Things I DON’T like about my Tacoma

Added 91 octane and I can’t see any difference.

giphy.gif

Sport mode engaged. See? I’m typing with regular type but the commander is sending more voltage so the letters come out bigger.

THIS IS RACE MODE BUT I CAN ONLY USE IT FOR A LITTLE BIT BEFORE THE UNIT OVERHEATS. See it overheated and defaulted to sport mode.

That’s an awesome explanation of the keyboard commander. Literally laughing out loud. Good one.

The PC is a signal amplifier. Nothing else beyond that. There is no feedback from the throttle body or ECU to it so all it sees is how much voltage is getting by and it amplifies that signal to open the throttle body more and to tell the ECU that the pedal is depressed more than you are actually pressing because a difference would throw a CEL.

You push 25% and it tells the ECU and throttle body you are pushing 35%.
I asked the mechanic at toyota last week about the pedal commander and he told me not to do it on the 3rd gen. I don't know if they all are trained to say it or if it has a possibly negative effect with the electronics. And For me, I'm out!

Back to the topic of this thread.... The biggest issue I have had is the constant gear searching at highway speeds compounded with the use of the cruise control. I have given up using the cruise control when traveling between Oklahoma City and Tulsa. It would top most hills in 4th at well over 3,000 rpm. Gas mileage was horrible. Then the lack of power to pull a 19 ft travel trailer weighing 3100 pounds. At 65 mph it pulls mostly in 4 th and gears down to 3 rd on the slightest incline at over 4,000 rpm. I am dreading the 1800 mile trip we are going to take in March. So much so that I am going to sell the trailer when we return.
I have LED bulbs in the interior and still can’t see. Need more lights
The standard speakers were inferior. I installed Infinity speakers in the doors and the Subaru plug and play in the dash. Much improved.
Toyota needs to offer leather as an option in the TRD. Mine is a 2017. Maybe they did that in the 2018. Also power seats.
I have heard so many good things about the Tacoma. I have owned a 1976 Hi Lux, a 1977 Celica, a 1982 Celica, and later an Avalon. Couldn’t wait to get back to Toyota quality. After driving the turnpike and towing, I attempted to trade it for a GMC Canyon. Same dealer offered $11,700 less than the MSRP. So much for resale value.
I still have the TRD and it is growing on me. So glad I didn’t make that trade.

Why am I expected to just let my gas cap dangle hopelessly by it’s plastic tether string thing, rather than a neat little receiver to hold it on the inside of the door while refueling?

I’ve wondered why they didn’t add that. I stretch mine and hang it in the door latch. It actually works pretty good.

Why am I expected to just let my gas cap dangle hopelessly by it’s plastic tether string thing, rather than a neat little receiver to hold it on the inside of the door while refueling?
There really should be little hook on the gas door to hook the tether to. I don’t have to worry about it because I swapped mine out with the stant locking cap. I just set mine on the top of the tonneau cover/bed rail now.

Back