Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by ScreaminYoda, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ScreaminYoda

ScreaminYoda Active Member

Toyota Pre collision braking system had randomly told me to brake with nobody in front of me? Anyone had this happen?

2018 sr5
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I’m sure this type of thing will happen with the 2018-2019’s until they get it worked out. I’d tell the dealer and call corporate. They’ll want to know.
    ScreaminYoda and Bogunn like this.
  4. AbsurdBuffalo

AbsurdBuffalo Well-Known Member

Nature of the beast with these systems. Hasn't happened in my Tacoma yet, but in my second car, if I catch a shadow just right or a leaf blowing around just right, it'll set the system off
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Seems like that could be pretty dangerous in the right circumstances.
    tacoinmyfuture likes this.
  6. AbsurdBuffalo

If it were an auto-braking system, sure. But the system in the Tacoma is passive. Only displays a warning to brake. (at least, the few times mine went off, that's all it did.

Interestingly though, the system in my other car, which is also only passive, does seem to 'prime' the ABS system when it goes off. You can feel the brake pedal vibrate slightly right when the alarm goes off. Not sure if the Tacoma does that yet.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Reading up on it a little it looks like the Pre-Collision/Pedestrian Detect will brake for you if you don’t respond.
  8. AbsurdBuffalo

Interesting. So there must be a delay in the time braking starts from when the alarm went off. Mine has gone off a couple times, but it never auto-braked on me. Maybe that delay is what determines a real 'threat' from a glitch? It assumes that if it's a legit car stopping in front of you, the signal return from that object will remain longer than a bad shadow or leaf?
  9. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

It sounds like it gives you time to respond. And if you don’t respond enough or at all it will apply the brakes. IMG_1564.JPG
  10. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member