'97 Taco life + times, the chronicles of...

page twelve...
12-22-22

a bit nippy out at -12 + wind in the 20 mphs

1670845911128-png.34689

found this quote from 2yrs ago

600$ + more now to replace LBJs
how do it take skilled tech parts changer 2.4 hours to do that??

front-suspension-quote-1534-bux-cropd-jpg.321932

Last edited:
a bit nippy out at -12 + wind in the 20 mphs

1670845911128-png.34689

found this quote from 2yrs ago

600$ + more now to replace LBJs
how do it take skilled tech parts changer 2.4 hours to do that??

front-suspension-quote-1534-bux-cropd-jpg.321932

If you can do the work quicker, then have at it.

FWIW, the Labor Time is set as a standard. This makes the labor time consistent throughout the USA. The tech is only paid based on the Standard time. If the Tech finishes in less time, then he is $$ ahead. If he takes more time, then he loses pay. Consequently, the techs find many methods to save time to complete the job quickly. This is a benefit to the shop and to the tech. The shop can turn more work and the tech earns more scratch.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the manufacturer of the vehicle sets the Labor time.

The wind here is blowing around 40-50 mph......... 20 mph would be calm. Flags are standing straight out, yard spinners are just a faint image.......drifts are growing longer and deeper. I've seen some house siding skipping down the road....... birds are hovering...... the neighbor's pet rhino lost its hide. So much snow is blowing that it looks like fog. Houses about 200 ft away are faint outlines.......

Most of my life has been in IA, I can not recall severe wind and cold for this length of time or wind chill at these levels. We have -40 to -50F wind chill. WTF!!! This ain't Alaska.............

Next week the forecast is predicting 40F and rain. That should bring some driving fun. Roads are frozen add some melt with rain. We should have an enormous hockey rink to drive on.

If you can do the work quicker, then have at it.

FWIW, the Labor Time is set as a standard. This makes the labor time consistent throughout the USA. The tech is only paid based on the Standard time. If the Tech finishes in less time, then he is $$ ahead. If he takes more time, then he loses pay. Consequently, the techs find many methods to save time to complete the job quickly. This is a benefit to the shop and to the tech. The shop can turn more work and the tech earns more scratch.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the manufacturer of the vehicle sets the Labor time.

The wind here is blowing around 40-50 mph......... 20 mph would be calm. Flags are standing straight out, yard spinners are just a faint image.......drifts are growing longer and deeper. I've seen some house siding skipping down the road....... birds are hovering...... the neighbor's pet rhino lost its hide. So much snow is blowing that it looks like fog. Houses about 200 ft away are faint outlines.......

Most of my life has been in IA, I can not recall severe wind and cold for this length of time or wind chill at these levels. We have -40 to -50F wind chill. WTF!!! This ain't Alaska.............

Next week the forecast is predicting 40F and rain. That should bring some driving fun. Roads are frozen add some melt with rain. We should have an enormous hockey rink to drive on.
well i read at that other place some time ago that the LBJs by an experienced and healthy DIYr on his knees and $hit on these old Tacos should take NO MORE THAN 30 minutes each side using stands squirming around
so I ??? the markup at 2.4 hours to do LBJs for an ASE pro with it all-in-hand

well i read at that other place some time ago that the LBJs by an experienced and healthy DIYr on his knees and $hit on these old Tacos should take NO MORE THAN 30 minutes each side using stands squirming around
so I ??? the markup at 2.4 hours to do LBJs for an ASE pro with it all-in-hand
30 minutes......I'm doubtful. But on the other hand, many claims are made on the internet that are not entirely true.

Shoot, it takes almost 30 minutes to get the truck on jackstands and remove the wheels. Of course, the time depends on when the stopwatch is started.

Thee brake caliper, brake disk, tie rods, sway bars, strut and a host of other stuff to remove the lower control arm. Then a series of tasks to liberate the LBJ from the control arm. I'm sure all the bolts and nuts will spin off without any resistance. Then all this needs to be reversed for assembly.

4 bolts to knuckle
Castle nut to LCA
Castle nut to tierod end
I can see it being done with powered handy tools to zip right off there
Nothing else needs removed or out of way afaik

You should remove the wheel, place truck on jack stands, remove the strut......

Once the LCA is off, then you need a press and other equipment to remove the Lower Ball Joint.

NO way is this a 30 minute task.

But assuming you start the stopwatch at the point of removing the joint from the control arm, then I could possibly agree with the 30 minute time.

To begin, raise the truck, remove wheel, remove strut, remove LCA, remove LBJ, replace LBJ, install LCA, install strut, install wheel, remove jack stands, front end alignment............doubtful.

Believe as you wish.

? are you referring to how it is done on the Gen2 LBJ
why do you need to remove strut to get at this?

To remove the LCA on the Gen2, the strut must be disconnected at least.

On the Gen1, where is the lower end of the strut attached???

Even if the struct does not need to be disconnected, 30 minutes just isn't likely.

Believe or not. Your choice.

wasn't this about LBJ?
how did the LCA and strut get thrown into this mess?

omg.......
The LBJ is attached to the LCA as a pressed assembly.
The LCA needs to be removed to press the LBJ out of the LCA.
To remove the LCA, the strut must be disconnected.

Granted the 1st Gen may have a different assembly. But I still have serious doubts if the work can be completed in 30 minutes.
As I stated before. It will take nearly 30 minutes to place the truck on jackstands and remove the wheels. On the other hand, if you begin the timer when most of the pre-work is done, then sure you could fudge the time to 30 minutes.

I mean I can swim a 100 m backstroke in 15 seconds,......assuming you begin the timer after I've made 80 m.

Perhaps the PNW guy that claimed 30 minutes per side does not account for elevating and wheel removal reinstall?
And I forget if he uses a pitman on the castle nuts or just a sledge hammer to pop em

happy Christmas ... got sum snow for this year and cold single digits

1670845911128-png.34689

9000v

the new forced shell reWard APP totally SUX

Shell reWards - Dezember 2o22 croppD -- new APP SUX bad so bad.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
27-Dec-2o22

gittin in for some maintenance today on the dried salt-laden roads
its been a whoppin' 16 months since last on 27-Aug-2o21
1670845911128-png.34689

new sparky plugs in...
this is the last 3 intervals i have had them replaced at TT

281871 ~ 27-Dez-2o22
197793 ~ 27-May-2o21
131319 ~ 31-Okt-2o19

Last edited:
Ummmm.......not here. We have a good amount of snow and ice.

Prolly be gone in the next day or two.

Ummmm.......not here. We have a good amount of snow and ice.

Prolly be gone in the next day or two.
i don't think i shoveled more than 2 inches of compacted snow and melted ice off the pavement and street curb
Slight chance of a rain shower this afternoon and perhaps turn to snow this evening, not much accumulation expected
40s highs

good thing located west of Des Moines on the river border
the storms usually starts here and gets WORSE moving east

Back