Sputtering at 50-60 mph

I specifically requested my taco be made in texas when I ordered the truck. After working with many mexican manufactured products, I just don't have a lot of faith all their stuff is built 100% well, let alone 90% of it. Their employee's work as hard, or harder than anyone imo, but the quality can be iffy.

Well just had it towed back to the dealer. Leaking ATF from the bolt he removed to check ATF level. Didn’t replace the crush washer. They are going to keep it and try to get the Toyota field rep out there this week. At this point I don’t even want the truck back. I’ve never regretted buying a vehicle. Very disappointed in Toyota right now.

Last edited:
Surprised that original crush washer is leaking. I've never had to replace them in my tundra when changing the transmission, or other gear oils.

All of the instructions I’ve seen for checking ATF levels say to replace crush washer. Not sure how else fluid would come out of the check.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Are you sure they even put the old crush washer back on?
No not really. It is possible. It could have fallen off while he was holding the bolt. He took the bolt out, we stood there and watched the fluid drip out, he put the bolt back in.

I know when I did my tundras fluid, many times the crush washer would stick to the transmission, or other components that I was changing the gear oil in...then fall into the drain pan unnoticed by me. I had to go fishing around in that stuff by hand to locate the crush washer. I never bought new ones.

This performance problem with these gen3 tacos has been reported by quite a few owners, yet it seems still unresolved why some trucks run great while others not so much. I know a tech at a dealer here, and even he hasn't got an answer. Guys complain about it, yet after the truck is evaluated they say it's normal. Where's toyota god when you need him?

did you get a resolution on this yet, JDubTaco?
It is still at the dealership. Haven't heard anything. Last I heard still waiting on the Toyota field tech to check it out. The dealer did say they drained and replaced the ATF and put a new crush washer on. So the leak should be fixed. On some FB group there are several people saying they have the same issues.

This performance problem with these gen3 tacos has been reported by quite a few owners, yet it seems still unresolved why some trucks run great while others not so much. I know a tech at a dealer here, and even he hasn't got an answer. Guys complain about it, yet after the truck is evaluated they say it's normal. Where's toyota god when you need him?
That is the issue I am finding.
So far this is what I have heard from others:
1. It’s normal
2. Mine doesn’t do that
3. It’s not normal
4. After market tune fixed it
5. After market tune made it better, not fixed
6. Quit crying
7. It’s a truck not a sports car

The biggest problem to me are the ones that claim it’s normal and ignore it. Maybe Toyota doesn’t realize it is as big of an issue as it is. If everyone with the issue would do what I’m doing maybe they would come up with a fix. From my research, that is what Toyota did with (I believe it was the 2017’s-2020’s) they put out aTSB that fixed it for those years.

My window sticker says :
Final Assembly Point: Baja Calif, Mexico
Same as I've heard from another gen3 taco owner here. I can't say about vehicles made there, but i've worked on a lot of less than stellar items that were made in mexico.
Right now my truck is a joy to drive every time I get into it. It's similar to my gen1 tundra, except a more taunt ride, and more power on top. You lightly touch the go pedal, and your off with buttery smooth performance. Best truck owned so far.
Incidentally, I use to hear the same 7 plus complaints on tw with those crybabies. As far as that tsb, idk if it was applied to tacos older than the 2019's. I can tell you mine was done before I took delivery at this time in 2020. When I drove the 160 mile ride back home from the dealer, I kept wondering what a turd I had just bought. After 1200 miles, or so, it all starting changing for the better. These transmissions need to learn your driving habits, and road conditions. I was really shocked how much better the entire truck got, when I think about it back then.

Last edited:
Yeah, inquiring minds must know.
Just got a call from dealer. Toyota told me on phone last night they were still waiting on the field rep. Dealer just told me they ran all the tests Toyota has told them to run and reported the results. Toyota said nothing is wrong with the truck. The dealer is not very happy about it because he knows the truck is not driving right and he knows it is a valid complaint he has seen several times but Toyota will not do anything about it. He is going to reflash/reset learn values just because he wants to do all he can. He even explained to them, like I did, that we test drive another one that drove normal. So anyway, gonna start talking with the OTT tuner guy for my area. Not sure what else I can do because it is just terrible to drive. Hopefully next update will be that OTT fixed my issue and truck is perfect now.

I think at this point the existing transmission's info thats stored in the ecu has to be cleared/deleted, or erased in some way, then like mentioned re-flash the latest tsb in it, and start over as having a new truck needing to learn your driving habits again. Idk if this really works or not....haven't heard of any results of anyone thats done it....you'll have to let us know. I can tell you...the manufactures latest tsb tune works very well. No need for any aftermarket stuff.

Saw someone else mention this elsewhere, but there was no discussion on it so I figured I'd mention it here. If I am driving along at 50mph and then increase speed slowly as to not drop a gear the truck seems to sputter. Ive only noticed it from 50-60mph. I'm thinking it's normal and this may be part of what some people complain about and that the OTT tune fixes. My truck is a 2023 TRD Off-Road V6 about 7000 miles.
Having the same issue with my 23 TRD Sport. The OTT tune didn’t fix problem. Did you end up finding a fix for the problem?

Back