How often do you park beside another Tacoma….

I've been wondering what were the pre '95 Tacomas called? Were they just called Toyota trucks or what? I just never used to pay much attention to them back then is why I'm asking. I sure notice them now though!

I've been wondering what were the pre '95 Tacomas called? Were they just called Toyota trucks or what? I just never used to pay much attention to them back then is why I'm asking. I sure notice them now though!
That's a very interesting question TacoMan and I can tell you from firsthand experience the 1990 & 1993 I had years ago specifically stated on the titles "Toyota Pickup Truck". And we all know in 1995 Toyota renamed their "pickup truck" to Tacoma. ;)

Now you got me thinking about a whole nother thread…..

That's a very interesting question TacoMan and I can tell you from firsthand experience the 1990 & 1993 I had years ago specifically stated on the titles "Toyota Pickup Truck". And we all know in 1995 Toyota renamed their "pickup truck" to Tacoma. ;)

Hmmm.....that's interesting! According to tacojoel they were called Toyota compact pickup, I figured he would know because it sounds like he's owned Toyota trucks since back in the '70s!

I don't know because all the trucks I had before this were Fords with the exception of the Chevy S10 I had which turned out to be a pos! I'm 46 so I remember the Toyota trucks from back in the day just never paid much attention to them! It seems to me that the majority of them had a manual transmission and were 4wd but idk!

I think when Toyota decided to build an all American made small pickup truck they named it after the city of tacoma Washington.

I think when Toyota decided to build an all American made small pickup truck they named it after the city of tacoma Washington.
Yeah I've thought about that myself! Don't know why they would pick Tacoma, Washington though. It does sound feasible though.

Get one of those Texas Edition badges for a Silverado and put it on my Taco! Hmmmmm...........Could probavly get them off Amazon or something!

Get one of those Texas Edition badges for a Silverado and put it on my Taco! Hmmmmm...........Could probavly get them off Amazon or something!
I already tried trust me. I suppose you would have to go directly to the dealership that has those badges (and yes there are a few Texas Toyota dealerships and buy one from them….They are so freaking cool.

I already tried trust me. I suppose you would have to go directly to the dealership that has those badges (and yes there are a few Texas Toyota dealerships and buy one from them….They are so freaking cool.
Wow! I actually meant that as a joke more or less! Now that gives me an idea I may have to try! Maybe Cowboy Toyota has them! How do you install it on your truck?

I'm not sure. It's a metal badge (plastic actually I shouldn't kid myself) that is probley 3m tape. I would seriously put one on the front doors or the tailgate.

I've been there, but not with the truck
It is on the bucket list
Long drive to Seattle. I did it once in 2 days about 1900 miles iirc
While I was there I wanted to also drive to Alaska and back but it was another 1900 miles from Seattle to one of the big Alaska cities
I had to pass on that

Last edited:
Back