Zero W Thirty

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by silverT, Nov 18, 2017.

1. silverT

silverT Well-Known Member

Yes Mobil one makes a 0 W 30 But I use 5 W 30 synthetic , i'm at the 233,000 miles mark My Taco does not burn oil - I change once every 5000 miles .
    99% I drive it like a baby , once in a wile I will Zonk it .
    even at 5000 miles oil looks nice . Since I am having great luck with 5 W 30 & I have high miles
    Do you think I'm pushing my luck to try the 0 W 30 in winter
    Winter temps around here 30 to -15 when the cold fronts come they stay a few months.
    5 W 30 synthetic has no issues in the cold But i'm tempted to try 0w30 they say better MPG
    But I am concerned to mess with a good thing,the 5 w 30

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Don’t change. Keep doing what works. That’s my nickel.

4. 858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

I do what the Manuel says. 5w-30 works good with me. Although I live in socal and we don't ever have cold weather.

5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I’d stay with the 5w30. Stick with what works. That’s a lot of miles with no problems to go changing things around.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  6. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Stay with 5w30 and what the hell is "zonk" ?? Lol

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  7. OR17TRD

B531710F-1133-417A-ADC4-5C008B6F94BE.jpeg

Bogunn likes this.
  8. OP
    silverT

Seems to be various meanings - But - I meant I Hit the gas peddle
    once in a wile - Not with a stick , My Foot :cool:

kp.taco likes this.
  9. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

ZONK : To press aggressively on petroleum pedal,: To press aggressively on petroleum pedal without prior notification,:Urban dictionary slang ,: "Wow I was zonked." ,: "Hey !, go zonk yourself" ,: "ZONK OFF
    !"

Meh, that's all I got...;)

Crawdad, Bogunn and kp.taco like this.
  10. OR17TRD

Bogunn gets zonk over blonde wigs.

11. kp.taco

Ah zonk it!

Bogunn and 4wd like this.
  12. kp.taco

Yeah I know . Just giving you a hard time

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Don’t hijack another thread with your disturbing wig fetish. And don’t blame me for making a Public Awareness Campaign about mustached men in blonde wigs. People should be aware of the scary things that lurk under that wig.

kp.taco likes this.
  14. OR17TRD

ZONK!!

Bogunn likes this.
  15. OP
    silverT

This Taco has turned out to be the best truck . Takes me to work about 125 miles per week
    then I pick up daughter at work 125 miles each week mon to fri
    Then the weekend I take my kids here there every where ,
    as the miles pile on the kids use the radio that allows paring so they blast music .
    The mileage is as such that I figure the more miles the better . - Now it's the weekend
    I used truck for scrap metal money 30 miles Took daughter to her job 18 miles took kids to wall mart 18 mi pulse 10 mi - then took daughters friend home 12 miles went to pick up daughter 18 mi back home 18 miles thats Today & yesterday was like the same
    You know at this moment I feel Zonked & The Taco is not .............

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    kp.taco, 4wd, Bogunn and 1 other person like this.
  16. OP
    silverT

My view of 0 w 30
    my only concern is motor has miles so it's not as tight as new ( burns no oil feels new )
    It gets cold in the north east so a 0w30 by mid December when it's below zero with highs of 20
    a zero weight should create perfect start up flow and once warmed up you have a 30 weight
    But some how I get back to the concern of the in between moment when oil is cold & motor is warming up
    and you'v got a thin zero weight on the moving parts of an over 200,000 mile motor

Bogunn and 4wd like this.
  17. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

I applaud you,the OP for maintaining focus & resilience while we garbaged up your thread, i apologize for this... & I'm truly glad that your 'yota is turning out to be as awesome as you hoped...

Bogunn and kp.taco like this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I definitely understand your reasoning for thinking of switching to the 0w30. I still would stick with what you’ve done for over 200k miles. How many winters has your truck survived with the 5w30 and no problems? I’d be afraid to mess with a good thing.
    If you do decide to switch it over let us know if you see a difference and what your outcomes are.

4wd likes this.
  19. OP
    silverT

The info I can give you - - .I purchased truck used at the 220,000 range . Now I'm at the 230,000 range My guess is conventional 5w30 had been used .
    Synthetic use , 10,000 miles ?? When I first checked oil level 10,000 miles ago the Cross hatch area on metal dip stick had like a brown burnished finish on metal - - a baked on brownish hue , After 10,000 miles of synthetic 5w30 the brown burnish on dip stick metal is gone , this is what synthetic oil is known for ( Cleaning )
    I am leaning towards 0w30 because the sub zero arctic blast is on it's way ,it's really cold here
    Spring - Summer - Fall - 5w30 is perfect - Mobil One has developed zero weight technology
    before others . They say 0w30 has warranty protection for 5w30 & 10w30
    wile I trust Mobil One I'll let you all know soon enough if I have the guts to experiment

Update : Have a fresh jug of 0w30 for a mid December oil change , after lots of research it's my view a 5w30 & 0w30 will offer same hot engine protection , If your auto is exposed to cold climate the consensus is a zero weight will flow faster thus less wear at startup . If I see a fuel MPG improvement that could Change my attitude of a 0w30 for year round use . Till I use it , I just feel for cold winters it's gonna help engine last longer But once spring come's my old school attitude still feels a 5w30 is the choice .for general use.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Bogunn likes this.
  20. OP
    silverT

I felt this was interesting cause it answers the question - 5w30 convential ability to flow compared to 5w30 synthetic
    wile Amsoil is a top rated oil - all synthetics flow better back to back
    comparisons

Bogunn likes this.
  21. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.