How often do you park beside another Tacoma….

Did you take a peek underneath it all
See how bad the northwest rust gets for real?
I can already tell from rear bumper and those front plate bolts
I sure did and yes there's some underneath but not as bad as my sons Tacoma he bought last month in New Jersey by way of Boston. I also sneaked a peek inside the cab. Couldn't see the odometer but it was an automatic for sure.

Ok this one's crazy. So today I stop by Wendy's on my way home for a 99¢ Frosty when I spot this well-traveled gen1 with the vertical bars grill parked in front of Starbucks. Definately a working mans truck with the camper shell and ladder rack. But he has license plates from the state of Maine ! That's a 31 hour drive or 2,085 miles to Corinth, Texas. I guess there's not enough work up North so he's looking for some down here in Texas. Wow….
Definitely see a little rust on that rear bumper! Overall a good looking 1st gen though!

Making my rounds today and pulled up beside this pretty, pretty, Barcelona Red gen2 extended cab. Cool white letter street tires with chrome running boards, chrome bumper, chrome grill, chrome mirror, and a chrome diamond plated tool box. That's what I'm talking about….

Attachments

• image0 copy.jpeg
    image0 copy.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
So after I got my fish sandwich from Arby's today the wife asked me to pick up some gummy bears at Kroger and I spot another gen2. All black, steel wheels, minimal badging so I'd say it's an SR and it's in great shape. Probley an avid golfer judging by his decals on the rear window….

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
So I know this picture doesn't meet the criteria of this thread but ya gotta see this ! We just got back from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin islands by way of Carinval Cruise Lines. We signed up for one of those shore excursions and I spotted a local lady (transplant from the New England states) with an unbelievable gen1 1999 Tacoma 6-cyl, regular cab, longbed, 4WD, manuel hubs, manuel windows, manuel locks, and AM-FM radio. The gal said I could take it for a quick spin and wow, it took me back to yester-year. 131,000 miles and considering the salty air, it was in pretty good shape. Freaking awesome. I saw a ton of Tacomas that I will be posting on the "Tacoma Paparazzi" thread.

Attachments

• image0-2 copy.jpeg
    image0-2 copy.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
So I know this picture doesn't meet the criteria of this thread but ya gotta see this ! We just got back from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin islands by way of Carinval Cruise Lines. We signed up for one of those shore excursions and I spotted a local lady (transplant from the New England states) with an unbelievable gen1 1999 Tacoma 6-cyl, regular cab, longbed, 4WD, manuel hubs, manuel windows, manuel locks, and AM-FM radio. The gal said I could take it for a quick spin and wow, it took me back to yester-year. 131,000 miles and considering the salty air, it was in pretty good shape. Freaking awesome. I saw a ton of Tacomas that I will be posting on the "Tacoma Paparazzi" thread.
Nice lookin' 1st gen!

Was getting ready to leave Walmart today (yes, another booze run for the wife), and a gen2 pulls up beside me in an unbelievable sweet 2002 SR5 extended cab, 5-speed manuel. He says "love the color of your pickup." I say back to him," Love that gold color of yours." He said he bought it brand new, paid for the lift kit and rims, did the scheduled maintenance, replaced the clutch just one time for eight hundred and fifty bucks, and it's his daily driver. I couldn't believe it. And then I asked him, how many miles on the odometer ? He says 351,000 all original. And then he walked away like it was no big deal. Ya gotta love Texans. :)

Attachments

• image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Was getting ready to leave Walmart today (yes, another booze run for the wife), and a gen2 pulls up beside me in an unbelievable sweet 2002 SR5 extended cab, 5-speed manuel. He says "love the color of your pickup." I say back to him," Love that gold color of yours." He said he bought it brand new, paid for the lift kit and rims, did the scheduled maintenance, replaced the clutch just one time for eight hundred and fifty bucks, and it's his daily driver. I couldn't believe it. And then I asked him, how many miles on the odometer ? He says 351,000 all original. And then he walked away like it was no big deal. Ya gotta love Texans. :)
Yup that's us Texans! Lol!

I have changed my perspective on parking. I still typically park away from the mob.

I don't mind if another Tacoma parks next to me. Although, I will take minor notice then check how close they encroached on my truck. If too close, then I will examine my truck for damage.

And soon gen2 taco will also no longer exist?
How long is "soon"?

I know of several Gen2 with minor (or none) body cancer. Prolly have 100 kmiles or more. Many Gen2 have had frames replaced on the recall. These are still out running strong as daily drivers in the salted midwest winter roads...............

My truck is one of the older Gen2 (2006). You've seen pics of it. The frame on my truck was replaced in 2018 by the previous owner.

I'd expect the Gen2s to be around for quite some time. Sure there is attrition by accidents, expensive repairs, worn out, extreme weather (tornados, floods....).........and a whole sundry list of other reasons.

How long is "soon"?

I know of several Gen2 with minor (or none) body cancer. Prolly have 100 kmiles or more. Many Gen2 have had frames replaced on the recall. These are still out running strong as daily drivers in the salted midwest winter roads...............

My truck is one of the older Gen2 (2006). You've seen pics of it. The frame on my truck was replaced in 2018 by the previous owner.

I'd expect the Gen2s to be around for quite some time. Sure there is attrition by accidents, expensive repairs, worn out, extreme weather (tornados, floods....).........and a whole sundry list of other reasons.
10 years in some parts of the east??

I have changed my perspective on parking. I still typically park away from the mob.

I don't mind if another Tacoma parks next to me. Although, I will take minor notice then check how close they encroached on my truck. If too close, then I will examine my truck for damage.
Protected by Viper! Stand back!!

Back