Critters place

We had very high winds and fast falling temperatures last night. This morning's dog outing was with a -8F windchill.

I noticed the bird bath has a frozen wave.

Good thing we have numerous wind farms in IA. Least we a getting electricity from this weather.

We had very high winds and fast falling temperatures last night. This morning's dog outing was with a -8F windchill.

I noticed the bird bath has a frozen wave.

Good thing we have numerous wind farms in IA. Least we a getting electricity from this weather.
Don't those blades ice up on the farms?
It happened in Texas I heard and they had major blackouts and people dying of the cold a couple few back

They may ice during freezing rain. Although, in this area the blades are equipped with de-icing functions, much like airplane wings.

Yes, TX had major power issues a few years ago brought on by a storm. I recall many downed power lines due to ice build up. Didn't hear anything about wind turbine blades failing due to ice.

They may ice during freezing rain. Although, in this area the blades are equipped with de-icing functions, much like airplane wings.

Yes, TX had major power issues a few years ago brought on by a storm. I recall many downed power lines due to ice build up. Didn't hear anything about wind turbine blades failing due to ice.
It looks debatable perhaps
https://www.google.com/search?q=tex...id-elink&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

A case of... Believe one side and don't believe the other side
LOL

I had no clue a natural gas line can freeze up, which one of those scans blamed it on

Hmmmm.......seems fishy to me. Natural gas has to be extremely cold to change from vapor to liquid to solid. Typically, coupled with high pressure to liquify. Can't fathom a use for natural gas in a solid form................. Natural gase is cooled to -160 C to liquify. I seriously doubt TX got that cold to freeze a nat gas line.

More like some control valve became iced and couldn't actuate.

Articles like the one cited make readers believe the majority of the power comes from wind. The majority of electricity is generated by burning coal or Natural Gas. Yes, some percentage comes from Nuc, Hydro, Wind and Solar.

One must remember, many articles on the internet are partial truth or fabrications to mis lead.

Always question. Or ask.....Does this claim make sense?

This mornings taco cold crank took a bit of effort but still fired up good 2 go
Battry maybe on it's last legs :eek:

Hmmmm.......seems fishy to me. Natural gas has to be extremely cold to change from vapor to liquid to solid. Typically, coupled with high pressure to liquify. Can't fathom a use for natural gas in a solid form................. Natural gase is cooled to -160 C to liquify. I seriously doubt TX got that cold to freeze a nat gas line.

More like some control valve became iced and couldn't actuate.

Articles like the one cited make readers believe the majority of the power comes from wind. The majority of electricity is generated by burning coal or Natural Gas. Yes, some percentage comes from Nuc, Hydro, Wind and Solar.

One must remember, many articles on the internet are partial truth or fabrications to mis lead.

Always question. Or ask.....Does this claim make sense?

How would a control valve be a fossil fuel issue?
Which the green party laid claim to in one of those scans

Control valve on the pipeline....................

The actuators outside the valve on the pipeline could "freeze" with water/snow/ice.....to prevent movement.

Control valve on the pipeline....................

The actuators outside the valve on the pipeline could "freeze" with water/snow/ice.....to prevent movement.
And that is a fossil fuel issue?

If the valve is in the closed position, it will prevent flow of the fossil fuel in the pipeline.

So, the media could paint this as a fossil fuel issue.

Back