monroe quikStruts and wheel wobble...

Price was far less, I think I paid about $150 per wheel at the time. They might have been refurbished wheels. I'm still checking if I can find that invoice. I thought I kept if I ever needed to buy another set of wheels......I know its here somewhere among all this junk.

Many potential sources......

Fleabay, Craigslist, salvage yard, For Sale Ads, refurb sellers, Tacoma forums.........

I scored a set (4) of 17" OEM Alloys for $200 (shipping included), spent another $400 to strip, prime, paint, clear with automotive 2K paint. Final was to shift the rubber from the old rims to the new with a balance. This cost $100. Took the old wheels to aluminum scrap for $125. All in cost was $575 or $144/wheel.

Bottom line, I found a good set that needed work for a reasonable price. The point is you will not find replacements for a song and dance, its gonna cost significant coin.

i was planning to send these yota wheels off to get refinished to look much nicer in KCMO (alloy wheel repair) cost of over 700$ for the set
but since two have near bit the dust on the roadForce balance machine i will need to do more evaluation

DT did recommend some of their aftermarket stylish wheels but IDK
my peer tacoJohn in Denver with 725k miles on his '97 has some Dick Cepek wheels but not sure about those on my rig, some other Gen1 peers say the alloy wheels used on the trucks from '95.5 to 2000 are the bees knees of taco wheels

'97 Toyota Powdercoat Wheel.jpg

'97 Toyota Powdercoat Wheel front logo.jpg

my nearly 300k wheels have SO MANY scars and chips in them
plus the original outer weights made for some nice scarring corrosion marks

That very wheel is available on wheelsameica.com for $164/ea. Those you've pictured have been painted.

1681741316390.png

is that wheel Toyota stamped and made in Canada?
i cannot zoom in much to see any deets

'97 powderCoat wheel back canada.jpg

'97 Toyota Powdercoat Wheel front logo.jpg

C'mon...... I've given you the website, the item that matches, the price, stock on hand.......

You could take an initiative to contact wheelsamerica.com for more details.

I'm not gonna buy and mount 'em for ya...................

my current michelin defender tires are at low 6-7 32nds left of tread so imma gonna need some new shoes probably later this year and will just have them mount new tire to new wheel(s) unless that damaged wheel they put onto the back starts causing other issues which I have yet to delve into

I am thinking rear axle bearing/seals/drum brakes might be affected after a spell
or maybe not?

Any vibrations or abnormal behavior (wobble) will be transmitted into the rear suspension and components.

Over time and mileage, this could potentially destroy bearings, shocks, springs, brakes, possibly affect the gears in the diff................... Meaning the repair cost could escalate easily. These types of failures generally manifest well after the cause has been removed.......think hidden damage.

Considering the age, mileage and overall condition of your truck, I'd suggest to NOT put this off. Replace the wheels, remount the existing rubber, then replace the rubber when the Michys are worn out. This will also spread the cost over a longer period. Smaller chunks over time vs 1 BIG chunk. New tires (4) will push $800 pretty quick, adding wheels (4) for another $6-800.....

Good luck with your decision.

Found the company I dealt with for my tundras wheels.......OriginalWheels.com
They were able to give me exact replicas at a reasonable cost.

It tis a veally cool video.
Thats was how the lower strut bushing looked on my tundra after hitting a large pothole at 50 mph.

Last edited:
i do wonder if this was the issue i have been having or not
weak bushings on them?
they are off the truck now so how to test them out

It's very obvious to see bad lower strut bushings unless your vision impaired. The lower strut mounting bolt eye will no longer be centered in its rubber bushing. The bushing's rubber will look blown out with metal to metal..

Back