? is the center-support (carrier) bearing the source of the current taco ills + vibes

Is that a video of your truck???? Or some random thing you found on Youtube that might be related to your situation?

FWIW, your truck has so many possible sources for vibrations and bad sounds.......its difficult to pinpoint a single source. Most likely, you have multiple sources ranging from suspension, clutch, trans, prop shaft........tires may play a part too.

its Toyota uTube maintenance channel with Petr from California

tires are definitely weathered and on the todo list for replacement after 125k miles

i am able to push up and jiggle on the center support like Petr in the video but its not to that extreme yet

the damned part cost well over 100$ :confused: nearly 200$ MSRP
now i have to consult the FSM on the task involved replacing it to see if its within my wheelhouse or just leave it until the clutch gets replaced which involves removing the prop shaft afaik

Have you done any diagnostic work on the carrier bearing?????

What is the mileage on the bearing?
What is the amount of side movement?
What is the amount of vertical movement?
Any modifications to the suspension?
What is the condition of the U-joints?

FWIW, you need another source for parts. I replaced all the U-joints and Carrier Bearing on my truck about 2 years past for about a $200 spend. All Dana/Spicer parts.

Last edited:
Suggest you quit guessing and begin serious diagnostics. Run down one problem at a time, then fix it. Then move to the next problem.

You have analysis paralysis.

If I were you....I'd start with the clutch/trans issues. Then follow on with the drive train, then the suspension............... Your truck has multiple issues.

maybe it just needs some new plugs after ~52k miles... the last set went much longer (about 70k) and never had this pinging issue which is or is not the clutch chatter on acceleration in upper gears lately
or it could all just be the heat LMAO
and will all go away once it gets so cold out

darned thing is i have yet to get a CEL light trigger for any of this at all

darned thing is i have yet to get a CEL light trigger for any of this at all
Those tucks didn't have a whole lot of piss ant issues to trigger a cel like these new trucks. Usually it's a cat, or o2 sensors that are first to set off a cel on those older trucks, or it's possible your cel doesn't even work anymore.
My best guess is your suffering from many worn out, out of spec components on their last leg. Your truck is letting you know it's tired, and wants to be put out to pasture, but your not listening .

CEL = Check ENGINE light.

It won't indicate squat on the clutch, trans, suspension or brakes.
It will if it's a knock sensor making this weird pinging over the past several months
Or so the research indicating an issue such as this states a certain code

Have you tried running a few ounces of sea foam SLOWLY into the throttle body while the truck is running? It's going to smoke alot, and nearly stall, but it will de-carbonize your valves, and piston crowns some. If done correctly this might stop the pinging.

? pinging coming from the 87 octane ethanol blended gas I've been using

the deCarb service they wanted me to get at the dealershop?
You don't need any special de-carb services if you're able to fill your gas tank. You can try a few tanks of a higher octane fuel grade to see if the pinging stops. If so, try sea foam in it like I mentioned. This pinging is slowly destroying your engine whether you realize it, or not.

Last edited:
You don't need any special de-carb services if you're able to fill your gas tank. You can try a few tanks of a higher octane fuel grade to see if the pinging stops. If so, try sea foaming it like I mentioned. This pinging is slowly destroying your engine whether you realize it, or not.

yeah, see how absolutely clueless i am :(

my understanding is this has been the aged clutch parts doing this pinging and chatter

when this faint pinging first started earlier this year i did take it into a transmission shop to diagnostics and paid good coin to be told there is nothing wrong they could not hear anything like i could and just said its a rattle from some exhaust hangar!

I never implied the pinging is definitely coming from the engine...it could be. You probably do have a host of other possibilities with that high of mileage.
Just for your information, I recently noticed on tw there is a guy with a 3rd gen v6 3.5 with 350k on his tacoma thats still running good, so if true, there's hope after all on these newer taco's.

Back