77,777 milestone

The Gen2 5 spd AT is a sealed trans. There is a very specific procedure to check the fill level.

You don't need the $$$ Toyota brand ATF at $18/qt. You need to use ATF Type WS. I'll be using Valvoline ATF Type WS for less than $12/qt. I expect <3 qts will be needed for a drain & fill. Full fluid change interval on the Gen2 5 spd AT is 100,000 miles.
A buddy of mine that operates a family auto garage told me he's had several issues with ws aftermarket atf that were used with drain, and refill methods. Over time they don't mix well, and cause serious issues where the transmission has to be flushed to correct it. Say's never to use anything else, but the toyota ws atf if doing those 4 qt changes.

is the ATF level on checkstick supposed to be checked when idling in park, neutral or drive?

A buddy of mine that operates a family auto garage told me he's had several issues with ws aftermarket atf that were used with drain, and refill methods. Over time they don't mix well, and cause serious issues where the transmission has to be flushed to correct it. Say's never to use anything else, but the toyota ws atf if doing those 4 qt changes.
Interesting claim. Not sure if its true or a perception or a mythconception.

35,xxx miles ago, I did a drain, filter change and fill on my 5 spd AT. Used Valvoline ATF Type WS on refill. Not a single problem in 35,xxx miles.

Perhaps the problem was the use of some cafungabunga brand ATF of the wrong type.

I can attest when I used amsoil dexron III atf in my tundra after doing the 3rd drain, and refill, I had to see a toyota dealer for a complete transmission flush after the transmission became slower, and slower to up, and downshift. The truck ran good for quite awhile before it happened. I never told the dealer I used another brand atf in it.

Last edited:
It's a 4 speed AT, that is all I know at the moment
Perhaps I can run the vin and will find some more deets on which type it is

since the undercovers are still off the '11 i might do a radiator drain and fill and put into it some fresh toyota pink
it was done a year ago at 67k but only got 1 litre out of the system with no hose removal for further drainage so not a total cooling system flush out... dealers want over 200$ for the cooling system exchange flush out
no clue how much pink is in the whole system!

I forget what those bed bolts torque spec is at
Any help!?

edit.... equivalent 60 ft*lbs

Last edited:
looks to me from pic 2 post back that stupid bigass fan shroud gotta be removed to replace serp belt properly, no?

Back