Off-road or sport?? Buying a new one

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by deputydavid301, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Got the overlays off eBay for under $15.

oconnor and OR17TRD like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Lil G

Lil G Well-Known Member

Great looking truck !!! Congratulations and thank you for keeping the community safe.

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  4. OP
    deputydavid301

deputydavid301 Member

Hey thanks!! Now gotta get a tailgate pad. Didn’t realize my bike wouldn’t fit lol.

5. Gadget29

Gadget29 New Member

Congrats! Looks great!

6. NewTacoDad

NewTacoDad Member

Agree w/ cruzjjcruz...I bought the OR and bought a Rugged Premium trifold hardtop cover. Most brand name covers are better than the OEM covers (as I’ve heard from others on this forum), and installation is not difficult. To me, the OR is more versatile and rugged than the Sport, and includes more goodies IMHO.

7. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Well-Known Member

Sport comes in Inferno!

8. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Well-Known Member

Oops, late to the party. Nice truck!

9. manual tacoma

manual tacoma Member

I have a Sport and love it but I don’t intend to got off road much

The off-road has some nice adders
    Congrats

mcodyv and Bogunn like this.
  10. Bunsoko

Bunsoko Member

I have no real desire to go off-road so I have the TRD sport, but if you can get the OR for the same price etc might as get the one with more features. Overall, the sport is very capable - especially when you put bigger tires on it.

Bogunn likes this.
  11. Joisey

Joisey Member

I bought my Tacoma in July of this year. I test drove a 2018 Sport and TRD off road at the same dealership. They were even the same color, and both V6 and automatic.

The suspension on the sport is more harsh, and the hood scoop limits forward view. The 17-inch rims limit tire choices and raise the price considerably when compared to the 16-inch rims on the off-road.

The off-road had a softer suspension, and now, with over 3K miles on the truck, I have yet to feel a lean or understeer from a 'too soft' suspension. Then there are the options that the off-road can get that the sport cannot.

Concerning the 'truck tires' on the off-road. Mine came with blackwall Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar. The best behaving tires that I have had on a non-sportscar in my almost 50 years of driving. I'm curious as to the life of the tires, but time will tell.

Overall, I am satisfied with my truck. It came from the dealer with low rear and front axle fluid (20 ounces and 4 ounces, respectively), horribly overinflated tires, 9 ounces low on AT fluid, and low antifreeze levels. At 1700 miles my 'information center' went south. First the clock stopped working, then the GPS had me driving thru streams, lakes and across major highways. The dealer fixed the 'information center' under warranty. Evidently a bad antenna connection toasted the GPS unit in the 'information center'. The cost of the info center is $3600 retail. So far, the replacement unit works fine.

OR17TRD and B-Man like this.
  12. TheDonutAllStar

TheDonutAllStar Active Member