a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

a fresh tank of juice a day keeps the tacoDR away
less than a month left on the 50c off per G at BP/Amoco
12th fillUP so far, this one in Missouri east of KC

IMG_8625.JPG

Take a compression test of all the cylinders, and see what they read, opposed to what they should.

could it be the 85 octane fuel they have out west that contributed to struggling in 5th gear up the elevations
along with the thinner atmosphere
i tried the most massive grades that are local in Iowa and Missouri this weekend and did not have the same issues of puttering out in 5th gear with 87 octane and much less elevation

They use 85 usually in high elevation states like Colorado where the air is thinner. It's the same as using 87 here, or elsewhere. Imo, if your engine was designed to run 87, thats what you use. A higher octane will not make it run any better unless you have an engine designed with variable valve timing, and variable electronic ignition timing, and even then it might not be all that noticeable.
Sounds more to me like your engine is tired, which is very common for that mileage .

it only happened in 5th gear though, 4th gear i was able to accelerate up the mountains
and i do not have relative experience at those kind of elevations to compare from 20+ years ago to the current day to analyze
but i will inquire about that compression test next time the spark plugs need to be swapped for new, if only out of curiousity lol

They use 85 usually in high elevation states like Colorado where the air is thinner. It's the same as using 87 here, or elsewhere. Imo, if your engine was designed to run 87, thats what you use. A higher octane will not make it run any better unless you have an engine designed with variable valve timing, and variable electronic ignition timing, and even then it might not be all that noticeable.
Sounds more to me like your engine is tired, which is very common for that mileage .
Dirty Fuel filter perhaps?
It's been on for roughly 100k miles and a yota oem was not put on then

I only changed the fuel once at a little over 100k miles on my tundra. I sawed it open to see how bad it was...it only had a few specs in it. I replaced with an aftermarket that looked similar in size, and mounting in its frame rail. Never replaced it again. I assume these gas pumps have really good filters that were getting good clean fuel pumped into our vehicles.

could it be the 85 octane fuel they have out west that contributed to struggling in 5th gear up the elevations
along with the thinner atmosphere
i tried the most massive grades that are local in Iowa and Missouri this weekend and did not have the same issues of puttering out in 5th gear with 87 octane and much less elevation
It's the altitude.

You want to pull the fuse's for the fuel pump, and efi. Never rely on the throttle body position sensor.

Fouled plugs?
I pulled the specs for the denso brand used and it states longevity of 30k miles
Which is odd coz I've got 45k on those buggards now

Ignition coils going bad?
Those are original still
Just picked up 3 new today at a significant cost but nowhere as bad as the MSRP asking for those zingers

Manufacturer recommended services at 330,000 Miles​

DRAIN & REFILL​

• Drive Axle Assembly
  • Engine Oil
  • Transfer Case Fluid
  • Transmission Fluid

DRAIN, FLUSH & REFILL​

• Engine Coolant System

INSPECT​

• Accessory Drive Belt
  • Axle Shaft Oil Seal
  • Brake System