needing a new MT clutch procedure

which problem are you referring to? I found the pressure plate has some sort of springs that could be an issue or not? with the floating sensation in the lower gears

apparently some shop will NOT resurface a flywheel
got an estimate from local indie yota shop that i THOT did resurfacing if it was resurfaceable
now they told me they just put a new flywheel in there
LOL :(

the deets on what EXACTLY they do with it dismantled in the 9 hours leaves much to be desired
Could be an issue with the throwout bearing fork having excessive wear at pivot points. Idk, you need to inspect all the parts carefully for their wear areas.
As far as resurfacing flywheels, any automotive machine shop does them.

Is it bad to engine brake with a manual transmission?

Engine braking works by creating a vacuum between the throttle valve and the engine which causes the car to slow down. As it turns out, it is fine to engine brake with a manual transmission and allow the engine to slow the vehicle down.

Could be an issue with the throwout bearing fork having excessive wear at pivot points. Idk, you need to inspect all the parts carefully for their wear areas.
As far as resurfacing flywheels, any automotive machine shop does them.

you have to dismantle stuffs to look at those items for wear?

Engine braking works by creating a vacuum between the throttle valve and the engine which causes the car to slow down. As it turns out, it is fine to engine brake with a manual transmission and allow the engine to slow the vehicle down.

i vaguely recall this indie Yota shop telling me a few years ago when i inquired about a new clutch that they would resurface the flywheel but now they tell me no they don't and want 300$ for a new aftermarket flywheel from LUK

i am still on the hunt for the quoted estimate they gave me back then

A year-old quote has zippo value. It certainly wouldn't be honored.

Yes, they need to disassemble to inspect. Very hard to see internal parts from the outside.

For the shop, it is less time and expense to replace the flywheel. There are more logistics with resurfacing. Finding a machine shop with capability and time, cost of the machine shop, schedule of the shop, transporting to/from the shop......... This will typically lay up a vehicle for 2 or more days. So, the repair shop needs to remove the flywheel, haul the vehicle out of the bay, park it, haul it back for install...... It is simpler, less time, less labor to replace the flywheel. A benefit for the customer is his ride is in & out of the shop in a day.

so previously in this topic thread (Oct/Nov) it was mentioned that they can resurface flywheels... if needed
You do know they resurface flywheels. I've never had to replace one unless way out of spec.
Once upon a lifetime or 2 ago....I had a 5 spd in a Buick Skyhawk with the 3.8L V-6. Yes, I was in my early driving years. That car would eat throw-out bearing, diaphragm, clutch and need the flywheel resurfaced about every 30K +/- miles. There was a lot of stop-n-go traffic and several hills on my daily route.

I'm really surprised your clutch lasted for that many miles.

The flywheel should only need a resurface. Its prolly a good idea to renew all the seals that are accessible during the service. You got a bunch of miles and a little prevention at this point is prudent.

Yes, they can resurface a flywheel. It is becoming cost inefficient.

Brake disc rotors are already on the path of replacement as preferred. Sure, these rotors can be resurfaced. These are actually easier to resurface because they don't need a big grinder. Most disc rotors can be resurfaced on a engine lathe.

and i suppose they STILL charge U the hour or whatever is cooked in those books they got what it takes to resurface them?
no adjustments at all

Engine braking uses the compression of the engine to slow the vehicle down. Depending what gear you're in will determine the vehicles speed.

Yes, they need to disassemble to inspect. Very hard to see internal parts from the outside.

For the shop, it is less time and expense to replace the flywheel. There are more logistics with resurfacing. Finding a machine shop with capability and time, cost of the machine shop, schedule of the shop, transporting to/from the shop......... This will typically lay up a vehicle for 2 or more days. So, the repair shop needs to remove the flywheel, haul the vehicle out of the bay, park it, haul it back for install...... It is simpler, less time, less labor to replace the flywheel. A benefit for the customer is his ride is in & out of the shop in a day.
Back in the late 60's, and 70's, you could go down to the local automotive machine shop in the morning, and they'd resurface your flywheel by lunchtime. Most of those guys today are gone. Heck, now you can buy a complete high performance street engine cheaper than having a shop custom build you one.

But it does have value if there were more deets on there on exactly what the F they are doing for nine hours

Quotes typically only has a list of parts, labor hours and tax.

There usually isn't squat on procedure or diagnosis.

If the flywheel is resurfaced, you will be charged for the machine shops invoice and the cost of labor to remove/install the flywheel. You certainly didn't think the machine shop cost would not be passed on to you.......

I thot this indie yota shop does it in hose! The resurfacing
I was under that impression anyhow...

I need a detailed description on everything that is going to be touched and dismantled
There are other parts that can be changed out inspected while it's apart so my research has come up with

I need a detailed description on everything that is going to be touched and dismantled
There are other parts that can be changed out inspected while it's apart so my research has come up with
Hang onto that wish really tight.

I doubt if any shop will hand over the Shop Procedure manual.

Your best path is to be less retentive and find a shop/mechanic you're comfortable with. Ask for a detailed quote. Have the work done. Before paying the invoice, request a test drive and all the removed parts. Then compare the used parts to the parts listed on the invoice. If all is good, ask if there is any sort of warranty on the repair. If there is a warranty, get it in writing, dated and signed. Pay the invoice and drive away. Any problems should manifest in the first day or so. If problems, take it back to the shop.

so my rig has had clutch bearing chatter for 133k miles now (diagnosed by a Yota pro as such at 162k miles on the odo)
OR it does not have any chatter and never fckn did...

so my rig has had clutch bearing chatter for 133k miles now (diagnosed by a Yota pro as such at 162k miles on the odo)
OR it does not have any chatter and never fckn did...
The throwout bearing isn't a source of a clutch that chatters. Its likely caused by burn't/rough sections on the flywheel when the pressure plate, and disc mate up with it.

the transmission shop made NO mention to me of that there

The throwout bearing isn't a source of a clutch that chatters. Its likely caused by burn't/rough sections on the flywheel when the pressure plate, and disc mate up with it.

for all i know its the fuel injectors making this noise like a sewing machine tick tick tick tick tick

Back