Help! Short box vs long box

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1486318767.821667.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1486318781.002251.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1486318792.837175.jpg
This is my solution to camping ⛺️ on top ⛽️ on top I will make a solar power on top on my rack and still have roo for a kayak and fishing

Reactions: WEX
I can't speak for the third gen trucks

But I had two second Gen, one with a long bed and one with a short bed

My 12 which was the long bed got totaled and when I replaced it I got a short bed

The Honest answer is do you like the look of one over the other, and do you have something that you will haul regularly that needs the space. Something like a motorcycle, work stuff things like that

If not the short be would be a good choice

Aulthogh it is a foot shorter there is still a good amount of room

My DCSB is a daily driver with weekend duty as the home work truck and toy.

It's hauled a crap ton of 2x4s, dirt, shrubs, trees, gun safes, kids soccer gear. I regularly have my 15' kayak back there. Dirty wet dogs, kids, hunting gear.

No dead Deer yet unfortunately, but that will happen soon enough and I'm sure it will fit

It even fits fishing poles without any trouble

The long bed was better for sleeping/camping as I could lay flat with the tailgate closed. I still sleep in the short bed but just need to keep the tailgate down

They do also handle differently. The long is very manageable and by no means is difficult to drive but it does have a longer wheel base which you will notice when driving and parking

I have a cramped parking garage at work and the long bed fit fine but sometimes needed a little more work to get in

The short bed is much easier to park

If you have a need for the long bed then it will be a good choice

But the short bed is very capable of handling it share of work and has its own advantages
Thank you for that, best response yet. I was starting to convince myself of the long bed for the extra room, but like you said I don't really need it. I will be working in Seattle and commuting 40 miles daily to work and 40 miles back, so the short bed may be my best option.

It's not just looks. The long bed has a longer wheelbase. So for off-roading, the short bed is better. Not a huge difference, but your break over angle will be different. Only matters if you off road a lot on technical terrain.

It's not just looks. The long bed has a longer wheelbase. So for off-roading, the short bed is better. Not a huge difference, but your break over angle will be different. Only matters if you off road a lot on technical terrain.
I just checked out a long bed and I think that's what I'm going to go with.

I just checked out a long bed and I think that's what I'm going to go with.
You won't be disappointed. It really comes down to what your priorities are. I wanted a truck that was more agile off-road. So for me, the short bed was better. I use a Yakima Skybox and roof racks to get extra storage for those times when I need it. And those times only occur a few times a year...sadly. But if bedspace is your priority, then definitely get the longbed. So far, I love mine.

You won't be disappointed. It really comes down to what your priorities are. I wanted a truck that was more agile off-road. So for me, the short bed was better. I use a Yakima Skybox and roof racks to get extra storage for those times when I need it. And those times only occur a few times a year...sadly. But if bedspace is your priority, then definitely get the longbed. So far, I love mine.
Thanks for the input! Still haven't bought yet so I could come out with either one, it's just the truck I'm gonna keep for awhile so I want to make sure it's perfect!

Cool. I'm looking to do a lift just like your's. don't want to overdo it, nor is it necessary for the kind of off-roading I do. Did you go with 285's on 17-inch rims?
Yeah I did, I really like them so far, the tires that it came with were pro comp tires and they are terrible, 20,000 miles and they are damn near bald, definitely getting toyo tires next, had those before and the are amazing

IMG_3253.JPG The short bed is better for off-road. If you plan to sleep or camp in the back then you're going to want the long bed. They both get similar gas mileage so that's a wash. You cannot get a manual with the long bed. If you have bikes you will have to take off the front tire if you wish to get them in the back of a short bed. I love my long bed and putting a canopy on it really made it look sharp. I do have to admit they look a bit odd without a canopy. I am more into fishing and camping with a few dirt roads which might require four-wheel-drive but I do not go off roading with mine as I have a full-size Chevy with a 6 inch lift if I feel the need to beat up one of my vehicles. Honestly I would wait until they resolve all of the transmission problems and maybe wait for the 2018 to come out. I have had a lot of serious problems with my Tacoma and I'm sorry but I just can't recommend getting one. I'll make you a great deal on one if you want mine LOL! I think a 2016 with a few miles on it would have been a better option. Any serious road trip on the highway with any hills involved becomes very annoying the amount of times the truck will shift up and down… And I mean really annoying!

Last edited:
View attachment 10953 The short of it is better for off-road. If you plan to sleep or camp in the back then you're going to want the long bed. They both get similar gas mileage so that's a wash. You cannot get a manual with the long bed. If you have bikes you will have to take off the front tire if you wish to get them in the back of a short bed. I love my long bed and putting a canopy on it really made it look sharp. I do have to admit they look a bit odd without a canopy. I am more into fishing and camping with a few dirt roads which might require four-wheel-drive but I do not go off rading with mine as I have a full-size Chevy with a 6 inch lift if I feel the need to beat up one of my vehicles. Honestly I would wait until they resolve all of the transmission problems and maybe wait for the 2018 to come out. I have had a lot of serious problems with my Tacoma and I'm sorry but I just can't recommend getting one. I'll make you a great deal on one if you want mine LOL! I think a 2016 with a few miles on it would have been a better option. Any serious road trip on the highway with any hills involved becomes very annoying the amount of times the truck will shift up and down… And I mean really annoying!
Did you try this update?
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1487383119.029391.jpg
It helps.. my is much better after this one.

Did you try this update?
View attachment 10958
It helps.. my is much better after this one.
Yes I have the most current update which definitely helped a lot but it is still highly annoying. The six gear is almost useless unless you're going downhill or extremely flat. The slightest change of incline causes mine to shift between fifth and sixth. Also, if you use cruise control my truck will never shift into six gear unless I set the cruise point above the speed I want it and then bump down my speed so the engine shifts into six. I'm sure they will come out with more updates but according to my dealer I have the most current update for my truck.

Just as an update, I just put my deposit down on my truck. I went with the MT so therefore short bed as well. Truck will be here mid march, for everything I wanted. Can't wait!

Yes I have the most current update which definitely helped a lot but it is still highly annoying. The six gear is almost useless unless you're going downhill or extremely flat. The slightest change of incline causes mine to shift between fifth and sixth. Also, if you use cruise control my truck will never shift into six gear unless I set the cruise point above the speed I want it and then bump down my speed so the engine shifts into six. I'm sure they will come out with more updates but according to my dealer I have the most current update for my truck.
I have identical issues as you describe. I too have had all updates including the one in pic.
Which fixed alot of my issues btw. But still have the same remaining issues as you. Frustrating on long road trips......

Back