? is the center-support (carrier) bearing the source of the current taco ills + vibes

I never implied the pinging is definitely coming from the engine...it could be. You probably do have a host of other possibilities with that high of mileage.
Just for your information, I recently noticed on tw there is a guy with a 3rd gen v6 3.5 with 350k on his tacoma thats still running good, so if true, there's hope after all on these newer taco's.

that is good to hear!
there is a time-factor involved that will not be known until it gets there and how it all holds up (especially that computerized BS)... like 1/4 century time lol

i have not yet checked to see if it pings/knocks in neutral with high RPMs near 3k, somewhere in that area...

that is good to hear!
there is a time-factor involved that will not be known until it gets there and how it all holds up (especially that computerized BS)... like 1/4 century time lol
As far as the electronics in these new trucks, they're more reliable, and longer lasting than the mechanical components. If anything its the sensors I wonder about.
i have not yet checked to see if it pings/knocks in neutral with high RPMs near 3k, somewhere in that area...
Pinging will be more likely to happen under load, not cruising along. You might be getting confused with piston slap your hearing. That happens when the cylinder bore size to piston skirt have excessive tolerance due to wear....aka high mileage. Usually at that point a piston can break at anytime causing a catastrophic engine failure....blowed up.

It will if it's a knock sensor making this weird pinging over the past several months
Or so the research indicating an issue such as this states a certain code
The knock sensor is not in the clutch, trans, suspension or brakes.

It is in the ENGINE.

Didn't this discussion start with a suspect worn out carrier bearing. Its like working with a hummingbird. Can only focus on a flower for about 3 seconds.

I think there are so many different issues ready to rear their ugly head on jays truck he doesn't know where to begin.

I think there are so many different issues ready to rear their ugly head on jays truck he doesn't know where to begin.

one small and or large repair atta time :confused:
make taco truck happy happy
i am fortunate (perhaps?) with that wobbly front hub and bearing shaking the brakes, the dealer tech noted he was surprised it didn't break down the wheel and lose control on a high-speed broken road in the concrete jungle

That ain't all thats probably ready to go. Imo, owning various toyota's for at least 45 years...they die hard. I only had one back in the day with 22re that the engine failed.

the Gen1 dies HARD with a frame collapse... i have plenty of pics of one that such encountered this demise
numerous folks out there put big $$$ into repairing the frame on these to keep the Gen1 dream alive :cool:
shake my head sometimes at the efforts they wish to underTake
but knowing whut all happened in 2oo5, it makes perfect sense..

You'll always get those that have more money then brains to preserve something they have become attached to.

You'll always get those that have more money then brains to preserve something they have become attached to.
There is no real ginuwine alternative to the gen1 taco in any way shape or form unless you gofor an old Ford ranger 'maybe'
Some like the 01-04 style
A few prefer the 98-00 style

Last edited:
Are you some sort of serious off-roader that you need only a gen1, or older? Except for that....stock for stock the later gen taco's do everything better.

easier to park? with style :cool:
don't need or wish a soccermomma taco everywhere.

Unless you have some sort of impaired vision issue, they are easier to park than my old tundra. They have cameras in them hooked up to a led dash screen that shows you exactly how much distance you have when parking. Even a toddler would be able to park one.
I could see your complaint if you have a small garage to park in that your gen1 has fit fine, otherwise parking is a non factor.

Last edited:
My eyesight went down the toilet once I reached 50. It called the need for reading glasses. As for far away, their still sharp as ever.

well honestly i CANNOT tell if these vibes are from the center support bearing OR THAT needle bearing up front that I was recently introduced to thanks to TF and tacojoel

shiny new center support bearing is on i was informed
should be looking mighty sharp underneath it all there

Are you some sort of serious off-roader that you need only a gen1, or older? Except for that....stock for stock the later gen taco's do everything better.

they definitely DO NOT do better bed access over the side rails even at stock height
i CANNOT reach top dead center of the Gen2 single cab 4wd stretching it with my fingers to grab at something small
BUT... the GMC Canyon is much worse I CANNOT even touch the bed reaching over the side rail when i checked one out onna lot awhile back

Back