How often do you change your oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Nathan, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Administrator Staff Member

I'm constantly debating this in my head. I used to change my oil every 3,000 miles like clock work. But with newer vehicles they often don't suggest it until you go 5,000 and sometimes 7,000 miles.

Lately I've been moving towards 5,000 miles. How often do you change your oil?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bills03

Bills03 Member

I change mine every 3,000 miles like clock work. It's never failed me and I don't want to screw with what's working.

4. Howlin

Howlin Member

The dealer is recommending 10,000 with Synthetic but there's no way I'm going to wait that long inbetween oil changes. I'll probably change my oil every 6,000 - 7,000 tops.

rrt1949 likes this.
  5. OP
    Nathan

Yea, it's hard to follow that recommended interval. Seems like way to long. I question the filters life too.

6. TRD4x4

TRD4x4 Active Member

I go 7,000 between changes. That's with synthetic oil.

7. OP
    Nathan

Seems like a nice interval for Synthetic

8. tn2012tacom

tn2012tacom New Member

5,000. That's when my light comes on to change, and that's when I get it done. My reasoning is that if that's when Toyota recommends it, then that's when I should have it done, ya know? They made a truck that will outlast me so they probably know how to take care of it.

rrt1949 likes this.
  9. OP
    Nathan

Yea, it's when they recommend Synthetic only get changed every 10,000 miles that I start getting all worried that it's a conspiracy to make my vehicle die early so I'll have to buy a new one ;)

10. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

5000. 3000 is a waste even with dino oil.

11. MGMTacoLover

MGMTacoLover Well-Known Member

I will do it 2 times a year

rowdyNoles22 likes this.
  12. Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan MOnty Lives on

I change my oil every 5k almost exactly. I change it about 3 times a year.

rrt1949 likes this.
  13. Tacoma tx/pro

Tacoma tx/pro New Member

Dealer recommends every 5000 miles so that's what I go with.

rrt1949 likes this.
  14. Tacoma tx/pro

Tacoma tx/pro New Member

Just bought a 2012 tacoma tx/pro TRD 4 door. What a great truck !!

SABmotocross likes this.
  15. Jerez

Jerez LED swap hombre

Change mine every 5k so about every 2-3 months:..

16. Shooting Bull

Shooting Bull New Member

I have a 2012 2.7L. In past vehicles, I use to change every 3000-4000 miles. With this vehicle using synthetic, I will go with 5000 mile mfr. recommendation, plus the're free with ToyotaCare for 3 years. FIY, the dealer tried to tell me at 5000 miles, they do not change the oil. I had to show him in the manual and get the Service Manager involved before they agreed Toyota recommends 5000 mile changes for the 2.7L.

17. ae111black

ae111black Moderator Moderator

I do mine when the idiot light goes on. I run a napa gold filter and synthetic oil so 5-7k I'm good

18. Ghost

Ghost Well-Known Member

:cool: 8000 miles, Mobil One full synthetic extended wear, and Toyota OEM oil filters

rrt1949 likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Well-Known Member

All oil filters are inferior to OEM oil filters, check Chris's write up on TW. Toyota filters are also super cheap like $3something

20. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

I use Motorcraft oil filters :blink:

And I change my oil religiously every 5,ooo miles

21. NJtacoma

NJtacoma Rocking a Taco Since 2000

I also do my oil at 5k.