70,000 service interval

something is making a horrific tapping noise on that poor truck!

and i have NO other Gen2 with this engine to compare noises with
i asked them if this is a new noise that just popped up or if its always done this and they have absolute no clue!

See a Toyota dealer mechanic.

I have a feeling this diagnosis and work is beyond your skill level.

If you dive into this, you have a good chance of FUBARing the engine.

yes!
there is a little less than 2k miles to go until the next synthetic oil filter change is due in Topeka
it can wait until then and have the tech take a listen to see if they hear anything odd

Be sure to speak with the Shop Manager about your concern.

The typical oil change tech is usually the most "green" tech in the shop. The oil change tech may not have the experience or skill to make an accurate assessment.

Too long didn't watch all.

Got to the fluid endorsement. Pretty funny. The data to support the endorsement is "Its waaay better..."

Ok.....I'm convinced. Need to go buy many bottles..........

YouTube is so comical.

i was amazed at the 'dirty' condition of that front diff fluid after so very few miles

How many miles would you expect the diff oil to remain 'clean'?

Can you judge the condition of any oil by visual inspections?

Imo, it depends how much gear oil these differentials hold. Usually 30k miles is a good number for changing, if they hold less than 2 qts. I'm alway's amazed how some never change this gear oil. I've seen vehicles with 150k miles, or more with the original oil in them.

Imo, it depends how much gear oil these differentials hold. Usually 30k miles is a good number for changing, if they hold less than 2 qts. I'm alway's amazed how some never change this gear oil. I've seen vehicles with 150k miles, or more with the original oil in them.
Agreed. Just follow the change interval and there won't be surprises.

gen2 just turnt 90k today

are there any special service items in particular that should be looked into right NOW

that pesky MaintReqLight will soon be triggering after 5k miles since crankCase oil was exchanged for fresh 0w20 synthetic

might have an oil burner here :confused: checked the level on the checkStick and it is halfway between the hashes
certainly i had the level to the top hash when i changed it back in early February but cannot readily verify that so who knows!?

rear diff gear oil done about 23k miles ago would be the only thing that could be looked into DIY that i can think of at this very moment

Back