Plastidip

I don't see how Dippin stuff is that bad. I mean I would never dip wheels or a large area of my truck, but I think it is perfect for blacking out badges if you want them black

Sure sounds that way. People seem to paint EVERYTHING with it too. Only set of wheels i ever painted (stocks on my 3 just to try it wasnt using them), i used aircraft stripper then primed and painted. The right way last I knew.

I am glad someone gets around these forums.

My g/f was truck painter everytime she hear someone plasti she pulls out

facepalm.gif

Last edited:
I don't see how Dippin stuff is that bad. I mean I would never dip wheels or a large area of my truck, but I think it is perfect for blacking out badges if you want them black

Maybe for stuff like that but thats about it I would think. Im no expert on this stuff but i def wouldnt do anything more than that. No wheels or anything obv.

I remember one guy asking how to make Plastiderp more durable because it kept rubbing off his interior. I answered with these 3 words:

Use...Real...Paint.

I'll use it as a rubber for all that sex I don't have. I'll derp my junk making sure I leave a resi tip and peel it off when I'm done. It will get the hair off too.:D

I derped my emblems months ago but that's it. Real paint everywhere else. Still holding up and looks decent. I wouldn't use it on anything else truck wise.

I was skeptical of the product but I was surprisingly pleased with the result. I looks great, works well I've had it driving around the past thunderstorms and some rough roads and its held up great. I respect everyone's view and some go for more permanent things but I see these rims lasting years the way it's going. Low price great look great results. What rim paint job can u get with $40 this good?

I for one think plastidip is a functional way to customize your ride. I've seen enough success with this product to use it myself. I want to dip my emblems and possibly the lower valance. I'm also going to try it on my rims was well, for $30 its not a bad deal. If done the right way, it works very well.
DipYourCar.com has kits for anything your might be doing on your car. The wheel kits are very cheap, plus they have a repair kit to help fix scratches and tears.

As for the plastidip smoke, yes you can use it to tint taillights. The product is not as thick as a matte black plastidip, so its much more forgiving when layering it on. Its engineered to be an opaque spray so your lights will be visible. Before doing any of this, watch the DipYourCar.com videos on YouTube to see how its done.

Yeah I've watched a lot of those dipyourcar YouTube videos. That's how I found out about plastidip

Plastiderp doesn't let light through. Use VHT Niteshade for smoking.

I second this i used night shade on 2 of my trucks cheap and great results just take your time remember your first coat will determine how the last coat looks look in my album I have pictures of my tail lights

I for one think plastidip is a functional way to customize your ride. I've seen enough success with this product to use it myself. I want to dip my emblems and possibly the lower valance. I'm also going to try it on my rims was well, for $30 its not a bad deal. If done the right way, it works very well.
DipYourCar.com has kits for anything your might be doing on your car. The wheel kits are very cheap, plus they have a repair kit to help fix scratches and tears.

As for the plastidip smoke, yes you can use it to tint taillights. The product is not as thick as a matte black plastidip, so its much more forgiving when layering it on. Its engineered to be an opaque spray so your lights will be visible. Before doing any of this, watch the DipYourCar.com videos on YouTube to see how its done.

If you plan to do simple small projects like rims and emblems I would suggest buying the cans at your local Home Depot, it's cheaper by a dollar or so and no shipping fees. And if done correctly you can get great results. I had my friend do it because he's skilled at these things and is good at creating all even good layers. And in regards to the tint, I have seen a bottle made for tinting products like headlights and tail lights but haven't researched that exact product.

I debadged my truck and tried plastidip'ing them... Stuff didn't really seem to hold very well, so than I took one, scuffed it all up, and it stillllll didn't hold very well...i mean it was on there don't get me wrong... but it didnt take much to peel it off...so I can't say I'm all too impressed with the stuff, I don't wanna slap a black badge on my truck just to see it turn back to the chrome after 5 washes... Anyone do anything unique to their badges before dippin' that I maybe over looked?

I debadged my truck and tried plastidip'ing them... Stuff didn't really seem to hold very well, so than I took one, scuffed it all up, and it stillllll didn't hold very well...i mean it was on there don't get me wrong... but it didnt take much to peel it off...so I can't say I'm all too impressed with the stuff, I don't wanna slap a black badge on my truck just to see it turn back to the chrome after 5 washes... Anyone do anything unique to their badges before dippin' that I maybe over looked?

I did 4 coats per emblem with 1 hr dry time between coats. Also washed the emblem with rubbing alcohol. Look fine to this day after numerous car washes using power-hose, thunderstorms, sun and a couple of snowstorms. I also sprayed them on the truck.

Attachments

• S1050323.jpg
    S1050323.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 73
  • S1050322.jpg
    S1050322.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 75
I did 4 coats per emblem with 1 hr dry time between coats. Also washed the emblem with rubbing alcohol. Look fine to this day after numerous car washes using power-hose, thunderstorms, sun and a couple of snowstorms. I also sprayed them on the truck.

Yeaa ive seen it all over with nice results, I just figured if it peels right off how well could it really hold? thanks for the info though...Maybe ill give it another shot...is your entire badge coated? Or like just the "face" of it done...It looked like the outside edges were the chrome still in that one pic.. Does it seem to get more durable after a curing time? I did about 4-5 coats, went to lightly scuff it a day later and do one more and it just rolled off...so that's why Im a little reserved about using it..

I've done my stock off road rims and the front toyota emblem. I think it looks good and a cheap way to murder out my truck so I can save for some nice rims.

Back