How often do you change your oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Nathan, Feb 15, 2013.

1. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

5k with toyotas factory spec oil and filter

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Tacoma06

Tacoma06 Well-Known Member

5k mobile 1 synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone,
    Tacoma06

4. 05yotataco

05yotataco Member

Ultra synthetic oil every 3,000 miles. Got 224,000 miles and not a dip of fluid

5. Mike991GTS

Mike991GTS Well-Known Member

3,000 is way to early, but it is fun to do, so have at it!!

6. BigMau

BigMau Well-Known Member

Do the oil and filter change when the dash light comes on!! That's about 4,400 miles for me!! Modern oils are designed to go the distance!!

GUNGA GALUNGA likes this.
  7. bucky99

bucky99 Member

I prefer 3000 oem filter and oil. I change my self only because Toyota local dealer over fills.

8. bucky99

bucky99 Member

Tacoma 2012 v-6 tx pro trd... Just changed my spark plugs 32000 miles. Was very easy for me first time. Only buy from dealer denso no gap needed most important must use torke ratchet 15-f pounds each New plug. Takes about one hour. Say your money do it your self. Cost me $16.00 parts. Good luck yall!!!!!

9. TacomaLoverExtroa9681

TacomaLoverExtroa9681 Well-Known Member

I run Castrol full synthetic, and I change it every 6,000 miles.

10. PinkTaco

PinkTaco Well-Known Member

Every 5k

11. pedruskito

pedruskito Member

Tacoma 2012 every 5k mobil 1 highly recommended for Toyota

12. Ventura

Ventura Member

2012 TRD SPORT 5,000 miles valvoline synpower !

13. Ventura

Ventura Member

5000 miles valvoline synpower !

14. silverT

silverT Active Member

Wile this is an old post , views still matter .
    For the sake of simplicity & fairness of best oil concept for a car .
    Lets start with ,
    Doing it your self and
    a trip to wall-mart delivers a different vantage point
    you can pay for a conventional 5 qt jug $16 to $19
    and pay $22 to $25 for 5 qt jug of synthetic
    Lube shops charge a major premium for synthetic .
    So when you can equalize the price with what I stated above Synthetic is the best choice & change as fits your stile of belief
    Before wall-mart when Synthetic was close to twice as much.
    An oil change each 3000 miles was hard to except & excessive given the properties of Syn.
    Times have changed use Synthetic pick your viscosity & intervals - - enjoy the superiority
    proven over the last 40 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

15. ryan.coma

ryan.coma Member

5,000miles oem semi synthetic.

16. silverT

silverT Active Member

Wile I'm not into getting in deep as to what is better Dino or Syn. I've heard Dino oil's can do some things better
    rust prevention . neutralizing acids So possibly semi synthetic is a great choice . A blend is better then conventional oil .
    I have a friend who swears great luck with his own blend Mobil 5W30 conventional at 2 qt's and 3 qt's Mobil One 5W30

17. Mjp2

Mjp2 Well-Known Member

Rusty internals?
    Ive never done a teardown....but rusty internals on a regularly used vehicle is a thing?
    Syn resists thermal breakdown better which effects viscosity, which is def a real issue. Also pours much easier at low temps unlike dino molasses.
    Get back to me on the rust thing if u can, im intrigued for sure.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  18. Mjp2

Mjp2 Well-Known Member

In case i didnt answer this thread tho, mobil1 at 5k miles with factory filter. I pay $5 per filter, so it makes sense

19. silverT

silverT Active Member

It was just some thing I remember reading in an auto mag .
    I for one use synthetic & have for years

20. Mjp2

Mjp2 Well-Known Member

Bummer

21. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Wile... while I waited for a great climax to rusty internals I was left slightly disappointed.
    For the past few years I've used Mobil 1 synthetic Extended 15000 mile with the Mobil 1 extended filter and changed it at 10k or at 1 year whatever came first. That was on my 2007 tundra. Before that I was using Mobil 1 synthetic and changing it between 5-7k miles depending on how I was driving.
    I haven't had to change the oil on my 2017 Tacoma yet. I'm going to let toyota service do the next 2 years at 5 months or 5k miles whatever comes first. Use the 2 year 25k mile toyota care that came with it.
    I'll change my own oil after that once a year with Mobil 1 Annual Protection ultimate full synthetic and the filter to match.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017