overdrive gear ATM - A340E A340F

Sounds more like you have a faulty transmission that its not learning your driving habits, or its got a bad torque converter the dealer, or toyota is saying its normal.
My 2020 auto learned my habits, and road conditions I mostly operate the truck on within 1500 miles while using the D mode only, but I started out with a fresh truck having no miles on it by anyone else.

i can better understand now the hesitation to take yer gen3 wheeling and exploring west of the Mississippi river
once you cross it your rig will say WTF! where is tacoJoel going? and get all wonky erratic shifting on you

Just got off the phone with Toyota. They are aware of the issue some people are having with the transmission (newer Gen. 3) and their engineers are working on a fix. If and/or when that will happen, no one knows.

i read somewhere or over there about not having it in D unless you are going over 50mph
and just to keep in gear 3 (or 4) for the 5speed automatic))

so having never personally owned an automatic i have no clue what to do with this or if its even a thing

do i need to attend a drivers ed class ? ? ?

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Toyota. They are aware of the issue some people are having with the transmission (newer Gen. 3) and their engineers are working on a fix. If and/or when that will happen, no one knows.
Toyota isn't stupid. I gotta believe they already know what the problem on some of these vehicles are. They don't believe it's a safety issue, or one thats serious enough that warrants replacing a transmission. Be interesting how their new taco 8 speed operates.
Jay... you can start by going back to the 1st grade, and graduating every grade after that like that billy madison movie. Maybe then we'll discuss attending driver ed.

Last edited:
i read somewhere or over there about not having it in D unless you are going over 50mph
and just to keep in gear 3 (or 4) for the 5speed automatic

so having never personally owning an automatic i have no clue what to do with this or if its even a thing

do i need to attend a drivers ed class ? ? ?
I’m gonna try that after I get a few more hundred miles on it since they reset the transmission learning . It’s still learning again

Toyota isn't stupid. I gotta believe they already know what the problem on some of these vehicles are. They don't believe it's a safety issue, or one thats serious enough that warrants replacing a transmission. Be interesting how their new taco 8 speed operates.
Jay... you can start by going back to the 1st grade, and graduating every grade after that like that billy madison movie. Maybe then we'll discuss attending driver ed.
Would be nice to test drive one of the new ones. I didn’t want one of those though, that’s why I got a23 before they were gone and the new ones came out. Plus I was in need of a vehicle at that time.

Been hearing a lot more griping about all these post covid 3rd gen's. Idk what's up with that...did Toyota go tapioca with qc? Well at any rate, you need to give these auto's time for them to get through the learning process before condemning it. For some odd reason not all of them lean as well as others. Maybe you got one with special needs? lol

There is still ATF fluid in there that is 13yrs old and 85k miles of usage

So what, you're not going to drink it I hope. I had atf in my tundra probably from that many miles still, and it always ran fine. All you need to do is those 4 qt drain, and refills.

Been hearing a lot more griping about all these post covid 3rd gen's. Idk what's up with that...did Toyota go tapioca with qc? Well at any rate, you need to give these auto's time for them to get through the learning process before condemning it. For some odd reason not all of them lean as well as others. Maybe you got one with special needs? lol
Probably the vaccine zombies working in the Mexico plant. But, I have 28,000 miles on it. Must be a slow learner.

Probably the vaccine zombies working in the Mexico plant. But, I have 28,000 miles on it. Must be a slow learner.
If thats the case with 28k...if it ain't learned anything by now, it never will. I experienced big changes in mine at 1200 miles....after 1500, it's been about the same. Sort reminds me when I had a serious stroke. Through all sorts of therapy, and hard work, I learned 90% of my brain back to functioning normal in 6 months, but according to some they don't think so. I just don't have all my right side full strength back, and never will.

It's not unusual for something in an older transmission to go tapioca, or even need some sort of upgrade thats been found to work fixing this issue. You're never going to find the reason by complaining about it, hoping it fix's itself without having a dealer, or tranny shop check it out.

i have been experimenting with the MANual downshift from D to 3 at freeway speeds to maintain speed up these massive mountain here on the great plains.

it seems to downshift and engine revs upto 4k RPM smoothly manually doing this

when at or near the top of the hill when feel it is that time to put back into D and keep wheelin' along (usually over 80MPH at this juncture)

when this is done (put back into D) the RPM will JUMP like 500 (0.5k RPM) before settling back down
is THIS normal because i really do not fukkN know these AT operations at all :confused: and i am so sorry about not knowing WTF is going on

Ok. first understand that when YOU shift from D to 3 YOU ARE forcing the downshift. The corresponding engine speed increase is normal.

When YOU shift from 3 to D while the engine is at high engine speed, it will take a moment for the ECU in the trans and engine to adjust.

Seems all is normal.

Back