Help! Short box vs long box

Just as an update, I just put my deposit down on my truck. I went with the MT so therefore short bed as well. Truck will be here mid march, for everything I wanted. Can't wait!
Good deal you will like the MT. Love mine. What color?

I'll chime on as I have some firsthand experience with both in the third gens as well as with AT vs MT in both. Broken record but as so many have said, it comes down to intended use. That said, the only reason (apart from looks) for the long bed is if you actually have to haul stuff regularly. I would not recommend it for someone who has those few times a year where it might come in handy. I actually bought a long bed and while it looked great with a 4" lift and nice wheels, it was a PITA to fit in the garage and also made parking in suburban areas more difficult. Certainly not a huge deal but more difficult all the same. I don't regularly haul enough stuff that would necessitate the long bed abut I do offroad once a month so for me, it became obvious that I bought the wrong truck. I owned that truck about a month before deciding to find a short bed and as luck would have it, not only did I find one, but I found a manual with the same mileage! Wound up trading my SR5 DCLB AT for a TRD MT DCSB and have never looked back. Its only a foot shorter but handles SOOOO much easier and still has plenty of bed room. Right now, I have five 17" tires and wheels in the bed and still have available space.

Bottom line, if you need to haul regularly or really prefer the look of the LB, that's your rig. My opinion is that if you only meet the second of those criteria, then go SB as I think its a more practical truck for the everyday user/non-work user. Obviously, that perspective is from someone living in the burbs who gets the truck muddy one day a month (or maybe two). Those living in more open space will have a massively different point of view.

Good luck and have fun choosing! Here's a shot of my SB, just because....

lift 3.jpg

Wow did you open up a can of worms! I ended up getting an access cab with a long (6') bed. I don't have a bunch of people to transport and as long as I have room for my golf clubs behind the seat, I don't need a double cab. I need the long bed because on occasion I may need to pick up stuff like, plywood, etc. The extra length comes in handy. To me, a double cab with a long bed is way too long.
Your choice, my friend. :)

I am under 6 ft and I go truck camping a lot. I got a camper shell and sleep in the back on a platform. Will you be hauling more people than stuff? Or more stuff than people? That shorter bed is kinda useless in my opinion.

Back