is this nothing more than just surface rust?

I take it you've appointed yourself as Toyotas new rusty fame inspector, and now providing all us with regular updates.
I am still on the thirsty hunt for knowledge
There is much to learn still

How does an engine compartment get that roached for one?
It's like they driving in the winter with no hood or rinse it off with salt water!??

Afaik the frame was replaced on that last one from Massachusetts

California rust... afaik!

wots the difference in this Tundra frame coating vs. tacoma frame coating

Are you interested in this at all like I

I cannot believe some of the things and horror I have seen :oops:

The man needs a real hobby.

The only way you could slow rust down enough for Jay to be happy is to do the following.

Vacuum pack the truck in a sealed plastic bag.
Store the truck in an abandoned salt mine.
Seal the mine.
Pressurize the mine with N2.
Then pray.

Steel will rust. It is a simple process where Iron (Fe) combines with Oxygen (O2) to form FeO2. Its all about the Fe returning to its lowest energy state.

There is nothing special or low quality about steel in Toyotas. ALL steel rusts.

Jay, what knowledge are you gaining by collecting pictures of stranger's trucks???

it is exotic metal because of how fast and the manner in which

whilst at a stop light today a Ford Ranger pulled up next with roached rockers
i peeked into the rear wheel well and there was rust everywhere
but in NO WAY did it look like the roached peeling freckled crap coating that yota used on the Gen1
not even close

If you hit your mileage target, since you are so unhappy with Toyota. Perhaps you would consider jumping into a Ford Maverick.

more like jump into the grave or oven as i have very very very little left in me anymore :confused:

Don't sell yourself short.

You are still nimble enough to crawl under stanger's trucks to inspect and photograph their chassis.

There are certain types of steel that resist rust longer than others. They're called weathering steel. Unfortunately dana, that manufactures the tacoma frames uses the cheapest stuff they can buy.

If you hit your mileage target, since you are so unhappy with Toyota. Perhaps you would consider jumping into a Ford Maverick.
I don't think jay will be happy unless riding around with a broken down clunker.

Last edited:
but i definitely do need to stay on top of it all so it does not become a rotty lookin clunker
so far I've spent 26+ years at it in the salted winter slop but still needs more and more attention all the time nowdays

Last edited:
Back