a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

Cartels and gangs really like the 1st Gen Tacomas. They don't care who owns it or the plates on it. Especially like the ones from north of the border.

Lots of compartments to stash shipments.
Would I at least make it to Mexico City screaming no habla Espanol! No habla Espanol!!

They don't know that...your still a gingo to them.
Btw, try crawling around one of those cartel members tacoma's and try to explain what your only doing, is taking pictures.

is it time for new brakes?
they are really feeling squishy and harder to stop
they do have 'mega' miles since the front pads were replaced
perhaps the recent mountainous driving burnt them or something?
definitely hope its not that brake booster cylinder thats shot :oops:
the tires are also needing replaced as soon as i can get to that, that might have an effect as well IDK
less than 9k to hit that 1/3rd million...

A vehicle as old as yours, likely needs new brake fluid, and new lines that connect from the steel ones to the calipers for starters. Even at that age the brake master cylinder/booster can get defective needing replacement. Pads, calipers, rear brake cylinders, and shoes all need to be inspected, or replaced. All these parts are subject to normal wear, and age. They are a major safety system in the truck. Its another reason a 25 year old truck can be a money pit.

But there is relatively new brake fluid...
Perhaps a couple years. it's barely browning!

Why was I thinking new or remand front disk calipers were several hundred dollars each??

If you pull the rear tires, and drums, you can check the brake cylinders if leaking, but you have already claimed no loss of fluid...same for inspecting the calipers on the front. Check your brake pads, and rear shoes for excessive wear while you're there.

Got an appointment setup at a local brakesplus shop tomorrow
They, unlike the dealer, will do a complete and no charge thorough inspection, even pulling the drums if they can... The last yota dealer tech last year was not able to pull the drums and said that he tried EVERYTHING... Wot a lying sacka sheet

The brakesplus guy said it perhaps is axle grease leaking into the drums

I've never been to this shop so I must remain positive after the many numerous hackshops I've been to in the past few years for maintenance and upkeep

Drums are simple to pull...1st you back off the shoe star adjuster using a spoon, or similar tool like a thin wide screwdriver end, thats accessed through the backing plate which has a slot covered by a rubber plug. After that you have a couple threaded holes in the face of the drum for a couple metric bolts to thread in till they hit the axle flange behind it. Keeping threading in those bolts till the drums pop off. Takes a whole several minutes.

Drums are simple to pull...1st you back off the shoe star adjuster using a spoon, or similar tool like a thin wide screwdriver end, thats accessed through the backing plate which has a slot covered by a rubber plug. After that you have a couple threaded holes in the face of the drum for a couple metric bolts to thread in till they hit the axle flange behind it. Keeping threading in those bolts till the drums pop off. Takes a whole several minutes.
The yota dealer tech did not even touch those two spots I found afterwards

I used a rubber mallet with the screws last year

Back