overdrive gear ATM - A340E A340F

if it has to do with ECU then that likely means it needs a special tool scanner programmer to adjust it?

so far i have not encountered this on the interWebs with someone else having this very issue with this type transmission engine combo
This is something the factory develops a program for the shift points stored in the ecu, or what the aftermarket tuners do. It's up to the electronic solenoids inside the tranny to carry them out when called for. You can have a sticky solenoid for that particular gear causing the issue, among other things like fluid issues that developed varnish in critical areas inside the tranny like the valve body.

tarnish even at 84k miles with 2 atf transmission fluid drain'n'fills on the record?

It's likely something else. Toyota occasionally has mods for some of their autos, just as other manufactures....might be worth checking for this one.

10 year old post from 2o14 with the exact same issue i have been having on this Gen2

I have had both the automatic and manual transmission in a 4-cyl Tacoma. Nothing beats the ease of an automatic but I absolutely hated how it would handle itself on the highway when climbing hills.

Cruising along at 2,800 rpm then a sudden downshift and screaming at 3,900 rpm - a little obnoxious and I no longer have that happen in the standard. If you aren't climbing hills very often, I would go with the auto.

Automatics are torque sensitive to what the engine is capable of making. The 2.7 is a turd, so that might be the issue when in a heavier taco like a gen2. I can personally tell you when I test drove a 2020 2.7 gen3 access cab, I had to scream the engine going up a long hill just to keep up with the traffic in the other lane. No way would I ever buy a gen3 taco 2.7 4 banger auto, or manual.

the 2.7 will handle the freeway hilly just fine and dandy if in gear3 and haulin it upto 4k RPM and nearly 90mph before manually throw it back into that D
this is a single cab with 4x4 capability, fwiw
not quite as heavy as say a cab-inna-half is

so lucky U they discontinued the sharp little single reg cabs in the gen3 offerings

the 2.7 will handle the freeway hilly just fine and dandy if in gear3 and haulin it upto 4k RPM and nearly 90mph before manually throw it back into that D
this is a single cab with 4x4 capability, fwiw
not quite as heavy as say a cab-inna-half is
My gen3 3.5 v6 rarely see's anything over 3k rpm, unless pulling my 2k lb. boat uphill in 4th gear. Usually it's around 1.8k rpm, or lower for everything else.

tacoJohn in Denver bounces the red often in his superCharged '97 V6 single cab!
with 750k miles
2nd engine

There are many in the gen1 uni that firmly state the 5VZ-FE can take the highish RPMs with no ish as long as that oil is maintenanced proper... The engine was game changer in its days of the mid 90s
I maintenance the one I am in care of well but never take those RPMs to 4k like this gen2 needs to climb the mighty hills without buggin down

Should I back down the atf transmission fluid drain n fill interval on this gen2 to keep from getting burnt
It is almost 4500 miles since last 4qt drain old put in new type t-iv

The Gem2 AT (A350 ) has a recommended fluid change interval at 100,000 miles.

I did mine at 105,xxx, with about 3 quarts out of a 12+ quart system. Then at 136,xxx, I did another change with 3 fresh quarts.

I figure, as a DIYer, I can only change about 25% of the volume, so I shortened the change interval to match the other 30,xxx mileage items.

Yeah, knowing what I know already about toyota automatics, they don't like old atf in their tranny's, especially if any towing. Imo, the atf should be serviced before 40k miles. My tundra's manual said every 15k miles a 4 qt drain, and refill. Even the toyota dealer here recommends the gen3 auto at 60k miles for just regular use.

Last edited:
had a lotta issues with this yesterday wheelin' in the strongest of winds on the freeway
it just would NOT shift down to 3 from D to gain maintain the needed speed and had to manually shift into that 3

Did you ever get that chitbox fixed from the body shop? That could be a reason no ones repaired it yet.

had a lotta issues with this yesterday wheelin' in the strongest of winds on the freeway
it just would NOT shift down to 3 from D to gain maintain the needed speed and had to manually shift into that 3

Man that trans is really screwed up. Most downshifts go from D to 3.

Frankly, I think you are dealing with a played out trans. Low fluid maybe part of the problem, but I suspect the friction plates have worn thru the wear material. In the exploded parts diagram you posted, the friction plates are all those rings.

You'd prolly be $$ ahead to drop a rebuilt trans in the truck. Let the worn out trans cover the core charge.

Good luck.

Back