2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by ScreaminYoda, Jan 10, 2018.

1. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new Tacoma. Welcome to the forum.

jrdemasi likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. jrdemasi

jrdemasi New Member

Thank you! It's a first for me - I come from Jeep land

4. OR17TRD

Post up some pictures.

lcarrasco212 likes this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

6. rashjmatt1974

rashjmatt1974 New Member

I have 2019 and have the same exact thing. I don't think this is normal at all.

I keep hearing that this is high pressure fuel pump/cleaning cycle but the knocking interval (metal sound) does not add up to the frequency of high pressure fuel pump and sound is no where near that pump assembly.

I recorded that deep metal rapping noise (no where near the high pressure fuel pump) and it is happening at 500 rpm engine idle like 4 times a second (500 crank rpm / 2 crank shaft revolutions per exhaust cam revolution = 500/2/60sec = 4.16 times per second).

If it were the high pressure fuel pump (exhaust cam driven on this) the cam actuate the high pressure fuel pump like 3 times a cam revolution so 500rpm / 2 crank shaft revolutions per exhaust cam revolution x 3 fuel pump cycle per exhaust cam rev / 60 sec = 500/2*3/60=12.5 fuel pump cycles per second and this is NOT what I'm hearing. This has got to be an injector or valve I think.

upload_2019-4-25_6-2-32.png

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Yeah that sounds horrible to me.

B-Man likes this.
  8. DeathMouse

DeathMouse Member

I haven't had this problem on my taco yet. (Fingers crossed it doesn't happen). But, I had a similar noise in my TC. 2.5l i4. Dealership said it was the injector pump and to try switching to non ethanol. Which I did next fill, and half way through the tank the noise cleared up. Try running a tank of non-ethanol if you can find it. There are only 2 stations within 50 miles of me that have it.

Lil G likes this.
  9. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

That’s a cheap thing to try. I would try what deathmouse tried. Dang sure can’t hurt

DeathMouse likes this.
  10. OR17TRD

Welcome to the forum.
    That sounds like a 22re with 300k miles on it haha.
    Sorry your 2019 sounds like that.

B-Man likes this.
  11. K Slim

K Slim New Member

I’m at my dealership as I type this for this very reason in my 2018 Tacoma had it here at 3k for the same thing they told me it was normal, now it has 26k on it ,after listening to a couple of different trucks with the same motor , mine is a lot louder, sounds exactly like the video. The service guy I got this time told me he’s never heard one as bad as mine , we’ll see what they come up with for a fix..... Up Date ... They are telling me it’s the vacuum pump , they ordered one and are putting it on Friday. I’ll let you know if that was the problem. I also called Toyota and filled a complain about how noisy the motor is .

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. warakesTaco

warakesTaco Well-Known Member

17 sport here. Mine does have a light ticking noise but I was told by many people that’s how Tacoma’s sound. Doesn’t sound as loud as yours but similar just quieter.

texasred and James L Speagle like this.
  13. tempdifference

tempdifference New Member

I also have that sounds. I was told it’s some sort of self cleaning fuel injectors. I stopped worrying about it and forget weather it’s the same or a quieter sound. It definitively isn’t to far off from the sound your getting.

Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Called Toyota head office and made a case with them. I let them know about the sound, some transmission behaviours I wasn’t comfortable with, and a howle at 75 to 95 km/h coming from the rear.

I heard from a few sources that it’s important to call in and get them to document these things. Incase right after your warranty the same sounds and behaviours that you told them to look at become the reason for a big dent in your pocket.

Scott Wyman likes this.
  14. pm4985

pm4985 New Member