Do you go to the Dealer for Maintenance?

I don't mean to be rude, but there are so many idiots out there. You really can't trust anyone. Only people you can are the ones you really know and know they do good work. That's why I try to do everything on my truck by my self, because when you do it for your own car you care more then some mechanic getting paid 18 bucks an hour.

Know the man!
Perception is reality for some. A big shiny dealership service center or an independent shop give a perception based on your experiences. What is reality are the staff: Service Writer, Master Mechanic. Lube Technician. Quality Control.

Keep your eyes wide open, connect, communicate. ask to be shown, look for yourself. Blind Trust based on a perception will end in betrayal!

a big concern for i going to dealershop now to get things looked at, maintained properly or whatever the case may be that i do not possess the abilities to do well or a working knowledge base is that nearly all the staff are barely older than my antique truck and many (especially the service advisors) the truck is even older than they are but they love seeing it come in the door lol since they likely see so few of them anymore around here

some don't even know how to drive a manual transmission

thank goodness the truck is not a complex machine with all shiitts and shorts of gadgetry
it is very very basic mechanics for the majority

Last edited:
They see big $$$ signs any time an old vehicle comes through their doors. Figure anyone stupid enough to have that old a vehicle isn't afraid of pouring more money into it. When I ran my shop we called them cash cows.

thank goodness my rig has had so very very few problems overall
just some major worn-out old parts, get some new quality ones on and good for another 20 years of the gen1 tacoLife lmao
biggest issue i have had is in competent parts changers

this one dealershop out-of-state i found for conventional oil and filter changes with their 22$ coupin punchcard don't check fluid levels
with all of the anti-salt spray i have under they just note on the ticket MULTIPLE LEAKS FOUND
SMH

thank goodness my rig has had so very very few problems overall
just some major worn-out old parts, get some new quality ones on and good for another 20 years of the gen1 tacoLife lmao
biggest issue i have had is in competent parts changers
I don't have any issues with old vehicles as long as one is heathy, and able to do the majority of repairs on it themselves. Its when your older like myself, and have some heath issues, your far better off owning a new vehicle....way less headaches, and chances of a major issue leaving one stranded somewhere. Sometimes I have to take my wife's advice on this which I hate to admit at times she's right.

should I take this truck into dealer for diagnostics on the excessive fuel consumption
They should have the tools and knowledge base + expertise?

And also to find out what the heck this noise is that goes away when clutch pedal pushed in fully

I just want to know if I can DIY it at all first and foremost
I am unintelligent and desire knowledge

Back