2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

I’m at my dealership as I type this for this very reason in my 2018 Tacoma had it here at 3k for the same thing they told me it was normal, now it has 26k on it ,after listening to a couple of different trucks with the same motor , mine is a lot louder, sounds exactly like the video. The service guy I got this time told me he’s never heard one as bad as mine , we’ll see what they come up with for a fix..... Up Date ... They are telling me it’s the vacuum pump , they ordered one and are putting it on Friday. I’ll let you know if that was the problem. I also called Toyota and filled a complain about how noisy the motor is .
Just had my vacuum pump replaced on my 2018 Tacoma. No difference in the sound. I was not able to talk to the mechanic but the service rep said it was a emissions vacuum pump they replaced. I don't think that was correct. From what I read it is a brake vacuum pump. I can't find the installation instructions on the pn. 29300-0P040 on line so I don't know where it is located.

I’m at my dealership as I type this for this very reason in my 2018 Tacoma had it here at 3k for the same thing they told me it was normal, now it has 26k on it ,after listening to a couple of different trucks with the same motor , mine is a lot louder, sounds exactly like the video. The service guy I got this time told me he’s never heard one as bad as mine , we’ll see what they come up with for a fix..... Up Date ... They are telling me it’s the vacuum pump , they ordered one and are putting it on Friday. I’ll let you know if that was the problem. I also called Toyota and filled a complain about how noisy the motor is .

I just had the vacuum pump replaced on my 2018 Tacoma for the same reason. No difference on the ticking sound. I was not able to talk to the mechanic but I asked what the vacuum pump pn. 20300-0P040 is for and the service tech said it was for emissions but research said it was for brake system. Can't find any installation instructions on the web to check what was replaced.

I have a 2020 off road v6. It makes the ticking sounds when it self cleans the injectors. When I first heard the noise I thought it was the lifters clicking but it was the injectors self cleaning.. The sound at idle can last up to 10 minutes. When driving it occurs at stoplights and idle times. Under power it exits the cleaning mode and the sound disappears. At idle it come back again. Does the self cleaning injector work. Only time will tell.....

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 ,53k miles on it. I can hear the”ticks” on idle sometimes, but nothing like the video. There’s definitely something wrong with that engine.I you want i can post a small video of the engine running on idle for comparison.

Unfortunately my 2017 Tacoma sounds like the video. Seems louder since the dealer replace my gaskets. Im told that’s how the engine sounds. I did listen to another 2017 that sounds exactly the same. Tacoma’s are not the same as it used to be.

Maybe the newer ones are quieter. The sound of these engines remind me of the old overhead cam straight 6 engine Pontiac used in their lemans back in the mid sixties.

Maybe the newer ones are quieter. The sound of these engines remind me of the old overhead cam straight 6 engine Pontiac used in their lemans back in the mid sixties.
My friend had one in a '67 firebird 3 spd on the floor convertible. Had a Holley 4 barrel on it from the factory ! Probably a pretty rare car now.

The lemans overhead cam six came with a 4 barrel rochester carb and 4 on the floor called the sprint. It also came with a 2 barrel, usually in the auto. I use to watch those bone stock lemans sprint's turn consistent low 16 second quarter mile runs at the drags.

That would be a cool motor to put in a duece coupe I bet people would have no idea what it was! His firebird was a sprint also.

Back