 05’s, those 05’s were junk.

ScreaminYoda likes this.
  19. OR17TRD

People will be saying the same thing about the third gen 10 years from now.

“Why I’d never buy a 4th gen can’t beat the reliability of the 3.5L’s.... except those 2016’s, those 16’s where junk.”
    Haha

20. 858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

But I’m not wrong now, am I?

21. OR17TRD

Hopefully you’ll own one some day. ;)

Bogunn likes this.