overdrive gear ATM - A340E A340F

Possible. Depends on service, loading, towing, hauling, maintenance..................many factors.

Like I mentioned earlier, could be a faulty solenoid sticking, or a tsb on this tranny needing an upgrade to fix what's causing this issue. Only a tranny shop like ACE transmissions or toyota would be able to know.

Like I mentioned earlier, could be a faulty solenoid sticking, or a tsb on this tranny needing an upgrade to fix what's causing this issue. Only a tranny shop like ACE transmissions or toyota would be able to know.
Agreed. Best to visit a transmission shop.

I can't recall, but thought a buddy of mine thats an auto tech once told me toyota has a mod kit for one of their popular auto transmissions that has to do with this issue. Its a bit involved that requires drilling new passageways in the transmission's valve body, and adding new components.

This gen2 rig does not have the ECT button
Is that what is missing?
That is odd...I thought all gen taco auto's got ECT...electronic controlled transmission.
Idk about missing if toyota used some other version of these asin tranny's in that truck that didn't have it. My gen1 tundra had a similar auto as the taco, except no ECT.

Yeah, I just learned ECT was on gen1 and gen3 AT
But gen2 it was passed over for some reason

i so dislike driving automatics
and i always have :confused:
they do not ever work proper as they ought

No complaint with any I've had.....they operate smoother than I could ever shift a manual. Ever consider its just your driving style that you dislike autos. Generally, auto's are not made to be driven sporty, although the gen3 taco has the S modes if you care to.

i so dislike driving automatics
and i always have :confused:
they do not ever work proper as they ought
Personaly I think the 3rd gen Tacoma has the worst operating AT I have ever owned. Shifts too quickly from 1 to 4 on take off, especially irritating when making a turn from a stop. Doesn't like to downshift when I want it to. And slight shudder (feels like in too high of a gear) when cruising anywhere from 45 to 65 mph. I am still dealing with Toyota with mine, but it is sounding like it is normal from what many others online are experiencing. (Yes, I know, some say its the best vehicle they've ever owned). The only option to get shift points correct is for aftermarket tune. Sounds like you have other issues, but just putting my 2 cents in.

Personaly I think the 3rd gen Tacoma has the worst operating AT I have ever owned. Shifts too quickly from 1 to 4 on take off, especially irritating when making a turn from a stop. Doesn't like to downshift when I want it to. And slight shudder (feels like in too high of a gear) when cruising anywhere from 45 to 65 mph. I am still dealing with Toyota with mine, but it is sounding like it is normal from what many others online are experiencing. (Yes, I know, some say its the best vehicle they've ever owned). The only option to get shift points correct is for aftermarket tune. Sounds like you have other issues, but just putting my 2 cents in.

i just heard about this ECT feature for automatics that Gen2 does not have
does your rig have this?
if so do you use it or do not use it?

i just heard about this ECT feature for automatics that Gen2 does not have
does your rig have this?
if so do you use it or do not use it?
Mine does have it. I have heard you should not use it all the time though. Who knows. One person will say one thing and another will say something else. It does change the shift points.

Thats plain weird if thats what you're experiencing on the gen3. It's the best operating auto I've had in toyotas to date. I guess anyone can get a lemon.

Thats plain weird if thats what you're experiencing on the gen3. It's the best operating auto I've had in toyotas to date. I guess anyone can get a lemon.
I am hearing from a lot of people with this same issue. Also a lot of people like you with zero issues. So far it seems as if Toyota is “unaware” of this issue and it drives normal. It is an absolutely known issue. Many many many people have stated that the OTT time has solved the problem. I’m wondering if they all drive the same, some of us are just used to a different feeling AT and some of us (not me) are used to Tacoma style AT.

Idk what a taco auto is suppose to feel like being my first one. I have had several toyota autos in smaller 4x4 pickups in the past that reminded me of a hydrostatic transmission. I thought my gen1 tundra was very good, being like any gm auto tranny I drove. The gen3 auto in my 2020 is by far the nicest. It's buttery smooth, and spot on when it up, or downshifts....like a mercedes I've ridden in.

Idk what a taco auto is suppose to feel like being my first one. I have had several toyota autos in smaller 4x4 pickups in the past that reminded me of a hydrostatic transmission. I thought my gen1 tundra was very good, being like any gm auto tranny I drove. The gen3 auto in my 2020 is by far the nicest. It's buttery smooth, and spot on when it up, or downshifts....like a mercedes I've ridden in.
I dont know either but I do know that my only options are to leave it as is or try the OTT tune which I am probably going to try the OTT tune.

Sounds more like you have a faulty transmission that its not learning your driving habits, or its got a bad torque converter the dealer, or toyota is saying its normal.
My 2020 auto learned my habits, and road conditions I mostly operate the truck on within 1500 miles while using the D mode only, but I started out with a fresh truck having no miles on it by anyone else.

Back